VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Site Changes
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:31 am 

I don't often disagree with W2 but I don't think merging sites would be a good idea and, I imagine, it's outside the remit of what's being considered here. I agree that BF.com is an entirely lost opportunity - earlier iterations of it were superior and promised features have never materialised, so it's truly stuck in reverse. As for Roxy's site, it's so utterly built around the debut album it's hard to see how anything they ever did later is ever going to feature. It's a crying shame. John's site has the virtue of being an independent fan site, free of interference (however well intended that might be) and long may that continue.

As others have said, I'd change very little - 'if it ain't broke' (and it most certainly isn't) and all that. I'd keep the forum - yes it's quiet at times (like now, understandably) but, the occasional fracas aside, it's a place for civilised discourse on all things BF/RM. You just don't get that on FB/Twitter, both of which are pretty toxic (social, sic, media) and far more open to nefarious interlopers than here.

The site is beautifully presented but, as with all things, I guess a fresh look would be good. I know that can be time-consuming and potentially expensive when there are as many pages to overhaul as VRM, but done well it's something that has an extraordinary shelf life - witness the number of changes to BF.com compared to VRM in its current form! Also, I recognise news is pretty sparse and there's no point posting for the sake of it, but maybe a few more updates on the homepage from time to time. I might be wrong but I think John has occasionally posted to the forum something that is worthy of the homepage (if only initially), although maybe that's just expediency?

This site has clearly always been a labour of love for John and, to a lesser extent, followers of VRM who recognise its unique contribution to the online RM experience and keep the forum alive, albeit occasionally on life support! So, I say, more of the same, please!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:24 pm 

I really like this site. It’s John’s stewardship of it and it’s knowledgeable and entertaining contributors that make it what it is.
I joined a Ferry /Roxy group on Facebook a few years ago . It was awful . I did not last long.
Not much needs to be changed, perhaps just the beige backdrop .

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:08 am 

It would be great if BF really wanted to do something with his website and on-line presence - and J.O'B would be a great resource/person to help make that happen. But IMHO BF is not gonna change his stripes at this point in his career/life, so best not to expend any energy diving down that rabbit hole...

I think VRM is a good site as it is, but anything that J.O'B thinks would be nice to update is fine IMHO. Thank you J.O'B!!!

It's been a while since I last posted, but I still like listening to Roxy as well as band members solo recordings, especially while driving. Lately I unearthed a live radio broadcast cd of Roxy in Oakland, CA on April 4, 1979 and have been experiencing a tour that passed me by 41 years ago. Wow, the Manifesto tour - with TGPT nailing it all down - was very impressive. So much better than what I heard at a Siren tour gig in '75!

It would be nice if something interesting in the world of Roxy and BF happened so there would be something compelling to post about. but that seems unlikely sad to say. I guess that a "deluxe" version of FYP might appear one of these days, however, it would need to have something NEW attached to make it of much interest (at least to me). Or maybe an enlarged version of VIVA! with all kinds of new, high quality live recordings from the 73-74 era would be waaay cool. But I won't be holding my breath... I'll believe it when I hear it...

Later,
DCJ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:40 pm 

[quote="DCJ"]It would be great if BF really wanted to do something with his website and on-line presence - and J.O'B would be a great resource/person to help make that happen. But IMHO BF is not gonna change his stripes at this point in his career/life, so best not to expend any energy diving down that rabbit hole...

Hipsters,

W2 violently but politely disagrees with DCJ’s assessment of friend Ferry’s capacity to change and innovate at any stage of the game.

For him, the ‘ Same Old Scene’ is a song, not a life choice and W2 would be surprised if he doesn’t keep an eye on events particularly when the market is changing at a pace.

Who knows when artists will ever be able to resurrect the old touring model or indeed if, the appetite of fans will return in the same way.

In this scenario, initiatives like Nick Cave’s sublime ‘Idiot Prayer’ are surely the way forward. It was a phenomenal event that has shown a new way of doing things that as well as being an artistic triumph will doubtless have proved to be hugely profitable.

BF is supremely placed to step into this new arena but to do it, you need a well animated web site that completely reflects your brand and which entertains fans. J.O’B is the man to manage that aspect.

For sure ‘Viva’ could continue as an independent and if that is the only option, it should but W2 thinks that BF would have everything to gain by considering new options.

Salutations a tous,

Windswept.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:08 pm 

W2:
You're right. BF could develop an engaging on-line presence and J.O'B could help him do it. I just don't think this is something that interests him and I doubt he'll do it. Just my opinion...

Has there been any news since early March as to what BF is doing to pass the time in the Covid Era? Maybe I missed it, but it seems that Bf has pretty much gone underground (figuratively!) since his London gigs in early March. I wonder how he has occupied himself?

In recent years, much of his time and energy went into sustaining the "never-ending tour." With touring in the conventional sense verboten for the foreseeable future, I wonder what his plans for the near future are...

DC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:27 pm 

DCJ wrote:
W2:
You're right. BF could develop an engaging on-line presence and J.O'B could help him do it. I just don't think this is something that interests him and I doubt he'll do it. Just my opinion...

Has there been any news since early March as to what BF is doing to pass the time in the Covid Era? Maybe I missed it, but it seems that Bf has pretty much gone underground (figuratively!) since his London gigs in early March. I wonder how he has occupied himself?

In recent years, much of his time and energy went into sustaining the "never-ending tour." With touring in the conventional sense verboten for the foreseeable future, I wonder what his plans for the near future are...

DC

Cher DCJ,

One suspects he’s been enjoying a little ‘Country Life’ in Sussex whilst contemplating the future or hopefully working on the long awaited biography but who knows ?

Regarding live work, I do hope he took in Nick Cave’s sublime ‘Idiot Prayer’ performance. That format is really the future and it would be fantastic to see him move in that direction.

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:15 pm 

Quote:
I wonder how he has occupied himself?

You'd think an artist with one's own studio would...

Sorry, just woke up from one of those bizarre, vivid, lockdown dreams we all seem to have been having lately.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:29 pm 

VRM has been a much loved source of information over the past 10-15 years and, unlike some websites, is easy to navigate, even for someone with IT skills as limited as mine.

I lean towards the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought and, since it's a part-time labour of love for John, there is no point in creating unnecessary work for him. Probably not everyone is aware that John has a full time career and a family to support outside of "Roxyworld", so we possibly already expect too much of him, even if we don't intend to.

I doubt whether BF would wish to effectively employ John on a full time basis and it's perhaps equally unlikely that such an arrangement would suit John, who enjoys his independence and the ability to comment freely on Roxy & Ferry matters. It's currently easier for John to say why he doesn't favour a song or a tour setlist, for example, than it would be if he was effectively criticising his employer! ;)

If BF wanted his official website to be officially "twinned" with VRM, I guess there would be a link from the former to the latter, as there once was. I personally think that the various Roxy members could seek to publicise their work via VRM far more than they do, but that's their choice.

I think someone mentioned dispensing with the sections on the band members' work outside Roxy, but I disagree; if anything, those areas could reasonably be expanded. This is particular true of Eddie's work; when I've met him he has always been genuinely touched to learn that he is held in such high regard by Roxy fans, as he felt that he had been almost written out of the band's history.

I agree with some others here, that the development of the memorabilia section here would be nice, but otherwise I can't think of other potential improvements. Thanks, John, and keep up the good work! :D

P.S. Those who can imagine BF contributing here directly have wonderfully vivid imaginations! :lol: But, hey, there's no harm in dreaming...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:28 pm 

Hi Smudge,

Pretty much agree with you 100%. I think that unlike a lot of forums, the one here has not suffered because of Facebook etc. Keeping a active presence on social media and one's own website is difficult and to my my knowledge Bill Nelson (BeBop Deluxe, Red Noise) is one of the few to achieve this, but then he is very committed to keeping in touch with his fans.

Like you I would favour expanding the forum to include the work of Eno, Eddie and Paul and perhaps other people who have played in Roxy over the years, such as Chris Spedding and Neil Hubbard. Eddie and Paul have always stayed in touch with there fans. In particular I remember a posting on Eddie's forum when he went into a lot of detail about how he was treated by Yes and also a posting by Paul on his forum about how Chris Tsangarides put him at ease in the studio. As a guitar player I'd also favour a section where musicians could talk about musical things, such gear, strings etc.

As regards the site itself if there is nothing happening to report the so be it.

One thing that I have been disappointed with is that while the likes of Brian May, Guy Pratt (and even Sting!) etc have been posting regularly on Youtube, there has been nothing from the members of Roxy. It's a shame - Phil did a great video about the "No Church in the Wild" story and I'd love to see more of that sort of thing. The Corona virus crisis has given musicians an ideal opportunity to connect with their fanbase and I feel it's a shame that some haven't done it. Fortunately for me as a fan of his Mr Fripp has:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjXm22yfIh0

Roger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:39 am 

Ahaha..
Yes Smudge :lol:
Never Stop Dreamin!!