VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Streaming Services
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:13 pm 

Interesting discussion. I am not into streaming but I have a huge collection of downloaded songs from iTunes. And of course I have transferred all my cds to iTunes as backup copies. Sometimes I listen to playlists of my favourite musicians or styles, music from my youth etc. That is a perfect compensation for all those boring radio stations with their chart programs or their heavy rotation of 1980s hits.

But the cd is still my medium. I own several thousands of them and still buy new ones to discover old and new musicians. For example Ella Fitzgerald and Ray Charles whom I both underrated somehow ... Lately I listened to Avalon several times in my car - and at home to Avonmore, Olympia and Mamouna. I want to have a booklet, I want to know which musicians played on the album and so I am afraid that I'll never be a customer for streaming ...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:22 am 

Vinny wrote:
I guess the other point is that along with technology, society has changed enormously. Back in the day music was really important and usually front and centre of a young person’s life (it was either listen to records in your room or watch 3 channels on TV with mum and dad). These days there is so much more in the mix with Netflix, YouTube, Tic Toc, Social media etc that for my kids, although they enjoy music, there is definitely not the anticipation of a new release or the joy of sneaking a transistor radio to school for the chart run down.

But again there are benefits, I can now communicate with Roxy Music aficionados on the other side of the world and I can give Brian Eno’s latest ambient release a spin whereas I probably wouldn’t have back in the day.

All in all I guess I am now closer to part 3 of ‘If There Is Something’ than the start of the season, however as I do possess the song on vinyl, tape, cd, and the dvd of Flashbacks of a Fool plus access to Spotify and YouTube, I guess I’ll be OK.

Cher Vinny,
Windswept is sure that you will be more than fine.
That said, you appear to be an individual that uses technology selectively to enhance your life. W2 has a similar philosophy and we may be slightly typical of our vintage.
Other generations are much more myopic and are addicted to ‘The Beast’ as a sole source of entertainment and the medium just doesn’t encourage the same sought of knowledge, love or curiosity towards music as vinyl or other formats.
W2 fears we are loosing something important and that music as a profession is under threat.
Salutations,
Windswept

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:17 pm 

Some very interesting points. I concur with Windswept2 that many, if any, of us are digital dinosaurs and use technology to the extent we feel we need it in our lives. Contributions here bear witness to the fact we all are capable of embracing it. Just as I think we're a 'something for nothing' society, I also fervently believe that just because you can do something, doesn't mean you necessarily should, something that boffins inventing ever more time-saving / life-enhancing and ultimately banal widgets rarely - if ever - seem to understand! And so it is with streaming. Just because you can get the music digitally on the cheap (or worse still, steal it), listen to the tracks you've heard on the radio to the exclusion of the rest - with no appreciation of the coherent whole, artwork or musicians - doesn't mean you should. Less haste, greater understanding.
The ultimate irony of it is those younger than us see it as progress. Dear, oh dear.