VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Roxy's festival tour
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:09 pm 

2010 - the year of the roxy?
just when we expected another ferry solo effort, roxy reunite for the first time since 2006. listening last night to one of my earliest bootlegs, a fantastic 1972 remake/remodel, i couldn't help but think that roxy are better off returning to what they do (did) best. back in the day, the band were known for their spontaneity - and dare i say it, the occasional musical blemish. as much as i've enjoyed recent roxy reunions, they have been overtly rehearsed - to the point where every gig sounds the same. perhaps ferry and co are better off going back to basics and "letting things go" a bit. in the true spirit of a festival show, it would be great to see roxy improvise - like we know they can - and play more freely.
many have pointed to bryan's lost vocals - whilst i acknowledge he sounds nothing like he used to - he still has a unique style of delivery, and i am far from turning down the volume just yet. perhaps an occasional, impromptu burst from mackay and manzanera will take the spotlight of bryan's voice, and keep the sceptics from his door.
what i'd give to see roxy let loose - extended instrumentals, free-flowing medlies and a few more hidden gems that haven't been performed live for decades.
musically, the band have definitely still got it, but are they prepared to take a punt so late in the day? a brushed up catalogue of roxy live 2001 is unlikely to inspire viva visitors.
i can't help but feel that bryan and co have a real opportunity to pick up on the whole fesitval vibe (not to mention a new, younger audience). can they recreate the magic of '72? lovebox will tell...

Post subject: Re: Roxy's festival tour
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:50 am 

I think Ferry seems against improvisation these days (I remember an interview when he said he thought the others weren't good enough to improvise). Of late it's been very much recreating the original sounds rather than changing arrangements.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:55 pm 

Picking songs that I feel have been overplayed what songs from the same album would you replace them with?

Ladytron
Dreamhome Heartache
Song for Europe
Out of the Blue
Both Ends Burning
Dance Away
My Only Love
Heart Still Beating

My own choice would be:

2HB
Beauty Queen
Serenade
Three and Nine
Whirlwind
Spin Me Round
Over You
Take a Chance With Me

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:08 pm 

I'd like to add:

Manifesto
Stronger Through the Years
Rain, Rain, Rain
The Space Between
Just Another High
Amazona
Triptych
Bitter Sweet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:54 pm 

In all honesty, why do many old band sound as they were driving on autopilot? I`m thinking of "Both ends burning" from the Roxy 2001 live album.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:54 pm 

Flesh + Blood is superb live. I remember Wembley 1980. I wouldn't mind seeing that performed live again at the expense of song for europe or heart still beating or tara or love is the drug or dream home or even strand . All great songs but it would be great to hear something different. But I can sympathise with the band. I saw Bryan on the Frantic tour and heard a few people at the bar moaning that they had never heard of half the songs performed and why didnt he do more singles. SO they have to cater for everyone.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:02 pm 

This all stinks of promotion for Bryans solo album. More Roxy publicity means more Bryan publicity. I will buy the cds and see the shows but it sounds like we are all being taken for a ride. Don't expect any new Roxy stuff. Ever !!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:26 pm 

Well, now it finally looks like the Irish get their fair share of Roxy. Enjoy! Us Scandinavians have no reason to complain...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:00 pm 

I'd lose

Re Make/Re Model
IEDHAH
A Song For Europe
OOTB
LITD
Dance Away
My Only Love
Avalon (one of my favourite later Roxy songs, but never captures the flavour of the original live)

I'd Love:

Would You Believe?
Strictly Confidential
Amazona
A Really Good Time
Nightingale
Spin Me Round
Flesh & Blood
To Turn You On.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:13 pm 

Triptych - that would be a amazing show indeed! I would be pleased if any one of the first six songs you've listed was included in the set list