VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans
 
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:57 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: BBC4's 'Musical History'
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:12 am
Posts: 270
Typical lazy journalism; Predictable Roxy tracks and a bias on Ferry's solo career, nothing about the diversity of Eno/Manzanera/MacKay solo work?

Waste of another hour of my life with the exception of 'This Is Tomorrow Calling'.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BBC4's 'Musical History'
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:01 am
Posts: 94
Stabbs MacKenzie wrote:
Typical lazy journalism; Predictable Roxy tracks and a bias on Ferry's solo career, nothing about the diversity of Eno/Manzanera/MacKay solo work?

Waste of another hour of my life with the exception of 'This Is Tomorrow Calling'.


I understand your frustration, but I was just glad that they showed something and the band hasn't been forgotten.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BBC4's 'Musical History'
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:40 am
Posts: 368
Location: Merseyside
Quote:
I understand your frustration, but I was just glad that they showed something and the band hasn't been forgotten.

Me too. No excusing lazy journalism and with only an hour it's perhaps understandable that the focus for solo work was on BF, but Roxy have such a low profile these days (which, to be fair, is partly of their own making), I'll take (almost) anything.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BBC4's 'Musical History'
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 7:23 pm
Posts: 1218
Hipsters,

W2 finds himself in a most unusual situation - he actually agrees with ‘The Stabber’.

It was boring beyond belief and as for those n’er-do-wells who were doing the supposed commentary, where the hell did they get that lot from ?

Lazy journalism indeed. A complete diner de chien !

Salutations,

W2


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BBC4's 'Musical History'
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:22 am
Posts: 70
Just caught up with this and quite enjoyed it although my expectations were low after reading the reviews on this forum beforehand. Especially good to see the recovered TOTP Street Life, I believe this is the first time it's been broadcast since its original transmission back in 1973. Surprised by the omission of Jealous Guy and one or two other tracks but a pretty good run down of Roxy/ Ferry's greatest hits otherwise.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BBC4's 'Musical History'
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:12 am
Posts: 270
Windswept2 wrote:
W2 finds himself in a most unusual situation - he actually agrees with ‘The Stabber’.

It had to happen one day! ;)

Buon Natale,

Stabbs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BBC4's 'Musical History'
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:12 am
Posts: 270
Dean wrote:
Especially good to see the recovered TOTP Street Life, I believe this is the first time it's been broadcast since its original transmission back in 1973.

It's been on quite a lot since its 'discovery', I've got it on at least one 'best of/history of' DVD, but true, it's a gem!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BBC4's 'Musical History'
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:00 am 
Offline
Site Owner

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 8:15 pm
Posts: 824
Location: Inverness, Scotland
I wrote this elsewhere online so some of you may have already read this:

You can excuse a movie like Bohemian Rhapsody for messing around with some of the facts and chronology to make a movie flow etc but not in a documentary. Why finish a documentary about Roxy Music with a Bryan Ferry solo performance of a cover version off a solo album.

Where on the first album cover does it say "hair colour blue/black"? The woman tried to make the "style with substance" quote all her own as if she was the first to say it.

I looked forward in a way to what the 90's guys like Shaun Ryder & Gaz Coombes would say as Roxy documentaries usually have the 80's guys like ABC, Duran Duran etc talking about Roxy's influence on them, unfortunately they didn't add much. It was great to see the Street Life 'lost' Top Of The Pops for sure but to say it was their first top 5 single when it only reached number 9 some 16 months after Virginia Plain was at number 4 is just lazy journalism. Why make a quote like that without checking the facts first.

They mentioned that the band kept changing but didn't mention Andy & Phil who with Bryan were on every album and co-wrote a lot of the music they were blabbing on about. This seems like someone has approached them and said "fancy taking part in a Roxy Music documentary?" then went off and read a wee bit somewhere about all the buzz words and expressions that are said over and over about the band then try and convince the listener that they are their own actual thoughts and opinions:

I don't understand the timing or the point of this documentary. It didn't add anything for long time fans, and can't imagine it enticing new fans into finding out more and listening to Roxy

J.O'B.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BBC4's 'Musical History'
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:12 am
Posts: 270
VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
I wrote this elsewhere online so some of you may have already read this:

You can excuse a movie like Bohemian Rhapsody for messing around with some of the facts and chronology to make a movie flow etc but not in a documentary. Why finish a documentary about Roxy Music with a Bryan Ferry solo performance of a cover version off a solo album.

Where on the first album cover does it say "hair colour blue/black"? The woman tried to make the "style with substance" quote all her own as if she was the first to say it.

I looked forward in a way to what the 90's guys like Shaun Ryder & Gaz Coombes would say as Roxy documentaries usually have the 80's guys like ABC, Duran Duran etc talking about Roxy's influence on them, unfortunately they didn't add much. It was great to see the Street Life 'lost' Top Of The Pops for sure but to say it was their first top 5 single when it only reached number 9 some 16 months after Virginia Plain was at number 4 is just lazy journalism. Why make a quote like that without checking the facts first.

They mentioned that the band kept changing but didn't mention Andy & Phil who with Bryan were on every album and co-wrote a lot of the music they were blabbing on about. This seems like someone has approached them and said "fancy taking part in a Roxy Music documentary?" then went off and read a wee bit somewhere about all the buzz words and expressions that are said over and over about the band then try and convince the listener that they are their own actual thoughts and opinions:

I don't understand the timing or the point of this documentary. It didn't add anything for long time fans, and can't imagine it enticing new fans into finding out more and listening to Roxy

J.O'B.

Totally agree with you John.

I always thought the quote was "Style over substance" when the music industry had a real downer on Roxy for appearing from nowhere without 'paying their dues'!?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BBC4's 'Musical History'
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:35 pm 
Offline
Site Owner

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 8:15 pm
Posts: 824
Location: Inverness, Scotland
[/quote]
Totally agree with you John.

I always thought the quote was "Style over substance" when the music industry had a real downer on Roxy for appearing from nowhere without 'paying their dues'!?
[/quote]

The Johnny Rogan book was called "Style With Substance"

J.O'B.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roxy-Music-Joh ... 0352310766


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Custom style by Designlike based on Minimal by DEVPPL