VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: BBC4's 'Musical History'
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:14 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
Why finish a documentary about Roxy Music with a Bryan Ferry solo performance of a cover version off a solo album.

Stabbs MacKenzie wrote:
Typical lazy journalism; Predictable Roxy tracks and a bias on Ferry's solo career, nothing about the diversity of Eno/Manzanera/MacKay solo work?

To be fair, the programme’s title was “A Musical History - Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music”.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:54 am 

Quote:
To be fair, the programme’s title was “A Musical History - Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music”.

I suppose the thing that surprised me was the almost total lack of credit given to individual members and what each brought to the table?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:30 pm 

Sadly, I reckon that you were way too optimistic on this one, Stabbs, so you were destined to be disappointed by the quality of the product. It would have surprised me if there had been any depth to the programme whatsoever - never mind time and effort being given to examining the individual contributions (and solo work) of the guys. Roxy don’t have enough ooomph with the public any more (if they ever did?) to warrant that kind of treatment.

That said, this particular show really was a pile of mince!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:01 am 

Avondale wrote:
Sadly, I reckon that you were way too optimistic on this one, Stabbs, so you were destined to be disappointed by the quality of the product. It would have surprised me if there had been any depth to the programme whatsoever - never mind time and effort being given to examining the individual contributions (and solo work) of the guys. Roxy don’t have enough ooomph with the public any more (if they ever did?) to warrant that kind of treatment.

That said, this particular show really was a pile of mince!

That's probably the saddest thing I've ever read on this forum Avondale, because, deep down, I know you're right :(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:29 am 

Well the show was only an hour long, so difficult to dwell too much on individual members contributions. That said, if anything Eno's contribution to the early Roxy was overstated, but nothing new there.

Although there were a few factual errors, and many a member on these boards could have done a better job, I strangely still thought is was watchable.