VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: BBC4's 'Musical History'
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:19 pm 

Typical lazy journalism; Predictable Roxy tracks and a bias on Ferry's solo career, nothing about the diversity of Eno/Manzanera/MacKay solo work?

Waste of another hour of my life with the exception of 'This Is Tomorrow Calling'.

Post subject: Re: BBC4's 'Musical History'
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:25 pm 

Stabbs MacKenzie wrote:
Typical lazy journalism; Predictable Roxy tracks and a bias on Ferry's solo career, nothing about the diversity of Eno/Manzanera/MacKay solo work?

Waste of another hour of my life with the exception of 'This Is Tomorrow Calling'.

I understand your frustration, but I was just glad that they showed something and the band hasn't been forgotten.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:15 am 

Quote:
I understand your frustration, but I was just glad that they showed something and the band hasn't been forgotten.

Me too. No excusing lazy journalism and with only an hour it's perhaps understandable that the focus for solo work was on BF, but Roxy have such a low profile these days (which, to be fair, is partly of their own making), I'll take (almost) anything.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:39 am 

Hipsters,

W2 finds himself in a most unusual situation - he actually agrees with ‘The Stabber’.

It was boring beyond belief and as for those n’er-do-wells who were doing the supposed commentary, where the hell did they get that lot from ?

Lazy journalism indeed. A complete diner de chien !

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:42 pm 

Just caught up with this and quite enjoyed it although my expectations were low after reading the reviews on this forum beforehand. Especially good to see the recovered TOTP Street Life, I believe this is the first time it's been broadcast since its original transmission back in 1973. Surprised by the omission of Jealous Guy and one or two other tracks but a pretty good run down of Roxy/ Ferry's greatest hits otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:59 am 

Windswept2 wrote:
W2 finds himself in a most unusual situation - he actually agrees with ‘The Stabber’.

It had to happen one day! ;)

Buon Natale,

Stabbs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:02 am 

Dean wrote:
Especially good to see the recovered TOTP Street Life, I believe this is the first time it's been broadcast since its original transmission back in 1973.

It's been on quite a lot since its 'discovery', I've got it on at least one 'best of/history of' DVD, but true, it's a gem!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:00 am 
Site Owner

I wrote this elsewhere online so some of you may have already read this:

You can excuse a movie like Bohemian Rhapsody for messing around with some of the facts and chronology to make a movie flow etc but not in a documentary. Why finish a documentary about Roxy Music with a Bryan Ferry solo performance of a cover version off a solo album.

Where on the first album cover does it say "hair colour blue/black"? The woman tried to make the "style with substance" quote all her own as if she was the first to say it.

I looked forward in a way to what the 90's guys like Shaun Ryder & Gaz Coombes would say as Roxy documentaries usually have the 80's guys like ABC, Duran Duran etc talking about Roxy's influence on them, unfortunately they didn't add much. It was great to see the Street Life 'lost' Top Of The Pops for sure but to say it was their first top 5 single when it only reached number 9 some 16 months after Virginia Plain was at number 4 is just lazy journalism. Why make a quote like that without checking the facts first.

They mentioned that the band kept changing but didn't mention Andy & Phil who with Bryan were on every album and co-wrote a lot of the music they were blabbing on about. This seems like someone has approached them and said "fancy taking part in a Roxy Music documentary?" then went off and read a wee bit somewhere about all the buzz words and expressions that are said over and over about the band then try and convince the listener that they are their own actual thoughts and opinions:

I don't understand the timing or the point of this documentary. It didn't add anything for long time fans, and can't imagine it enticing new fans into finding out more and listening to Roxy

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:53 am 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
I wrote this elsewhere online so some of you may have already read this:

You can excuse a movie like Bohemian Rhapsody for messing around with some of the facts and chronology to make a movie flow etc but not in a documentary. Why finish a documentary about Roxy Music with a Bryan Ferry solo performance of a cover version off a solo album.

Where on the first album cover does it say "hair colour blue/black"? The woman tried to make the "style with substance" quote all her own as if she was the first to say it.

I looked forward in a way to what the 90's guys like Shaun Ryder & Gaz Coombes would say as Roxy documentaries usually have the 80's guys like ABC, Duran Duran etc talking about Roxy's influence on them, unfortunately they didn't add much. It was great to see the Street Life 'lost' Top Of The Pops for sure but to say it was their first top 5 single when it only reached number 9 some 16 months after Virginia Plain was at number 4 is just lazy journalism. Why make a quote like that without checking the facts first.

They mentioned that the band kept changing but didn't mention Andy & Phil who with Bryan were on every album and co-wrote a lot of the music they were blabbing on about. This seems like someone has approached them and said "fancy taking part in a Roxy Music documentary?" then went off and read a wee bit somewhere about all the buzz words and expressions that are said over and over about the band then try and convince the listener that they are their own actual thoughts and opinions:

I don't understand the timing or the point of this documentary. It didn't add anything for long time fans, and can't imagine it enticing new fans into finding out more and listening to Roxy

J.O'B.

Totally agree with you John.

I always thought the quote was "Style over substance" when the music industry had a real downer on Roxy for appearing from nowhere without 'paying their dues'!?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:35 pm 
Site Owner

[/quote]
Totally agree with you John.

I always thought the quote was "Style over substance" when the music industry had a real downer on Roxy for appearing from nowhere without 'paying their dues'!?
[/quote]

The Johnny Rogan book was called "Style With Substance"

J.O'B.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roxy-Music-Joh ... 0352310766