VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Uncut's Ultimate Guide
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:31 am 

UKRichard wrote:
Quite right Roxy - heaven knows why I thought it came out in 95 - apart from the CD box of the same name. I think I'm confused by the change - at some point in time - from a 2 disc DVD to a (much cheaper and attractice) 1 disc? Who knows? #SeniorMoment!

I am not aware of a 1 disc version. :)

Quote:
Also agree about the cover. They used the same shot the only other time that Roxy appeared on Uncut's cover seven years ago but it really is an awful one and just proves how determined they were to use an Eno era photo. Surely there must have been a better one though.

The cover image is not actually a single shot Dean but individual photos of each member put together like a collage. The individual photos are all from the same shoot and there were a lot of group shots from the same photo session. The cover you mention from 2011 in fact has a different shot of Bryan which is a slight improvement on the one they have used for this special edition. It seems like the old mean spirited attitude of the NME "Bryron Ferrari/Biryani Ferret" era is still in force here. I would have thought an "Ultimate Music Guide" was perhaps aimed at a wider audience than the die hard fans who are more than familiar with the contents already in which case a more visually attractive cover might have gained them some extra sales.

8-)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:41 am 

I am not aware of a 1 disc version.

The original 2DVD set was also released (subsequently, I think) as two single discs; volume 1 covered 1972-1976 and volume 2 was 1979-1982.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:33 am 

Some of the TrackMarks allocated by them are baffling. ITIS only merits 3 stars in their opinion - the same as My Little Girl and Cry Cry Cry. I know that these things are subjective (and not to be taken seriously) but in what bizarre parallel universe does that stack up?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:52 am 

Ah, ITIS, ...that cost me some digging up; If There Is Something! -And only 3 stars? I`m intending to by this mag when it arrives in my country, but it begins to look like a heap of paste and cut stuff. What we have reason to expect is a fresh view from the position of today.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:59 pm 

In fairness Uncut's Ultimate Guides have always been more reliant on archive journalism than contemporary pieces and it has been nice to revisit some of these old articles. Each Roxy album does still get its own original review here but the only decent one so far IMHO (and I'm half way through at this stage) is Graeme Thomson's take on Siren.

I agree that the star rating system is a bit of a joke. Unless I'm mistaken, the only thing that gets less than three stars in the whole magazine is Roxy's take on In the Midnight Hour. I happen to agree with that but they are definitely being overly generous in issuing three stars to some of Manifesto's duff tracks, such as Cryx3, Ain't That So and My Little Girl. Neither are Another Time Another Place, In Your Mind, or Dylanesque four star albums. On the opposite side of the coin issuing only three stars to If There Is Something and the Mamouna album is harsh IMHO.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:00 pm 

So that's it is it? 122 pages almost entirely split between Ferry's solo career and Eno's post Roxy!

Manzo gets a half hearted shout and MacKay is dismissed in a half page column? Christ, Ferry's gaucho outfit and ex-bass players command more coverage!!!

And TGPT? Huh, not a sniff!

"The Ultimate Roxy Music Guide? A f***ing waste of money don't they mean!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:53 pm 

Wouldn't go so far as to say it was a waste of money but I am a bit disappointed with it. Shame it wasn't held off to celebrate the R&R Hall of Fame induction as that might have increased the likliehood of the various band members engaging w/some contemporary interviews for it but I guess it was probably already being prepared for publication by the time of that announcement.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:54 pm 

Paul @Superdeluxeedition has his signed Manzanera / Mackay interview magazine for sale still £15 , I think.

https://www.shopsuperdeluxe.com/collect ... ed-booklet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:46 am 

avalon_eyes wrote:
Paul @Superdeluxeedition has his signed Manzanera / Mackay interview magazine for sale still £15 , I think.

https://www.shopsuperdeluxe.com/collect ... ed-booklet

Thanks for the link ! Just ordered 1 :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:37 pm 

To clarify , I have no links whatsoever to Superdeluxeedition .
I thought this would be of interest to Viva! subscribers.