VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame review
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:09 pm 

EJ: I do recall him saying that "they knew not to ask" him to rejoin or something to that effect.

The key to remember that EJ was not a formal legal member of the band, and Ferry / Manzanera have always worked with a lot of different musicians. The addition of bass player Gary Tibbs for Manifesto echoed the addition of EJ several years before: both young men with teen appeal.

One other note. I agree with many of the other fans on this board - no more Roxy shows would be dignified. Ferry's voice is weakening, which suits the older material he's doing, but for Roxy it really is a stretch. To my mind the Apollo show in 2001 is the "farewell" and the track 'For Your Pleasure' a fitting denouement.

Love the band, always will - cheers
Kevin roxymusicsongs.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:54 pm 

Richard wrote:
richirama wrote:
It's a shame people are focussing on the negatives.

I have to say as a long time fan of Roxy I am immensely proud of this accolade for the band which is long overdue and well deserved by all.

As a band that has influenced so many other bands of different genres over a long period of time they fully deserve their place in the Hall of Fame.

Let's be grateful that the members of the band are still healthy enough to perform live and still look good doing so.

Well done to them.

Well said

Well said indeed.

8-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:05 am 

Quote:
Of course, the most remarkable aspect of the RRHOF reunion was the involvement of EJ after a hiatus of 43 years. In this context, it would have been nice if BF could have offered some acknowledgement of EJ's violin solo on OOTB - just a simple shout-out like "on violin, Eddie Jobson!" But no, there was nothing...

Not quite nothing DCJ. When OOTB finished Bryan had his back to the audience in front of the drummer, he turned and stretched his right arm out towards Eddie inviting the audience to give applause whilst walking forward to the microphone then acknowledged "......Eddie Jobson". This first thing he said was not clear as the audience were cheering so loudly. It might be more obvious when the TV broadcast is aired.

8-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:58 pm 

Agree with you 100% Kevin. From the footage I've seen Phil and Eddie Jobson were the outstanding performers of the night. And what do both of these people have in common? Musical careers outside of Roxy Music! EJ - Curved Air, Zappa, UK, Yes and his solo career. Same with Phil.

roxymusicsongs wrote:
EJ: I do recall him saying that "they knew not to ask" him to rejoin or something to that effect.

The key to remember that EJ was not a formal legal member of the band, and Ferry / Manzanera have always worked with a lot of different musicians. The addition of bass player Gary Tibbs for Manifesto echoed the addition of EJ several years before: both young men with teen appeal.

One other note. I agree with many of the other fans on this board - no more Roxy shows would be dignified. Ferry's voice is weakening, which suits the older material he's doing, but for Roxy it really is a stretch. To my mind the Apollo show in 2001 is the "farewell" and the track 'For Your Pleasure' a fitting denouement.

Love the band, always will - cheers
Kevin roxymusicsongs.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:18 pm 

Now that the dust has settled and the jetlag has been slept off, I thought that I'd submit my first hand memories of the event.

Organisation at the event was rigorous, without paying full attention to detail; they were quick enough to relieve me of a cigarette lighter at the security check (clearly I look like an ageing pyromaniac...), but were presumably blissfully unaware that the drapes hanging from the ceiling (commemorating basketball championships past) partially blocked the views of the big screens for those of us sitting in the "cheap" seats ("only" $165) up in the rafters. :x I moved into a vacant seat about ten rows further forward after about an hour.

It was also something of a shock to discover that the only available merchandise was the three different t-shirt designs brought by Roxy! Nothing from the Hall of Fame itself (only available by mail order from the museum in Cleveland) or any of the other inductees. :shock:

The whole place felt rather like a Def Leppard convention, so whether due to lack of interest in the other acts or disbelief at the scheduled 19.00 start, the place wasn't particularly full when Stevie Nicks performed her cracking four song set, with our old friend Waddy Wachtel on guitar.

After Stand Back, Don Henley (The Eagles) joined her unannounced for a duet on Leather And Lace, before (accompanied by much hysterical female screaming) Harry Styles (One Direction) did likewise on Stop Draggin' My Heart Around; Tom Petty must have been turning in his grave! :evil: Fortunately a storming Edge Of Seventeen soon restored my emotional equilibrium.

By the time Styles (was he really the best available option, given that Henley was in the building?) & Ms Nicks had returned for gushing, over-long speeches and departed again, we were 40 minutes in and it looked like being a long night!

Fortunately David Byrne (Talking Heads) kept his Radiohead presentation admirably short and to the point and two of the band members spoke equally succinctly in accepting their award. They did not perform and the other band members did not appear to be present.

Next up were Simon Le Bon & John Taylor (Duran Duran) to introduce Roxy; I'm not sure how many of the US ticket holders knew Roxy, whose reception was ultimately the most "polite" of the night, but the early part of the induction speech was drowned out by more hysterical screaming. Little was lost, however, as the speakers rather stumbled and gurned their way through, like the Beavis & Butthead of the new romantic scene (couldn't the HoF have got someone like Nile Rodgers instead?). :(

BF, AM, PM, and EJ took the stage, but only the first named spoke; whether that was planned, I don't know, but generally all parties get the opportunity to say some thank yous, as long as they keep it brief. In practice BF simply read out an extensive roll call; it might have been nicer if he'd singled out Graham Simpson for a special mention, while AM, PM & EJ could have done likewise for Eno, TGPT & Johnny G. (although, shockingly, the last named now appears not to have been inducted after all!).

Each band seemed to have been allocated about 20 mins playing time and Roxy used theirs very wisely to cover almost the full extent of their recording career. Dream Home was a brave and brilliant choice as opener, followed (as I'd hoped for) by Out Of The Blue to allow EJ an extended violin solo, which was worth the ticket price on its own.

Truncated versions of LITD (after which EJ made a discreet exit, returning for the final number) and MTT allowed time for full blasts of Avalon, with Tawatha Agee returning to the fold to hit the high notes, and the closing Editions Of You; marvellous! No Virginia Plain or Do The Strand, but those few of us who had travelled were more than happy with what we heard.

The sound was pretty good for that type of arena, with Andy (especially) & Phil coming through strongly and clearly in the mix (the members of BF's touring band played subtle supporting roles) and BF in good voice. We were all gutted that TGPT couldn't be there, but to see EJ on stage with Roxy (at what will be their last ever show, I suspect) was a dream come true.

Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails) then made a rather long, but occasionally poignant, induction speech for The Cure, who received a surprisingly rapturous welcome which moved Robert Smith to a few tears. There was something rather moving about seeing someone who has been a lifelong outsider finally receiving mainstream acceptance.

When RS said that he didn't want to bore us by just reading out a long list of names, it probably wasn't intended as a dig at BF, but the audience nevertheless seemed palpably relieved. I don't know The Cure's music well enough to run through their setlist here, but it was an eye opener for me and I shall be delving into their back catalogue at some speed.

Next up was Janelle Monae, whose speech seemed determined never to end; by the end of it you'd have thought that Janet Jackson was receiving deification, rather than a Hall Of Fame induction. JJ's own speech wasn't much shorter, so it was something of a relief that there wasn't a performance to follow.

Given that The Zombies' heyday came and went in the 60s, they got a surprisingly loud reception; all bar one of their best known line-up were alive & well and present and each spoke briefly, following their introduction by Susanna Hoffs (The Bangles), who must be one of the youngest looking 60 year olds on the planet (mind you, given the band's vintage, it was a shock to discover that Rod Argent & Colin Blunstone are both only three months older than BF!).

Their well received set included their hits, such as Time Of The Season, Tell Her No and She's Not There (the last named being more closely associated with Santana perhaps), before they left the stage to what many of those present viewed as the main event.

Def Leppard had romped away with the fan vote and most of those who voted seemed to have travelled to Brooklyn! I must confess to little prior knowledge of them, other than that they come from Sheffield and have a one armed drummer! However, vocalist Joe Elliott had expressed a hope during the fan vote that Roxy would also be inducted and he namechecked them again during his acceptance speech.

They had been inducted by Brian May (Queen) who had spoken from the heart, with the aid of a few scribbled notes, rather than relying, as everyone else had done, on the distant autocue (which had tripped up Duran Duran, as each of them in turn read out the same "punchline" to a story!). Then, just when we thought it was all over and that Chris Spedding (74) would win the prize as the oldest performer on the night, Leppard pulled a rabbit out of the hat!

Returning for an encore, they thrust Ian Hunter (Mott The Hoople), looking and sounding remarkably robust for a man just two months shy of his 80th birthday, forward to lead the assembled throng through Bowie's anthem All The Young Dudes. Leppard acted as his band, with May (guitar) & Argent (organ) added and backing vocals performed by Elliott, Blunstone, Hoffs, Manzanera & Miami Steve Van Zandt (who had earlier inducted six songs from the 50s & 60s into their own part of the HoF).

Close of play was around 23.40.

Last edited by Smudge on Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:00 am 

Smudge wrote:
Now that the dust has settled and the jetlag has been slept off, I thought that I'd submit my first hand memories ......

The whole place felt rather like a Def Leppard convention ...........

Fortunately David Byrne (Talking Heads) kept his Radiohead presentation admirably short and to the point and two of the band members spoke equally succinctly in accepting their award. They did not perform and the other band members did not appear to be present ....

We were all gutted that TGPT couldn't be there ......

Def Leppard had romped away with the fan vote and most of those who voted seemed to have travelled to Brooklyn!

Close of play was around 23.40.

Hipsters,

Smudge deserves a medal for this. He really took one for the team .
W2 bets 23:40 couldn’t come quick enough - even with EJ’s solo !

Brian Peter George St John le Baptiste de la Salle Eno , TGPT and the missing Radio Head members were definitely the smart ones here.

These industry events are a real drag. I’m surprised BF went.

Salutations,

Windswept.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:22 am 

Many thanks to you Smudge for sharing your experience of the evening and it is good to hear from someone who was actually there. The speeches must have been the toughest part to sit through but I guess it was a one time only event so would brave it out and make it worth the trip. I wish I could have been there but good to know there were a few long time fans from the UK flying the Roxy Music flag.

8-)

P.S...........This video of the full Roxy Music performance seems better quality & view of the full stage than any I posted previously.

https://youtu.be/qidVTgu4yXg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:39 pm 

Phil seems to be acknowledging that the road is ended...

https://manzanera.com/new/valedictory-n ... l-of-fame/

Personally, I think it is best for the band to go out as the trailblazers they were.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:39 pm 

As stated previously, I was at the RRHOF ceremony as well. Smudge very nicely summed it up. From where I was seated, way way back in the "cheap" seats, it was almost impossible to hear the Durans over the teen squeals. Janet thankfully did not perform, and her voice was quite soft and whispery. Hard to believe she is/was a "singer". The Cure and Def Leppard got the biggest rounds of applause, and the sight of people pumping their fists at the sky during DL's mini-set was hilarious.
By contrast, Roxy Music were sophisticated and not locked into one genre. They offered up, as many of their earlier songs did, quite the pastiche of styles (all styles served here...lol). I'm sure they won a few converts. I regret not snapping up a RM t-shirt, but had no chance to go back to the vendor as we were herded away from the main entrance. Surprised that there was no official program souvenir on sale there. One more thing. The twin oboes were great, and EJ ripped people's heads off with that solo. Be hopeful for more. Meanwhile, bring on the FYP SDE and an expanded Viva!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:40 pm 

Good to hear! The youtube posted earlier looks great to me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next