VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame review
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:44 pm 

My recollections are that TGPT played on the Kenny Everett New Year’s Eve premiere of ‘In the Midnight Hour’, and pulled out of the F+B tour due to injuring a hand in a motorcycle accident.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:07 pm 

Miniluv wrote:
Excellent review Smudge. You must be pleased to have witnessed the final Roxy outing.

To answer your question Andy played Sax and Lyricon on the Arcadia album which was similar to an electronic clarinet. It was a new thing at the time and appears on the cover of his Electronic Music book.

The info is a bit sketchy on the So Red The Rose vinyl LP I have, but Andy played on at least two tracks:- Election Day & Lady Ice.

He also played it on the Manifesto tour

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:44 pm 

Graham Middleton wrote:
My recollections are that TGPT played on the Kenny Everett New Year’s Eve premiere of ‘In the Midnight Hour’, and pulled out of the F+B tour due to injuring a hand in a motorcycle accident.

Now I think I remember the motorcycle accident of TGPT and that he had to be replaced by Andy Newmark at the Augsburg gig. But Paul definitely played at a UK TV show (Over You + Oh Yeah) - it can be seen on a documentation DVD (The Story Of Roxy Music / More Than This ??).

I read that Paul's split up with Roxy had to do with musical differences (after Manifesto you can easily imagine what it was all about ...); but why did he play again with that band during the following months?

I suppose Bryan felt his style of playing the drums too one-dimensional. He wanted more funk, latin or dance grooves for his future music. But apparently as a tour drummer, TGPT was still ok ...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:21 pm 

Apparently he didn't play on most of the "West" side of Manifesto, so the die was set then. He "left" Roxy before F+B but Ferry wanted to keep him for live work which was from that tour/album on wards more and more infrequent but broke his thumb in a motorcycle accident and never worked with Roxy or Ferry,Manzanera or Mackay until 2001 where he had to audition, allegedly he wasn't first choice. He did appear on some pictures for the F+B tour and Over you on top of the pops in the UK and a Musikladen set for German tv but wasn't featured in the tour programme for that tour.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7