VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame review
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:12 pm 

Sorry for the late response, but thanks Smudge for an excellent report.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:47 pm 

Glad the "review" was of some service, folks. :)

One thing I omitted to mention was that DD referred to Andy having played saxophone and clarinet on the Arcadia album; we travellers all assumed this to be an error, as none of us could recall him playing clarinet, but maybe someone here owns the album in question and can confirm or deny? Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:55 am 

Excellent review Smudge. You must be pleased to have witnessed the final Roxy outing.

To answer your question Andy played Sax and Lyricon on the Arcadia album which was similar to an electronic clarinet. It was a new thing at the time and appears on the cover of his Electronic Music book.

The info is a bit sketchy on the So Red The Rose vinyl LP I have, but Andy played on at least two tracks:- Election Day & Lady Ice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:23 pm 

Thanks, Miniluv.

The lyricon was one of those instruments (others being the EWI & EVI, the electronic wind & valve instruments) which seemed to turn up on rock records, but played by jazz fusion horn soloists.

First call on lyricon always seemed to be Tom Scott of L.A. Express, who turned up records by the likes of Steely Dan and Joni Mitchell.

Anyway, I digress; sorry! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:23 am 

Miniluv wrote:
You must be pleased to have witnessed the final Roxy outing.

Cher Miniluv,

Desole mais sans TGPT we can hardly call it that !

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:12 am 

Windswept2 wrote:
Miniluv wrote:

Cher Miniluv,

Salutations,

W2

Oui et non, il n'a pas participé à Avalon, le plus grand succès du groupe.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:27 am 

jeanjean wrote:
Windswept2 wrote:
Miniluv wrote:

Cher Miniluv,

Salutations,

W2

Oui et non, il n'a pas participé à Avalon, le plus grand succès du groupe.

Tu as raison avec Avalon, jeanjean, mais Paul Thompson participated in 7 out of 8 Roxy albums, so he is the fourth constant member of the band.

When I try to sum up the whole RNRHOF ceremony (perfectly taken down by Smudge, thank you) I clearly have to say that my lifetime heroes of art rock have said goodbye to the audience. It was really touching to see these old men (supported by the BF backing band as we all know) performing. But I can't imagine another album or tour now.

Bryan Ferry's pen has run dry long ago, no more songs or lyrics, always the same old again. His voice could at least sing some kind of chanson covers or electronic music with a narrow range of keys (if he ever wanted to do one more album ...).

He seems to be friends with Andy and Phil but is far away from working with them again. At least Eno could treat some new songs with his "sonic sounds" but that's a different story.

So we have left Roxy's great piece of work and I still hope for FYP Deluxe or the outtakes of Avalon Phil has mentioned in an interview.

If somebody wants to see Bryan again, he has got the chance almost every year and that's awesome in comparison to so many other artists who are ill or already in RNR heaven. I saw him last year in Bavaria and I remember a great show. I won't be there this year, but I am thankful for any new piece of work that may be published in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:11 pm 

Paul Thompson participated in 7 out of 8 Roxy albums, so he is the fourth constant member of the band

In fact TGPT only played on the first 6 albums (he wasn't on Flesh & Blood either), although that only serves to further highlight that Roxy only really sounded like Roxy when he was behind the kit.

Unless a festival organiser offers an obscene amount of money, I'm sure we won't see Roxy on stage together again, so we won't need to worry about who would be playing drums. It is to be hoped that TGPT's health issues will improve, though, for his own general comfort and just in case there's the possibility of a few more Metaphors gigs somewhere down the road.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:33 pm 

Smudge wrote:
Paul Thompson participated in 7 out of 8 Roxy albums, so he is the fourth constant member of the band

In fact TGPT only played on the first 6 albums (he wasn't on Flesh & Blood either), although that only serves to further highlight that Roxy only really sounded like Roxy when he was behind the kit

You're right, Smudge, of course. Andy Newmark, Allan Schwartzberg and Simon Phillips played the drums on Flesh and Blood :oops: . But I am sure that I saw Roxy on German TV (Oh Yeah) with TGPT on drums. And the F + B tour concert in Augsburg/Germany was promoted with Paul Thompson behind the kit. Unfortunately I couldn't go to the show because I became ill so I haven't seen it with my own eyes ...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:49 pm 

I am sure that I saw Roxy on German TV (Oh Yeah) with TGPT on drums. And the F + B tour concert in Augsburg/Germany was promoted with Paul Thompson behind the kit

Interesting, Pianoman; perhaps others here will recall whether TGPT (who is not listed in the relevant VRM tour page) did any promotional work for F+B? I saw them at Wembley Arena, with Andy Newmark at the kit...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next