VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Rock & Roll HOF Ceremony on UK TV - 12th May 2019
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:16 am 

The 2019 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will be repeated in the UK on Sunday 12th May at 22:00 on the MTV MUSIC channel. (Sky 350, Virgin 310)

8-)

Post subject: Re: Rock & Roll HOF Ceremony on UK TV - 12th May 2019
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:45 am 

Thanks for the tip, Roxy! :D

Will need some refreshments on standby, as the following programme isn't scheduled to start until 02.00!

Mind you, it's a highlights broadcast (I think, timewise, it includes about two thirds of Roxy's 20 min set), which suggests that there will be quite a few commercial breaks...

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:25 pm 

It was actually on last night too Smudge and it is the version shown on HBO at the end of April. Edited so not in the same order as you would have seen on the night live. Stevie Nicks then The Cure performances followed by Janet Jackson induction then the Roxy Music section kicks in at 1 hour 25 mins.

No commercial breaks as such....the graphics come up, fade out then the next part starts within seconds. No time to put the kettle on. :)

8-)

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:38 pm 

unless your version is different than the HBO USA show, OOB, Avalon, and Editions of You are shown, DreamHome, Love Drug, and MTT are not. Also BF acceptance speech is edited down.
I give the producers credit for showing OOB and Editions, would have also liked to see DreamHome. They could have easily bowed to USA pressure and shown Love Drug and MTT instead od OOB and Editions.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:08 pm 

It was a disappointing that they edited the speech as it was quite short and covered everything without any rambling. Here is the speech in full which I transcribed.......

"We’d like to thank everybody for this unexpected honour, especially our fans around the world, who’ve supported us over the years.
I’d also like to thank all the musicians, who have played such an important part in the Roxy Music story, especially Paul Thompson and Brian Eno. Eddie Jobson, who’s here with us tonight. It’s quite a long list of bass players I’m afraid. And with that I’d like to thank Graham Simpson, Rik Kenton, John Porter, John Gustafson, John Wetton, Gary Tibbs, Sal Maida, Rick Wills, Alan Spenner and Neil Jason…..who is with us tonight.
Moving on to the Avalon years, I’d like to also mention Andy Newmark, Allan Schwartzberg, Jimmy Maelen, Paul Carrack, Neil Hubbard, Yannick Etienne and Fonzi Thornton…..who is with us also.
Also, the band helping us tonight … Tawatha Agee, Jorja Chalmers, Richard Cardwell, Luke Bullen, Fonzie Thornton… and the legendary Chris Spedding.

We’ve always had a great team behind the scenes, including our producers Rhett Davies, Chris Thomas, John Punter and Pete Sinfield. … Also the great mix engineer Bob Clearmountain, And the master of mastering Bob Ludwig I’d like to thank also. Our managers were Mark Fenwick and David Enthoven … together with Juliet Mann and Christian Wainwright, and the late great Dr. Simon Puxley, who was our professor of public relations.

Finally, the album covers. Thanks to Anthony Price, Karl Stoecker, Eric Boman, Graham Hughes, Neil Kirk, Peter Saville and my old college pal, Nick De Ville.
Thanks to all of the above and thanks to all of you, many, many thanks."

8-)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:48 am 

Excellent work Roxy, great transcription.

However, reading it, I hadn't realized that he never once mentions MacKay or Manzanera by name!

Big night nerves or an example of 'speaking volumes'?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:37 am 

Stabbs MacKenzie wrote:

However, reading it, I hadn't realized that he never once mentions MacKay or Manzanera by name!

Neither of the above. He starts the speech with 'We'd like to thank' - as in , Roxy would like to thank. And Roxy Music have been for decades Bryan, Andy & Phil.

He thanks key members Paul, Eno & Eddie, even though Eddie is there, which also hints at Roxy being the 3 members who played on all 8 albums. I'm guessing Bryan, Andy & Phil 'own' the rights to the Roxy name/brand, and any other members, Paul, Eno & Graham Simpson signed theirs away when they left?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:38 am 
Site Owner

Maybe he didn't mention Phil and Andy as they were on stage with him and Eddie got a mention as it was the first time in over 40 years.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:07 pm 

Of course.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:17 pm 

Alan wrote:
Stabbs MacKenzie wrote:

Neither of the above. He starts the speech with 'We'd like to thank' - as in , Roxy would like to thank. And Roxy Music have been for decades Bryan, Andy & Phil.

He thanks key members Paul, Eno & Eddie, even though Eddie is there, which also hints at Roxy being the 3 members who played on all 8 albums. I'm guessing Bryan, Andy & Phil 'own' the rights to the Roxy name/brand, and any other members, Paul, Eno & Graham Simpson signed theirs away when they left?

Of course. Must admit I read it as Ferry using the 'royal We'!