VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Roxy Music Greatest Hits -1977
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:17 pm 

I bought this recently at a market stall. Vinyl; of course as I’m sure it never saw a CD release.
It’s a remarkable collection and a real pick-me-up on a wet Monday night.
They really knew how to knock out the tunes. At least 4 years of work condensed into one record. Fabulous .

Post subject: Re: Roxy Music Greatest Hits -1977
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:14 pm 

It is a good selection of songs!

It's interesting that there is no track from the "original" first album (VP was a later addition), not even RMRM...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:56 am 

.... It's interesting that there is no track from the "original" first album (VP was a later addition), not even RMRM...

Yes , I noted that. Was it something to do with the production of the album ?

I bought the Greatest Hits when it came out , even though I had all the albums , and I clearly discarded it at some point. ( why did I do that , I'll never know).

Good to have it back. It's a great listen. I recall the excitement of each new album as they came out back then..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:29 pm 

I have a music book with the design of the '77 Greatest Hits album and all the note sheets of the Roxy songs included in it. Ordered it from UK in 1979. As far as I know this compilation was never released as a CD record. And I gave the vinyl away like avalon_eyes just because I was fascinated by the new compact disc. Gone forever ... But just out of a certain nostalgia I'd buy it again if it was published as a cd record :P .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:57 am 
Site Owner

The second album I bought ever and it was this album that truly turned me on to Roxy.

It wasn't just the music that got me curious to hear more. I loved the album cover and when I saw the previous albums on the inner sleeve I thought "a band with a guy called Manzanera and have songs called Ladytron must be good" and soon after that I delved in to the back catalouge and that was me hooked.

The version of The Thrill Of It All was edited for this album and I made sure that was made available on The Complete Roxy Music CD box set when working on that.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:22 pm 

Interesting topic. I wondered at the time whether if Virginia Plain/Pyjamarama hadn't been reissued as a single if the album may have charted higher than UK #20, bearing in mind many Roxy fans who came on board a little later, (Stranded in my case), may not have possessed these tracks.

Also, the lack of tracks from the first album was interesting, (VP still yet to apear on UK pressings), I too seem to recall dissatisfaction with the production being one reason.

I was surprised at the inclusion of 'The Thrill of it All', (not realising back then that it had been released as a single in the USA), & omission of 'Both Ends Burning'.

I wondered whether this release was to take advantage of Roxy's back catalogue by Polydor, who they had only recently signed to, partly because the band were on hiatus and at the time had no plans to record anything new in the near future?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:00 pm 

Great topic. I agree with John - this is the record that, at the age of 13 - turned me on to Roxy for life. It's a quality product: fantastic sequencing and selection (mix between the hits and choice album cuts 'MOP'/'Song for Europe') with a cover that was (almost) as classy as the original albums.

Many Roxy compilations that came after just didn't come close to this one (ug, so many terrible covers).

Release date of Nov 1977 was a time of Abba (Name of the Game), and Wings (Mull of Kintyre - how many of us Brits can forget that Christmas!).

And Never Mind the Bollocks was released the same month - and somehow Roxy's Greatest Hits seemed just as contemporary...

Lovely memories - cheers!
Kevin roxymusicsongs.com

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 6.15.55 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 6.15.55 AM.jpg [ 29.4 KiB | Viewed 37910 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:20 am 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
The second album I bought ever and it was this album that truly turned me on to Roxy.

It wasn't just the music that got me curious to hear more. I loved the album cover and when I saw the previous albums on the inner sleeve I thought "a band with a guy called Manzanera and have songs called Ladytron must be good" and soon after that I delved in to the back catalouge and that was me hooked.

The version of The Thrill Of It All was edited for this album and I made sure that was made available on The Complete Roxy Music CD box set when working on that.

J.O'B.

I had always rather liked Bryan and roxy on the radio. Then i started to buy records. sign of the times single came first.
GH was my first album from RM. had the same reaction to its music and cover as John. I recall seeing the cover in a shop window and found it exotic and mysterious.
Then after that one of my teachers lent me Roxy 1 and 2 for taping. Then I was well and truly sunk. Having been a Bowie nut, I just felt that this was so much better music.