VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: End of my dream
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:34 am 

Smudge wrote:
I'm only surprised that anyone's surprised...

............ More than this (at most), there is nothing...

Hipsters,
Salient words from the ever forensic Smudge.
W2 would agree with all sauf the money part.
Windswept really doesn’t think it was ever about the wonga for friend Ferry.
The 2001 reunion felt right. It was the correct moment in time and they were all young enough and fit enough to do it more than justice.
The set also benefited enormously from Ferry’s solo learnings in terms of arrangements, line-up and staging. The whole thing had a frisson and was quite magnificent.
That said, it was sandwiched between Ferry’s extremely successful ATGB and Frantic tours and I’m sure he did it to please the others as much as anything else.
Going into the studio after this was clearly a mistake - it’s one thing to plough an existing furrow well. It’s quite another to discover new pastures and it always seemed way over optimistic to expect a new album to emerge. Why would BF live the agony of the collective creative when he can do his own thing ?
In any event, things since then have been a series of missteps and as Smudge eloquently put it, “More Than This ....There Is Nothing”
Doubtless we will find out more when Ferry publishes his biography.
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:14 pm 

I have great respect for Smudge and WS2 but I disagree with them on the issue of a "9th Roxy Album."

I have followed the public announcements and postings related to the Roxy recordings of 2005/06 quite closely over the years and I believe that the band actually recorded a significant number of tracks that were far more than studio noodlings (there was one post from PM where he described playing many of the almost completed tracks for his son to react to). But in the summer of 2006 BF got cold feet and decided to pursue Dylanesque. And from that point on BF always found some other project (Olympia, Avonmore, Live 2015, the jazz albums) to occupy his attention....

Oh well. I could spend more time descending down this rabbit hole, but to what end? It won't change anything...

Best wishes for the New Year to Smudge and WS2!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:19 pm 

Everything I read suggested that they'd laid down some basic tracks, but that BF had writer's block and couldn't come up with any lyrics. :(

Anyway there must be good stuff in the Studio One archives just crying out to be mined, so let's hope...

Happy new year to one and all.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:23 pm 

We shouldn`t be afraid to disagree. WS2`s noodlings oozes of hindsight. The pain of collective creativity... -on one occasion, but only one, I remember BF saying he`s not like that at all, but that`s many years ago. However, I`ve still not read that 3psalms booklet paragraph...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:35 pm 

WS2, Smudge and DCJ: Thank you, you have posted everything that's important and true concerning this matter. Even if I'd loved to have a 9th Roxy album from 2005/6, it was Bryan who didn't want it.

SMUDGE: "The bottom line is BF didn't seem interested in reviving Roxy."

So my last Roxy show was in Bonn 2010, my next Ferry / Roxy cover show will be in July 2020. Let's hope for a slightly changed setlist with some songs from TFT + ATAP. A new Roxy album is as unlikely as a new Ferry album with NEW songs and lyrics ... But you know, hope always dies last ...

Happy New Year to all members of this forum - may the Roxy / Ferry spirit guide us forever 8-) !!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:45 pm 

DCJ wrote:
I have great respect for Smudge and WS2 but I disagree with them on the issue of a "9th Roxy Album."

I have followed the public a....But in the summer of 2006 BF got cold feet and decided to pursue Dylanesque. And from that point on BF always found some other project (Olympia, Avonmore, Live 2015, the jazz albums) to occupy his attention....

Oh well. I could spend more time descending down this rabbit hole, but to what end? It won't change anything...

Best wishes for the New Year to Smudge and WS2!!!

Cher DJC,
W2 violently agrees with you.
There is no doubt the music exists. At one juncture a couple of short samples were even on line.
That said and as you doubtless know, the way they have always worked is to write the music collectively and then BF comes with the lyrics only this time, as Smudge says, he didn’t.
W2’s opinion is that BF’s heart just isn’t in it. He’s written a number of beautiful songs since then so although he doesn’t pump them out the way he once did (who does) Windswept doesn’t think he’s “blocked”.
He just doesn’t want to. He enjoys having total creative control too much. It’s understandable - ultimately he has achieved so much as a solo artist.
Happy New Year a tous (meme Le Freak )

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:46 am 

Thanks. Otherwise, it`s silent here. We can all agree on that. -And silent it will remain, in all foreseeable future.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:41 pm 

A happy new year to all members of this forum!

You're right, le freak. It has become silent in this forum. New Roxy/Ferry pics and information in Facebook almost every day. No new songs to discuss about. No deluxe editions of Roxy's/Ferry's great work. Ferry's tour set lists are mostly the same every year. So what should we talk about?

Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry (and of course Andy and Phil) have written and recorded great music for almost 48 years. Half a century- wow! Maybe we should talk about the songs we already know. The music, the lyrics. It is OUR job to keep this forum alive and NOT to give it up because of Facebook etc.

The main members of this band are still alive and that's what I'm thankful for. And Roxy is still alive on the radio: Flesh + Blood is milestone album of the week on German radio station SWR1. It's not bad when they remember our heroes, even when the release date was 40 years ago ... Viva! Roxy Music 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:27 pm 

Hello Pianoman,

Always good to read your posts, which are concise and intelligent.

Just a few points:

1. The forum is quiet now because it is dominated by a small number of people who think that they have ownership of it. New members with different opinions aren't made welcome.

2. Yes Facebook has had a negative effect on many forums. Many artistes see the Facebook route as being essential and so neglect the forums where by and large loyal fans go. Bill Nelson is one of the few who doesn't neglect his forum due to Facebook.

3. Like everything else forums have a limited lifetime, as people generally get fed up over time or the artiste loses interest.

4. The Hall of Fame award gives Roxy Music dignified closure and perhaps we all need to move on. Far better this way rather than the death of a member like Neil Peart of Rush.

5. We should be grateful that Phil and Andy continue with their own work outside of Roxy - long may it continue.

Roger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:38 pm 

Hello Roger,

thank you for your post. You made some valuable points. What I feel sorry about is the fact that the last new member - indicated on the front page of VRM - joined us a long time ago (one year? more?). Can a BF live album from 1974 set new accents? I doubt that. Or the Mazanera/Mackay activities? I am glad, too, that they still work on the Roxy back catalogue!

I remember times in this forum, when we discussed the music, the lyrics and the tours of Roxy/BF but obviously all is said and done. Sigh. Maybe we should invent some creative new topics where many of our members reply - and not only the usual suspects ;) . But maybe "Facebook/What'sApp/Twitter killed the Forum star". Radio is still alive, against The Buggles' supposition. So probably there's a chance for the VRM forum 8-) ! - p -

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next