VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Possible Further Deluxe Editions
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:55 pm 

As it is pretty quiet in here I thought I would create a thread dedicated to possible future deluxe editions.

One thing making them unlikely is the apparent lack material. For the debut album there was for example the demo tapes and plenty of Peel session recordings, but from what I've read from Phil & the others there isn't much surviving for the other albums, well maybe 'Avalon' aside, but most of that has been leaked anyway.

Seemingly Roxy recorded over any doodlings that didn't make the cut so they could re-use the valuable tape.

For Your Pleasure - subtitled 'Deluxe & Delightful' maybe?

As Pyjamarama although recorded at the early sessions has never appeared on the album, we can probably discount any alternate takes/mixes if they exist.

That leaves 'Grey Lagoons' from the demo tape & 'The Peel Sessions'. There might be some interesting unseen video footage floating around and soundboard live recordings from the FYP tour, but what else? Enough to warrant a deluxe edition?

Stranded

I read that Roxy considered a couple of Andy's things, before settling on what would become 'A Song For Europe'. Was the other offering an early version of 'Three & Nine', or Bitter-Sweet', or perhaps something that made it on to 'In Search of Eddie Riff?

Siren

Would love to hear Andy's original demo of 'Love is the Drug' if it survives - apparently very different from what would become the single.

Eddie's co-write 'She Sells' made the album, but 'As the World Turns' was also considered. Maybe there is a demo still in existence?

Manifesto

'Dance Away' was originally intended to be a Bryan solo effort, firstly worked on on the 'TBSB', & then 'IYM' sessions, before it saw the light of day on 'Manifesto'. Maybe there are demos of it about?

Thoughts anybody?

Post subject: Re: Possible Further Deluxe Editions
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:30 pm 

The Deluxe edition has been done. Generally well received if a bit pricey , it documents the genesis of Roxy Music, both the band and the debut. Given the time it took to produce i don’t see there being any more deluxe editions in the future. I also feel sure it was an artistic endeavour rather than a commercial one , even with that price tag.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:20 am 

There has to be considerable scope but looking at how other artists have scheduled similar releases and two years on from the eponymous SDE, you have to ask if the will is there to do it?

Doubtless a number of demos / alternative versions across the remaining albums are knocking about and, subject to rights issues, there's lots of video from a band in their heyday to make these worthwhile. As Alan says this would undoubtedly be an artistic rather than a commercial endeavour so if any of it is ever going to happen it would be nice to see whilst those of us in that demographic have a heart still beating!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:12 am 

I think a deluxe FYP is likely; the completist in me (and hopefully in BF...) needs to see the remainder of the BBC sessions out there. It would be great if the film of Roxy's set from the Golden Rose Of Montreux could be restored and licensed for DVD too.

Of the others, I'd guess that Viva! might be the most likely, as all three shows were recorded in full, unless smaller studio + live CD sets are being considered for Stranded (Liverpool '73), Country Life (Newcastle '74) & Siren (Wembley '75).

The last of those shows was also filmed, so a DVD issue of that (either stand alone or as part of a deluxe set) is high on my wish list!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:37 am 

I understand that the Andy offerings ended up on Eddie Riff - Pyramid of Dawn was one I think.

Alan wrote:
As it is pretty quiet in here I thought I would create a thread dedicated to possible future deluxe editions.

One thing making them unlikely is the apparent lack material. For the debut album there was for example the demo tapes and plenty of Peel session recordings, but from what I've read from Phil & the others there isn't much surviving for the other albums, well maybe 'Avalon' aside, but most of that has been leaked anyway.

Seemingly Roxy recorded over any doodlings that didn't make the cut so they could re-use the valuable tape.

For Your Pleasure - subtitled 'Deluxe & Delightful' maybe?

As Pyjamarama although recorded at the early sessions has never appeared on the album, we can probably discount any alternate takes/mixes if they exist.

That leaves 'Grey Lagoons' from the demo tape & 'The Peel Sessions'. There might be some interesting unseen video footage floating around and soundboard live recordings from the FYP tour, but what else? Enough to warrant a deluxe edition?

Stranded

I read that Roxy considered a couple of Andy's things, before settling on what would become 'A Song For Europe'. Was the other offering an early version of 'Three & Nine', or Bitter-Sweet', or perhaps something that made it on to 'In Search of Eddie Riff?

Siren

Would love to hear Andy's original demo of 'Love is the Drug' if it survives - apparently very different from what would become the single.

Eddie's co-write 'She Sells' made the album, but 'As the World Turns' was also considered. Maybe there is a demo still in existence?

Manifesto

'Dance Away' was originally intended to be a Bryan solo effort, firstly worked on on the 'TBSB', & then 'IYM' sessions, before it saw the light of day on 'Manifesto'. Maybe there are demos of it about?

Thoughts anybody?