VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roxy RSD 2020
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:46 pm 

After a long wait Roxy Music’s debut album is subtly transformed into a version with more depth and nuance.
I fully expected Steve Wilson’s stereo mix to be overblown and showy.
It’s not but it is different to the original album in ways I cannot describe without more listens.. even Ferry’s vocals sound different.
I approached this purchase as product that I had to have , but it is more than that.
The clear vinyl is a plus , too. As is the pink inner sleeve, with lyrics.

There is a download code.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:32 pm 

Quote:
There is a download code.

Thanks so much. That little slip of paper tucked away inside the album cover had completely escaped my notice.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:51 pm 

I haven't listened to the download yet but does anyone know if it's the stereo remix? I assumed it must be (surely!) - but the date modified shown on my laptop is 31/01/2017 and if I copy the folder to a new location on my laptop there's a further level of detail showing that indicates it's from 2012's Complete Studio Recordings. ITIS I'm missing, someone please tell me!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:39 pm 

So I went back to this after I saw a comment on Twitter and downloaded from the code. Looks like Virginia Plain is missing from the download. So I guess it’s not the Wilson mix.
The cover is also missing the pink RSD label

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:07 am 

So unless your first purchase of RM is this RSD vinyl, the free download isn't worth the diminutive slip of paper it's printed on. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:55 pm 

I managed to pick it up. Not yet listened to, but from online reviews I've read, it should be pretty great.

I don't get too concerned with the download code thing. Other cds etc that have included a download code never worked either.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:15 pm 

Sounds like Nerdorama goings on.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:44 am 

Quote:

Nice contribution.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:52 pm 

Regardless of the perceived merits or otherwise of the new mix (unless Steven Wilson's name was a more significant factor than I'm giving him credit for), the Roxy LP certainly flew off the shelves here in London.

All three branches of my local indie store sold out early (I was in two of them within 30-60 mins of them opening, but to no avail), before I was able to bag one in Rough Trade East, who always order in good stocks of all RSD items (a friend had been informed that there were 4,000 copies pressed, but the RT website gave the figure as 1,250, which seems more likely to me).

Frustratingly, given that shoppers are understandably restricted to one copy each, they still had another handful of Roxy LPs when I left the store; normally I could have returned the next day to buy one for Pianoman, but RT decided to put all remaining stocks online at 18.00 and, despite their website appearing to crash at one point under the weight of "traffic", the Roxy item sold out.

It was the same story in Soho; altogether I visited seven shops at the weekend, phoned half a dozen more and drove myself boss-eyed with internet searches, as I tried in vain to find a second copy for our Bavarian correspondent. The only copy I found had been marked up to £35 (I'd paid £24 for mine), which made it uneconomical when postage costs were factored in. :(

I hope everyone who wanted a copy got lucky; if not, it's usually worth keeping an eye on eBay for a few days, although I suspect that £30-£35 will be the cheapest price.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:52 pm 

rendezvous wrote:

If you can't say anything nice...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next