VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roxy RSD 2020
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:07 pm 

rendezvous wrote:
Sounds like Nerdorama goings on.

Nobody has to be an admirer of the early Roxy period - myself I am. And, of course, nobody has to buy a 10th copy (or so) of the Roxy debut album - I did. Whereas I wouldn't buy new editions of some of Bryan Ferry's later work. The originals are enough - it's just to be complete. But Roxology is a broad church, as one of our major contributors, M. Windswept always says. And, of course, all styles are served here :D.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:27 pm 

Smudge wrote:
Frustratingly, given that shoppers are understandably restricted to one copy each, they still had another handful of Roxy LPs when I left the store; normally I could have returned the next day to buy one for Pianoman, but RT decided to put all remaining stocks online at 18.00 and, despite their website appearing to crash at one point under the weight of "traffic", the Roxy item sold out.
It was the same story in Soho; altogether I visited seven shops at the weekend, phoned half a dozen more and drove myself boss-eyed with internet searches, as I tried in vain to find a second copy for our Bavarian correspondent. The only copy I found had been marked up to £35 (I'd paid £24 for mine), which made it uneconomical when postage costs were factored in. :(

I have a little bit of a bad conscience that Smudge searched through the whole of London for my copy of this LP - but obviously it was in great demand. Shortly Smudge thought about disguising himself to get a second copy, as he wrote - and of course I would have visited him in prison :lol: . Then he gave me the tip to browse some online shops. In fact I ordered it via Discogs in the US. The price for the album is ok, but the shipping is expensive - 39 € all in all. But to be a Roxy fan never was a cheap hobby 8-) .

BTW: I am also a fan of Steven Wilson's Neo Prog Rock - he is not only a perfect re-mixer!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:58 pm 

Quote:
the Roxy LP certainly flew off the shelves here in London

...sufficient to propel it back onto the official top 40 vinyl chart - along with a host of other RSD releases - at 19. Also at 38 on the 'Physical' album chart which is presumably all sales excluding streaming and downloads, ie including CDs.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:07 pm 

It has been a few years since I last posted. Hope everyone is doing fine?

Just a quick update regarding the download that comes with the RSD 2020 LP. As has already been noted, the MP3 files were tagged on 31 January 2017, and are taken from the Roxy Music Complete Studio Recordings box set, which featured a flat transfer of the original mix. The big giveaway is that the MP3 download does not include the track “Virginia Plain”, which is part of the new Steven Wilson-mixed LP. So, this download isn’t even the correct album.

On top of that, MP3 is poor in this day and age. We really need the correct, remixed files in lossless FLAC format.

I have e-mailed my complaint to tickets@pushsupport.com and received the following reply:

Quote:
Hi - thank you for contacting us.

I am very sorry but there has been a delay in us obtaining the audio for this title from the record label. We hope to receive it in the next few days. If you have already validated a unique code the album should appear in your 'My downloads' section as soon as it becomes available.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the wait.

Kind regards
Support

I recommend everyone else to do the same. If we make our collective voice heard, there is more chance they’ll put this right.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:29 am 

If anyone missed out last weekend, I just spotted this on eBay...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROXY-MUSIC-R ... SwWuJfQ5eV

£24.95 plus £5 postage for a Buy It Now option (i.e. instant purchase, rather than an auction listing) may be as cheap as it gets...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:38 pm 

Turntable Lab has it:

https://www.turntablelab.com/collection ... -store-day

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:35 am 

After pestering The Sound of Vinyl with e-mails, I finally have the Steven Wilson Stereo Mix in glorious hi-res 24/96 WAV files. It seems the files were only created at approximately 18:30 on 21 September, so they are brand spanking new. And they sound wonderful.

If you haven't bothered chasing The Sound of Vinyl yet, do drop them an e-mail, to ensure you get the digital files you've paid for.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:08 am 
Site Owner

I have listened to a CD-R copy recorded direct off the vinyl.

Can anyone tell where you hear any major differences to this stereo mix and the Bob Clearmountain 1999 master?

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:43 am 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
I have listened to a CD-R copy recorded direct off the vinyl.

Can anyone tell where you hear any major differences to this stereo mix and the Bob Clearmountain 1999 master?

J.O'B.

Major? No.

Where this new mix excels is in the sonics, particularly the bottom end. The original mix has always sounded muddy. Here, the bass is clear and well-defined, and the drums have that lovely snap to them. I am also hearing some subtle differences in other parts of the mix, e.g. the sound effects on “The Bob” seem more upfront. It is not a silly, flashy remix, but an audiophile one, and to my ears it sounds wonderful. I’m not normally one for remixing old albums, but in this instance I’ll make an exception. This could be my go-to version of this album from here on in.

Do yourself a favour, John, and listen to the hi-res files, rather than a vinyl rip. It sounds gorgeous.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:01 pm 
Site Owner

Peanut wrote:
VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:

Do yourself a favour, John, and listen to the hi-res files, rather than a vinyl rip. It sounds gorgeous.

I am waiting on them arriving, the vinyl rip was for the interim. I did notice some more prominent and clearer tambourine and percussion on Ladytron.

J.O'B.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next