VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Guitara
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:15 pm 
Site Owner

With the current lockdown situation ongoing I decided to use some of the time to do some things I have wanted to do for a while.

I have a wee recording studio in my attic and decided to doodle away there and also needed a project to do as a tutorial for some video editing software.

I had always wanted to record Tara as if it had been written by Phil Manzanera

Both Andy and Phil have seen this footage and they both wrote me an e-mail. Andy refered to this version as "Guitara"

J.O'B.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkaQaK7ApxA

Post subject: Re: Guitara
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:14 pm 

Beautiful, what a great way to spend this time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:05 pm 

Sounds Great, nice job.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:51 pm 

I saw this on YouTube the other day. What a fantastic job, note-for-note. Well done, John! No wonder they were pleased.

Just wondering. Have you ever been in, or ever considered being in, a Roxy tribute band?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:10 pm 

Excellent work John - congratulations!

An "Anorak" guitar question for you - how did you record your guitar? Was it effects, amp and mike or straight into a PC with protools?

It seems that those of us who can play an instrument have been taking advantage of the current situation in a good way. I particularly like what Brian May has been doing from his living room - what a star he is!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:08 am 
Site Owner

Bill wrote:
I saw this on YouTube the other day. What a fantastic job, note-for-note. Well done, John! No wonder they were pleased.

Just wondering. Have you ever been in, or ever considered being in, a Roxy tribute band?

I have considered being in a Roxy/Ferry tribute band but it could not be a note for note type copy as there are some good bands who already do that and it's something that I have never been interested in.

I would have to form a Roxy tribute band with a female singer, a string quartet, acoustic guitar and piano and do completely different arrangements. I have had this idea for a long time even before Roxymphony did their shows.

I have never been interested in learning mucic note for note. I like to play around with music and play for example uptemo guitar songs slow on the piano to make something new of them.

I see an instrument as being one of 3 things:
(1) A blank page so you draw what you want (compose original material)
(2) A colouring in book where a picture is there but you choose what colours and materials to colour it in (covers done a different way to the original
(3) A photocopier where you just reproduce exactly the same thing.

I have never been interested in being a photocopier but I admire those who can nail some stuff like that, I just don't have the ability sometimes, or have a need to most of the time and never a desire to.

I have a studio where I write and record music but also play in bars and hotels doing weddings etc at weekends playing the usual sort of bar band rock/pop party music as a bit of fun. I don't really listen to the originals closely, I work out the chords, hear the style that it is in then just play the music my own way within my own capabilities, inflences and style.

Guitara (as Andy Mackay called it in a recent e-mail to me) was a different thing altogether. It became a little excercise for me. I wanted to do something different and had the idea of doing Tara as if Phil Manzanera had written it so I had to copy the notes and it was a good excercise and some musical discipline for me. Although I was copying the notes, the fact that I was using a guitar and not a sax meant it was never going to sound like the original anyway so that gave me enough interpritive satisfaction in that it was the concept that was creative if not the choice of notes as they were already set in stone for me.

If I had to do something like Diamond Head I would have to do it as a piano piece.........(now there's a thought......watch this space)

To answer Roger's "anorak" question:

I have a Boss GT Pro sound module and a Yamaha FX770 and lots of 'plug ins' on my Logic Pro X on my Imac and the guitar sound would have come from a combination of all that.

Regards
J.O'B.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:07 pm 

Cher J.O’B,

This is really quite brilliant.

A truly original take - c’est vraiment magnifique!

A huge bravo .

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:02 pm 

Hello John,

Thanks for the info!

I agree with a lot of the points that you make. Tribute bands coming along were an absolutely great thing for musicians who could recreate a song note perfect. I can't help thinking that some of these people would be classically trained. I'll take the example of my partner - top grades on piano and violin at school, but turned her back on music because it was all about exams and playing music note perfect. Even though she has a keyboard now she has to have sheet music in front of her to play anything. Perhaps she should be in a tribute band.

I also agree with what you said about instruments. Other than his black and white, brutal playing on Mainstream, I've always thought of Phil's playing in terms of colours and textures. Not many guitar players have the ability to do their own thing and also be photocopiers. Chris Spedding is one of the few (listen to Guitar Jamboree if you don't know it) - a session man who on the other hand could dominate an entire album with his own sound and style (In You Mind).

FYI in an attempt not to upset the neighbours I'm using a Roland Microcube GX at the moment for my home playing. Great little amp with effects, battery powered too, although I intend to check out the Vox amp that Brian May is using for his home broadcasts (when the music shops are open again!). I'm using my Hooker Custom a lot at the moment - I think it's a great looking guitar :D

I think we have a similar approach to playing John and I would urge you to share more of your music with us :D

All the best,

Roger

Attachments:
Photo from eBay 1.jpg
Photo from eBay 1.jpg [ 155.7 KiB | Viewed 32588 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:56 pm 

You have made a brilliant new version of (Gui-)Tara - congratulations, John! That's what I wrote to you on Facebook some days ago.

What you wrote in this thread was a real musical manifesto I completely agree with. Despite my classical piano training which culminated in playing Bach fugues I was never talented in reproducing something note for note. As a child of 9 years I started to play what I had heard on the radio - the first song I reproduced that way was "Saved By The Bell" by Robin Gibb :lol: . I soon became a fan of so many different musical styles from Bach to Roxy, from Abba to Manhattan Transfer, from Bossa Nova to Soul & Funk - but I always did every kind of music "my way". There were only a few songs I had to learn from note sheets because they were too complicated ;) . And that's still my approach to music at the age of 60.

What Roger tells us from his partner is the thing that made me speechless when I met with the daughter of my piano teacher (long, long ago :) ). Although she studied music at that time (and today is the director of a secondary school in Bavaria) she was not able to test my new Yamaha keyboard without some classical note sheets ...

My opinion is that cover versions are only interesting when they are far away from the original. Such a song is Bryan's Hard Rain. I think you cannot re-make/re-model a song more than this one. 4/4 instead of 3/4, strings accompaniment instead of acoustic guitar, a choir in the chorus, Bryan's ironic, mocking style of singing etc. pp. This way of changing the originals into something very new showed Bryan's genius - at least considering his solo work.

A very interesting thread, by the way 8-) .

Stay healthy,

Peter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:11 pm 

Hi Peter,

I agree with you that this is a great thread :D While I enjoy talking about all things Roxy/Ferry perhaps we need a few more threads like this for the musicians on the forum. All credit to John for that. When I heard him playing the guitar part on Tara I was thinking what is he using, how is he recording etc etc.

As for my partner, the final "nail in the coffin" re classical training for her was going to see Stephane Grappelli and John Etheridge playing together many years ago. She'd never seen musicians playing with such freedom and their influence has had a lasting effect on her. It's probably important to say that not every classically trained musician turns out the same as her - I would use Eddie Jobson as an example.

As for me, I know that I'm never going to be a great guitar player, but then that's not the point. Just strumming a few chords can have such a positive effect on me and I think that music is helping people during these difficult times. I'm particularly enjoying what Brian May is doing - a great, but humble man IMHO.

I've also met some great and kind people through music. I've been fortunate enough to meet the luthier Rob Armstrong on a few occasions. He told me that after a serious illness just going home and plucking a string on one of his guitars made him feel better. To me that's what music is all about.

Stay safe Peter. That applies to everyone else on the forum too, evem Windswept 2 ;)

Roger