VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: John Wetton Interview
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:58 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hcovFGVW44&t=566s

If you are a fan of John Wetton, King Crimson, UK etc worth watching all of the way through. If not the Roxy bit begins at 11:25 - not sure what BF would think about JW joining Roxy as a joke or for a laugh though!

Seem to remember that Phil said JW left Roxy to join Uriah Heep for a lot more money.

Post subject: Re: John Wetton Interview
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:08 pm 

Thanks for posting that, Roger. I am a fan of Asia, own several discs of them. Wetton was not only a good bass player but a real good singer!

- Peter -

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 2:02 pm 

Hi Peter,

I saw John Wetton play several times over the years, usually in association with Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry. However the last time I saw him perform live was in 2014 at Mr Kyps in Poole during the "Ravens and Lullabies" tour of the Gordon Giltrap/Oliver Wakeman band. Shortly before Gordon, Oliver and their band appeared on stage I was sure that John Wetton walked past me. "You're John Wetton aren't you?" I asked. "Yes" he said before going backstage.

Anyway much to my surprise (and everyone elses) he appeared from the shadows during the set to perform vocals on a cracking version of “ Heat of the Moment”. Totally unexpected and a great moment during what had already been an exceptional night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EHO177VI1s

RIP John Wetton

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:00 pm 

Must have been one of his last concerts. Nice story, Roger. Heat Of The Moment might be his biggest hit by far, I guess ...

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 5:03 pm 

Worth adding that JW plays on one of my favourite prog rock albums, "Red" by King Crimson. The others are "Fear of the Dark" by Gordon Giltrap, "Ravens and Lullabies" by Giltrap/Wakeman and of course the fearsome "Mainstream" by Quiet Sun!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:09 pm 

Great to see this video. I was actually a Crimson fan long before I listened to Roxy and John Wetton was my favorite singer as well as bassist. I worked in a hotel when I was 17 cleaning the public areas, during the summer of 1976, just before I went off to college. The bar was a bit of a hangout and a singles scene. I would feed the jukebox with quarters I found on the beer-soaked floor behind the bar as I mopped and vacuumed. I was a terrible musical snob; the only song on the jukebox I would play was Love is The Drug because of the Roxy/Wetton connection.