VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Avalon Tapes / The Horoscope Sessions
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:12 pm 

On YouTube you can listen to The Avalon Tapes (RM) and The Horoscope Sessions (BF). I don't know how it was possible to upload these tapes and I know that it isn't legal. But now as they are there: What do the members of this forum think about them?

Avalon Tapes: I like Avalon although I am more a RM/BF 70s lover. The album was very short and To Turn You On was in fact a BF solo song. When I listen to the unfinished songs (Move Me Movie etc.) which are really not bad I don't understand why RM didn't work out some of them. Was it Bryan's lyrics problem? Or the bad atmosphere in the band?

Horoscope Sessions: Some of the tracks differ only slightly from the Mamouna mixes. Midnight Train and Loop De Li would have fitted perfectly into Mamouna, IMHO. More major chords, elaborated melodies and verse/chorus patterns. And I think Blinded By The Life was rather a weak track. I'd love to have the horoscope album instead of Mamouna - although I'd miss the title track. I hope Bryan's autobiography will reveal some day why he needed six years to complete The Horoscope Sessions ...

Post subject: Re: The Avalon Tapes / The Horoscope Sessions
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:20 am 

I listened through the Avalon tapes, now for the second time, but skipped a couple of times. There are some interesting "unreleased track"s plus the "movie move me" versions, but they need a lot more development. They remind me of the sparse sound of Manifesto, in fact; variations of the Angels Eyes groove. Much of it are rythmic clichés that need to come out of the pupa as real songs. This applies for Bryan`s singing too, they`re not much more than movements up and down the scale.