VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Site Changes
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:51 pm 

Smudge wrote:
VRM has been a much loved source of information over the past 10-15 years and, unlike some websites, is easy to navigate, even for someone with IT skills as limited as mine.

I lean towards the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought and, since it's a part-time labour of love for John, there is no point in creating unnecessary work for him. Probably not everyone is aware that John has a full time career and a family to support outside of "Roxyworld", so we possibly already expect too much of him, even if we don't intend to.

I doubt whether BF would wish to effectively employ John on a full time basis and it's perhaps equally unlikely that such an arrangement would suit John, who enjoys his independence and the ability to comment freely on Roxy & Ferry matters. It's currently easier for John to say why he doesn't favour a song or a tour setlist, for example, than it would be if he was effectively criticising his employer! ;)

If BF wanted his official website to be officially "twinned" with VRM, I guess there would be a link from the former to the latter, as there once was. I personally think that the various Roxy members could seek to publicise their work via VRM far more than they do, but that's their choice.

I think someone mentioned dispensing with the sections on the band members' work outside Roxy, but I disagree; if anything, those areas could reasonably be expanded. This is particular true of Eddie's work; when I've met him he has always been genuinely touched to learn that he is held in such high regard by Roxy fans, as he felt that he had been almost written out of the band's history.

I agree with some others here, that the development of the memorabilia section here would be nice, but otherwise I can't think of other potential improvements. Thanks, John, and keep up the good work! :D

P.S. Those who can imagine BF contributing here directly have wonderfully vivid imaginations! :lol: But, hey, there's no harm in dreaming...

Cher Smudge,
It was J.O’B who asked for recommendations and W2 presumes he wouldn’t have asked for them if he hadn’t wanted suggestions.
‘More Than This’, you assume rather a lot !
Salutations,
Windswept

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:47 am 

Cher Smudge,
It was J.O’B who asked for recommendations and W2 presumes he wouldn’t have asked for them if he hadn’t wanted suggestions.
‘More Than This’, you assume rather a lot !
Salutations,
Windswept

Nothing I wrote should (or would, I'm sure) dissuade anyone from making suggestions or John from considering them, nor was that my intention or implication.

John can easily cherry pick those ideas which, in his opinion, have the most merit and/or can be achieved without disproportionate effort or cost. I know him well enough to be aware that VRM is just one of the draws on his time and other resources, that's all.

It's a fact that the link between the official website and this forum no longer exists (I didn't speculate on why) and just my opinion (basis to remain private) that the independence of the two sites has its pros, as well as any cons.

To put any other spin on what I wrote might require assumptions to be made... ;)

All styles served here still, hopefully... :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:50 am 

UKRichard wrote:
......I agree that BF.com is an entirely lost opportunity - earlier iterations of it were superior and promised features have never materialised, so it's truly stuck in reverse. As for Roxy's site, it's so utterly built around the debut album it's hard to see how anything they ever did later is ever going to feature. It's a crying shame......

......I'd keep the forum - yes it's quiet at times (like now, understandably) but, the occasional fracas aside, it's a place for civilised discourse on all things BF/RM. You just don't get that on FB/Twitter, both of which are pretty toxic (social, sic, media) and far more open to nefarious interlopers than here.

The site is beautifully presented but, as with all things, I guess a fresh look would be good. I know that can be time-consuming and potentially expensive when there are as many pages to overhaul as VRM, but done well it's something that has an extraordinary shelf life - witness the number of changes to BF.com compared to VRM in its current form! ......

This site has clearly always been a labour of love for John ....

Hipsters,

Looking again at UKRichard’s epistle there is much W2 agrees with excepting that in this day and age, a well funded digital presence has to be the centrepiece of an artists activity - Bob Dylan’s site says it all.

Team Ferry have not embraced this, they have played around with it.

Conversely, J’OB has done a magnificent job animating vivaroxymusic.com and he has already done a lot of the backbreaking work. Surely it makes sense to bring his passion and expertise to bear on the mother ship and let the cordon-bleu chef into the main kitchen?

Failing that, and unless some other solution can be found, BF’s site will remain massively under optimised. This would be a great shame both for today, hopefully for the many happy and healthy years to come and ultimately for his legacy.

As a Robert Palmer fan, it pains W2 that there is nothing qualitative in the digital space to celebrate his life’s work. Happily this is not the case for one Francis Albert Sinatra.

These sites today are hugely important and will be even more so in the future.

Windswept makes no assumptions as to what the different parties want. He just speaks of what this life long fan would like to see.

Astute but informed marketing analysis is required. BF is a huge global artist.

Il faut reflechir.

Salutations,
W2