VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Deluxe & Delightful
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:41 am 

As UKRichard correctly points out the Tears for Fears Seeds of Love boxset is coming out for a fraction of the cost of the RM1 deluxe reissue. Both seemed to have been in the works for as many years.

I fear that Bryan considers every such release has to be a work of art, whereas the record company just want product that they can sell. Hence the long delays and procrastination over pictures in the (admittedly excellent) book with RM1.

The Live 2015 release was a welcome example of Team Ferry getting it spot on, in my opinion. It arrived with little warning (not years of build up) and was a great showcase for the current live set, especially with how the tracks run seemlessly together even though recorded at different shows, which the recent U2 live fan-club release didn't do. Although it was released online online it was "under exclusive licence to BMG Rights Management" - I wonder what sort of recording contract Bryan has with a label these days. I imagine that the days when a specified number of albums had to be delivered within a specified period of time may be long gone.

So essentially demos, outtakes, alternate and live versions if available please. At a reasonable price :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:01 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
If For Your Pleasure & Stranded had to get a similar Deluxe Edition as the debut album, what would you like to see it contain?

J.O'B.

For Your Pleasure

BBC Peel Sessions
Demo tape version of Grey Lagoons
Any unseen TV performances - if available.
Not sure about Pyjamarama as not included on the album, but was recorded during the album sessions.

Stranded

Original version of Street Life, before Chris Thomas realised the bass and drums didn't 'fit' and needed to be re-done. He played bass on the final version - John Gustafson on the original.

Any available unseen TV performances. Roxy were doing a TV special in Switzerland when they heard Stranded had gone to #1 in the UK. Would be great if any footage survived.

Both

The band have said there wasn't much surviving from recording sessions (apart from the final cut), as they re-recorded over expensive tape. So I was pleasantly surprised with what survived from the first album sessions.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:00 pm 

I would like to have the Peel Sessions included (Editions Of You,Pyjamarama and In Every Dream Home A Heartache).

Pyjamarama single version and the 'Greatest Hits' version.

For 'Stranded', Why not ask Brian Eno for his remixed version?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:07 am 

I just read on Facebook that a videotape is/was up for auction. It is a complete episode of TOTP and may contain a "lost" performance of Pyjamarama. The contents of the video were not listed, so the purchaser would be the one to verify the RM appearance.

Of course, include that as well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:28 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
If For Your Pleasure & Stranded had to get a similar Deluxe Edition as the debut album, what would you like to see it contain?

J.O'B.

A live concert recording from the Stranded tour

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:47 pm 

While we're at it, Bryan could re-release Bryan Ferry in Concert (Live in Paris at Le Grand Rex, March 2000) on blu-ray. This time in 5.1 (optional) and including Sunset.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:50 pm 

Robertron wrote:
While we're at it, Bryan could re-release Bryan Ferry in Concert (Live in Paris at Le Grand Rex, March 2000) on blu-ray. This time in 5.1 (optional) and including Sunset.

Mes Amis,

Finalement nous avon an imminently sensible idea from a personage with extreme good taste.

What a magnificent show this was. It includes so many greatest ever versions.

Indeed, W2 vacillates between this, AEWBF and RM 2001 at Madison Garden as to which was his favourite all time fandango.

Very often, this show wins the coveted ‘Windswept’ award. What a set it was and what fabulous musicianship. Definitely one from the ‘Good’ not so old days.

So yes team Ferry, Windswept seconds Robertron’s request and suggests you re-dux the show brochure (also the best ever) as part of a box set that should also include a CD.

Salutations a tous et bonne continuation apres ‘Lockdown ‘

Windswept

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:41 pm 

If they release FYP, Stranded, and Country Life super deluxe reissues, they're assured at least 1 purchase of each by me.

I would advise they change nothing from the template of the Roxy Music debut super deluxe - the book is the absolute highlight and I return to it often. Unless BF and co. plan to keep their secrets for their memoirs, I would love to see them pen essays for the reissues - an honest exploration of the Brian Bryan dynamic post FYP release would be fun to read.

The price of the debut super deluxe was very high - rationally probably not worth it, but this is one of my favorite albums by one of my favorite bands, so I allowed myself to splurge on this "luxury item."