VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: R.I.P. Peter Leay
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:50 pm 
Site Owner

Sad news has come through that Peter Leay who ran the official Roxy Music fan club has died.

http://www.vivaroxymusic.com/news.php?n=608

J .O'B.

Post subject: Re: R.I.P. Peter Leay
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:53 am 

What a lovely tribute from Jocelyn Fiske.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:50 pm 

Yes, a lovely piece Jocelyn (nice mention of the Eddie Rifff sweatshirt ;) )

Not much I can add other than I still have my membership card and pretty every piece of merchandise I ever bought!

However, I must mention how wonderful it was that when the Roxy Club were going, they bought up the first few rows at gigs so, by going via the club, you knew you would be right down the front (my biggest success being front row at Hammersmith Odeon for the '79 Manifesto tour!)

R.I.P. Peter, a Roxy legend.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:43 pm 

Great memories Jocelyn, beautifully recounted.

I loved getting my fanclub newsletters and, as a schoolboy, seeing what merchandise I could afford to buy. I lived on the Wirral, so not far from Wallasey. I only visited once, to collect a brown Viva sweatshirt. There's as much chance of me finding it now as there is of it still fitting, but it was such a thrill to buy it and to meet the face behind the club. In my naivety, I too imagined a magnificent, stylish club HQ so I was rather crestfallen by the reality but what Peter lacked in shiny office space he made up for in enthusiasm.

I'm very sad to hear of his passing and only thought of him a few days ago. He ran the club so well which, with only Royal Mail as a means to contact people, was quite a feat. Against that background it comes as no surprise to read how else he worked his magic, post Roxy. Thank you for your part in our Roxy story Peter.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:22 pm 

Indeed, a lovely tribute by Jocelyn, which made me feel like I knew Peter a little, although I never really did.

Like many here, I was a fan club member as a 70s teenager, but my limited pocket money wouldn't stretch to many merchandise purchases in the same way that my occupational pension does these days! ;)

I was sadly never the proud owner of an Eddie Riff sweatshirt, although I suspect that the paperback biographies of Roxy (by Johnny Rogan) & BF (by Rex Balfour, which, I believe, was Simon Puxley's nom de plume?) may well have arrived in my home bearing Wallasey postmarks.

Living, as I did then, semi-rurally, concert tickets were beyond my reach (financially and logistically) until I relocated to London just before the Flesh & Blood tour. How I'd have loved to have witnessed Roxy in person during their early to mid 70s peak; it might also have provided an opportunity to thank Peter for making us "country bumpkins" feel like we were still part of the Roxy "story".

It is sad if Peter felt forgotten, but it was nice to see him remembered by Phil, TGPT & Sal in Facebook comments over the weekend.

R.I.P., Peter, and thanks for all that you did for us and for Roxy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:24 pm 

A lovely tribute Jocelyn. So sorry to hear of the passing of Peter Leay - it " takes me right back when we were young " . I was a member of the Roxy Music Fan Club in the early '70s and I was always so excited when the newsletter arrived in the post . I too have lots of badges and an Eddie Riff t-shirt which is sadly too small now but I have kept it. I was also a very proud recipient of one of 3 vinyl records of Viva ! Roxy Music from EG records which I won in a nationwide competition organised by the fan club. I think Peter actually rang me up once to apologise for a delay in some merchandise arriving. It was a terrific club and I still have my membership card ! I actually made contact with Peter on Facebook not so long ago and he remembered me which was astonishing. I shall remember all his hard work with the club with extreme gratitude and fondness.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:12 pm 

Sad to hear of his passing, still got my fan club card and thanks to ebay my fan club news letters (after lending them to a former employee of BF who never returned them). What he and the fan club could have achieved with the internet is probably doesn't bear thinking about, having only royal mail and telephone to deal with. I never once called and couldn't get through.Peter's contribution to Roxys/Ferrys success in the 70s shouldn't be underestimated or as he feared airbrushed out, I could never figure why it ended as abruptly as it did.