VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: To make the cognosenti think
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:04 pm 

Oberon wrote:
Chers amis!

Aussi cett fois je suis d´accord avec le grand W2. Manifesto promises an exciting journey but after a minute or two, one becomes aware that the train hasn´t left the platform.
Bête Noir is one of my all time favourites, despite its somehow "American" sound. Hard to imagine it can be remade/remodelled, but how about a live recording with BF;s excellent band with help from Colin Good and contributions from Enrico Tomasso and others. Replace the dull synths of the 80s with real instruments.

Bonne journée à tous!

Hipsters,
W2 est vraiment contente que Oberon agrees.
Perhaps a joint letter to our hero would move him to finish ‘Manifesto’ - that train must leave the station !
With regard to ‘Bete Noire’ the debate will rage.
Many respected Ferryistas have a strong affection for the Leonard sound. W2 doesn’t share that passion. For him, it’s an important part of the noir trilogy that has great songs marred by over production.
The way forward to ‘re-making, re-modelling’ the whole album is illustrated by the fabulous treatment that ‘Boys & Girls’ got on the amazing ‘Bitter-Sweet’. Bryan should reassemble his orchestra tout suite.
Salutations et bon re-lock, unlock, partial lock or whatever other torture you are enduring (W2 is using the time to perfect his dancing).
Windswept.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:55 am 
Site Owner

I love the song 'Windswept' but just don't like the opening line "oh baby"....how many songs begin with that?

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:51 am 

Interesting points. I always missed AM sax solos on Street Life and All I Want Is You. Andy's playing there is more like a big band brass sound in the background. Phil's guitar is very present in these studio versions.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:04 pm 

pianoman wrote:
I can understand your opinion towards The Name Of The Game, Windswept + J.O'B. But IMHO its bombastic sound fits perfectly with the rest of Bȇte Noire. Try to see it as a document of pop music history 8-). Laissez les bons temps rouler - comme ils ont été, M. WS2 ;).

But what I always missed on Stranded + Country Life was the electric piano. After the dismissal of Brian Eno the band tried to change their sound a bit. Less synthesizer squeaking, more violin parts by Eddie and mostly acoustic piano (by Eddie - or Bryan?). I always felt that the e-piano is essential for Roxy's sound and was really angry when a German magazine called Roxy Music a "neo chanson band" :oops: :roll: :?:

Although I went to school at that time and had classical (acoustic) piano training I was satisfied when Siren brought back Rhodes and Wurlitzer :D .

@ J.O'B.: She Sells was a fabulous song which I used to play on the piano but I left out it's funky hard rock interludium ...

Hi Pianoman,

Very interesting to get the thoughts of keyboard player re Roxy's use of piano/keyboards - more of the same please from anyone else who plays an instrument! Be interested to know who else does - so far I know of John O'B, Pianoman and me!

Flesh and blood was a great live track during the F&B tour, particularly with the solo at the end. So I wonder why BF ended up playing on the album version? Just didn't do the track justice :(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:39 pm 

Now that you reminded me of BF playing guitar on FB, I am curious what other songs did he play guitar on in either RM or solo?
Other than his frequent "Air Guitar" on stage, has he ever played it live? I have seen RM/BF at least 20 times over the last 45 years and do not recall seeing him play.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:28 pm 

Hi Roger,

interesting question - who else plays an instrument here in the forum? In fact I don't always need piano tracks on songs. I admire a lot of guitar players such as Steve Lukather (Toto) who can play any style with sensational coolness on hundreds of records. I love guitar bands like the early Dire Straits or The Police where I never missed a keyboard if there was none. And of course your idol Manzo 8-) . Even if I was more into the Mackay + Eno instrumental parts.

Stay healthy,

Peter ("Pianoman")

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:54 am 

pianoman wrote:

“ who else plays an instrument here in the forum? “

Peter ("Pianoman")

Cher Pianoman,

Sadly not W2. The failure to do so being the massive regret of his life.

That said, he makes up for it by buying and listening to copious amounts of music from different genres.

In his dreams however, he has always played an instrument but that instrument has changed over the years.

When he was even younger than he is today, his favourite was the guitar. He hallucinated about being an Axe-Man and delivering that searing solo. The influences of Hendrix, Green, Gilmour and yes, God help us, Keef - were omnipresent.

As the years passed his interest in the guitar has wained. He still loves sensitive playing but now somehow balks at the obligatory screaming intervention.

His aspirations have long turned towards the keyboards, particularly the piano and wind instruments, particularly that ‘searing saxaphone’.

Today he dreams of tinkling those ivories with Goodlike magic and tunes into that piano riff like a moth to a flame.

One of the many reasons he vacillates towards friend Ferry.

Oh, a question for the cognoscenti - what is that beautiful instrument that duets with piano throughout that marvellous version of ‘Boys & Girls’ to be found on ‘Bittersweet ‘ ?

A free virtual cocktail for the first correct answer.

Salutations a tous et bon unlock, relock or even better no lock.

Windswept.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:16 am 

Windswept2: Sadly not W2. The failure to do so being the massive regret of his life.

Cher Windswept,

it is (almost) never too late to learn an instrument. As long as you have an empty corner of a room, you should buy an electric piano. Try to take some lessons, practice with headphones if you don't want to disturb Mrs. Windswept :lol: - and have fun.

And if not, sell it again via eBay or wherever you want. Of course, it takes some lessons until you really know if it's really your cup of tea or not. And you won't become Keith Emerson, Keith Jarrett or Lang Lang any more 8-) But do you have a problem with that?

Be courageous, stay healthy and au revoir!

- Peter - (pianoman)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:43 am 

cpl5938 wrote:
Now that you reminded me of BF playing guitar on FB, I am curious what other songs did he play guitar on in either RM or solo?
Other than his frequent "Air Guitar" on stage, has he ever played it live? I have seen RM/BF at least 20 times over the last 45 years and do not recall seeing him play.

My long years might be playing tricks with my memory but I’m sure the first time I saw Roxy in 1974 Bryan joined in on guitar at the end. Or was that on The Old Grey Whistle Test?.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:05 pm 

My two cents:

Atmos guitar, one of all the instruments played on the Mamouna album, did it add anything to the album? Did it make it sell more copies? :twisted:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next