A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Roxy Music - Video Killed the Radio Star - UK TV - Fri 6 Nov
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:06 pm 

Video Killed the Radio Star - Fri 6 Nov
Sky Arts (UK)
4:30pm-5:00pm (30 minutes)

Roxy Music Mark Ellen and Robert Elms discuss the impact of the first four Roxy Music albums.

Channel 11 on Freeview
Channel 122 on Sky
Channel 123 on Virgin
Repeats on Monday 9th November 10:30am - 11.am.

8-)

Post subject: Re: Roxy Music - Video Killed the Radio Star - UK TV - Fri 6
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:05 pm 

Thanks Roxy. missed it, but wil se my box to record it on Monday. By the way I think this was first aired in 2015. Roger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:37 pm 

Just watched this . It is good, but I really don’t think Mike Read has anything of note to say about Roxy Music. And it goes beyond the first four albums.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:15 pm 

Thanks for flagging this. Pretty sure it's diiferent to the episode from a few years, which focused solely on Ferry's solo career IIRC. All pretty well worn territory with some factual inaccuracies but good to see some fresh analysis of BF's highly underrated Spell on You video. Possibly the best video he ever made IMHO, although there was some stiff competition during that Taxi/Mamouna era.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:07 pm 

Hipsters,
All Ferry is good Ferry and W2 is forever grateful to the ever vigilant Roxy for flagging this - it whiled away a few minutes and prohibited the onset of a bout of ‘Lockdown Blues’.
That said, Windswept does pine for something about this century.
Nobody’s work has been more prodigious both in the studio and on the stage and his genre busting output speaks to his creativity.
Can we please have an interview about recent works and preferably conducted by somebody who really knows his music and shows !
Salutations a tous ,
W2
Ps. It would also be lovely to hear him comment about his different lineups. What he was looking for at that time etc...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:41 pm 

Just watched it and a bit disappointed, although IMHO the output of Sky Arts isn't always that great. The same old clips (although I could watch the Do The Strand clip over and over :D ) interspersed with some uninspiring documentary. I just thought that it was all a bit flat. It was quite a short program too, but then perhaps that reflected the lack of content.

I agree with Windswept 2 - we could really do with more output from BF/PM/AM/TGPT about RM post 2000. For instance what about interviews and official footage from the 2010 RM tour? The same re music magazines - where are the Roxy members (I can only read about the Pink Floyd guitar player's guitar collection so many times!). The opportunity to connect with fans during the Corona virus world crisis has been missed too - just look what Brian May and the mighty Fripp (with Toyah) are doing via the Youtube platform. I just fear that I might be blind, deaf or dead before anything new appears.

Apologies for being negative, but that's just as I see things :(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:58 pm 

Roger wrote:

No problem, this site has long since been divided between the positive and the negative ones, although I hesitate to use those words. :|

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:42 am 

le freak wrote:
Roger wrote:

No problem, this site has long since been divided between the positive and the negative ones, although I hesitate to use those words. :|

Mes Amis,

Il n’ya rien negatif about expressing an ‘informed’ opinion - all styles are definitely served here and Roger makes great points. Particularly regarding some of ‘Sky Arts’ output.
Mais to clarify, W2 was talking about the career ‘Ferry’ not just incarnations Of Roxy.
W2 has long considered that Roxy is Ferry and that Ferry is Roxy.

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:16 pm 

Roger wrote:
Just watched it and a bit disappointed, although IMHO the output of Sky Arts isn't always that great. The same old clips (although I could watch the Do The Strand clip over and over :D ) :(

Am I the only one who hates that performance of Do The Strand on OGWT? Ferry's dancing at its cringeworthy worst. The Dreamhome performance from the same broadcast is much better and Ladytron from the year before is even better again.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:54 pm 

Well, don't worry if you missed it, as you probably already know more about your favourite band than the presenters did...

Messrs Ellen & Hepworth discussing the first four Roxy albums would have been very watchable, but that's not what we got. Instead the rather anonymous "talking heads" had neglected to do much basic fact checking, so we got:

*Do The Strand from the OGWT in '73 as the soundtrack to much of the discussion about the '72 debut album;

*Stranded covergirl Marilyn Cole referred to as Miss World (she was Playboy magazine's '73 Playmate Of The Year);

*Let's Stick Together used to support the discussion of Siren, with the song referred to as a '75 single (it was '76 and was, of course, not a band release).

All of that before the second half leapt forward to BF's '85-'93 solo career, omitting late era Roxy ('79-'83) altogether.

I know 20-25 mins actual viewing time (i.e. excluding ad breaks) is short, but Roxy deserve better than this offering.