VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The finest track on each album and the best track of all
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:00 pm 
Site Owner

My answers to questionnaires like this would always be transient.
Ask me the same question next week and I may have different answers.

I would say all our lists would be different if we had only heard each song on record 10 times each and live once.
Our over familiarity with certain songs, be it their continued airplay/TV appearances etc and regularly on a live set may influence our choices.

I have written in brackets beside each song what was my favourite track from each album after my first 10 or so listens when I got the albums

Would You Believe (Ladytron)
Strictly Confidential (Editions Of You)
A Song For Europe (A Song For Europe)
A Really Good Time (Out Of The Blue)
She Sells (She Sells)
Stronger Through The Years (Manifesto)
Rain Rain Rain (Flesh And Blood)
True To Life (Take A Chance With Me)

Trash 2 (from the non album tracks)

Favourite overall song - - A Song For Europe

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:38 am 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
......I would say all our lists would be different if we had only heard each song on record 10 times each and live once.
Our over familiarity with certain songs, be it their continued airplay/TV appearances etc and regularly on a live set may influence our choices.......

J.O'B.

Mes Amis,

J.O’B makes an interesting point albeit W2 sees it differently.

IWNSHO (In Windswept’s Not So Humble Opinion), the absence of the obvious from selections by thinking Roxologists serves to demonstrate that aficionados have much better taste than passing fans !

Hence our sometimes frustration at overtly commercial set lists and our massive enthusiasm when our hero veers towards the avant-garde and delivers something ‘Out Of The Blue’.

Entre les cognoscenti, ‘Viva La Difference’ et ‘Viva Roxy Music’.

Salutations a tous et utilisez bien votre emprisonnement. An album a day will keep the psychiatrist away !

Windswept.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:44 am 

I guess most of us have been fans for a very long time. Thus most of the albums and songs have had their chance become very, very familiar.

In my view, it should then be possible to make a wise and maybe a bit brutal choice, in order to make a list that can withstand the test of time. However, I must admit that I would have chosen "Let`s Stick Together" as my favourite of that album hadn`t I been so tired of it.

Without counting votes, but based on my fresh memory, I`d say that we can proudly proclaim certain songs that stand out.

It wouldn`t be very wrong to announce "If There is Something" as the best song of RM`s first album, "Sentimental Fool" as the best song of Siren and "Reason or Rhyme" as the best song of Olympia.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:53 pm 

Once again I'm late to the party but it has been interesting looking over the choices so far. I always find these lists very difficult to do as it is so hard to pick just one favourite from each album but I am going to be very strict with myself and some choices......for today anyway, tomorrow some choices could be different!

RM - If There is Something (so tough with Re-make/Re-model shouting at me!)
FYP - Beauty Queen
Stranded - Serenade
CL - All I Want is....A Really Good Time ;)
Siren - Sentimental Fool
Man - Stronger Through the Years
F + B - Same Old Scene
Avalon - The Main Thing

Best over all for me is Beauty Queen. :)

The Viva! version of ITIS deserves a special mention!!

8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:58 pm 

Roxy wrote:
Once again I'm late to the party ........I am going to be very strict with myself and some choices......for today anyway, tomorrow some choices could be different!

RM - If There is Something (so tough with Re-make/Re-model shouting at me!)
FYP - Beauty Queen
Stranded - Serenade
CL - All I Want is....A Really Good Time ;)
Siren - Sentimental Fool
Man - Stronger Through the Years
F + B - Same Old Scene
Avalon - The Main Thing

Best over all for me is Beauty Queen. :)

The Viva! version of ITIS deserves a special mention!!

8-) 8-)

Cher Roxy,
Windswept is pleased that you’ve got a grip and severely disciplined yourself.
Your choices are an inspiration excepting, W2 can’t help but think had you included ‘2HB’ and ‘Mother Of Pearl’, you would have achieved Roxy Nirvana!
That said, when it comes to Listomanis, “The Next Time Is The Best Time We All Know”.
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:55 pm 

I haven't logged in for awhile, but my choices are below:

Roxy Music............If There Is Something
For Your Pleasure.....In Every Dream Home
Stranded...............Mother of Pearl
Country Life...........Out Of The Blue
Siren...................End of The Line
Manifesto..............Spin Me Round
Flesh and Blood.......Running Wild
Avalon.................Take A Chance With Me

Allitme: Mother of Pearl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:17 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:
That said, when it comes to Listomanis, “The Next Time Is The Best Time We All Know”.

If so, what is then the meaning of it? Don`t these lists make us any wiser? Will they all be different next time? If so, then I`m out of it. I would have expected this to be a bit more than fun.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:04 am 

I think the following brings the voting up to date:

ROXY MUSIC
Seven tracks have garnered votes, with If There Is Something (12) the clear favourite ahead of Re-Make/Re-Model (4), 2HB & Ladytron (3 each), Chance Meeting (2), Would You Believe? and Sea Breezes (1 each).

FOR YOUR PLEASURE
Testament to the broad appeal of this masterpiece is the fact that every track has been nominated. The cognoscenti appear to marginally favour Beauty Queen (8 votes) over Do The Strand (7), despite love also being expressed for In Every Dream Home A Heartache (4), The Bogus Man & For Your Pleasure (2 each), Strictly Confidential, Grey Lagoons & Editions Of You (1 each).

STRANDED
Only one song has failed to attract a vote (Psalm), with A Song For Europe (9.5) currently holding the edge over Mother Of Pearl (8). Other nominations to date are Serenade (3), Just Like You (2.5), Street Life, Sunset & Amazona (1 each).

COUNTRY LIFE
Not much to choose between most of the seven nominees: Out Of The Blue (6), A Really Good Time (4.5), Three And Nine & Prairie Rose (4 each), The Thrill Of It All & Casanova (3 each), with All I Want Is You creeping in quietly (0.5).

SIREN
Six nominees, with Sentimental Fool (13) garnering half the votes, ahead of Both Ends Burning (6), Love Is The Drug (4), Just Another High, End Of The Line & She Sells (1 each).

MANIFESTO
Six songs have received votes, with Manifesto (11) getting nearly half of them, ahead of Stronger Through The Years (5), Dance Away (4) & Spin Me Round (4 each), Ain't That So & Angel Eyes (1 each).

FLESH AND BLOOD
Eight different nominees, with Same Old Scene & Running Wild (6 each) currently holding the edge over Oh Yeah, My Only Love & Flesh And Blood (3 each), No Strange Delight & Over You (2 each) and Rain Rain Rain (1).

AVALON
One vote short here (only 25 cast), with the others spread over eight different songs. Take A Chance With Me (8) curries most favour, followed by The Main Thing & True To Life (4 each), More Than This (3), Avalon & To Turn You On (2 each), The Space Between & Tara (1 each).

ALL TIME FAVOURITE
21 votes spread over ten songs: If There Is Something & A Song For Europe (4 each), Do The Strand & Virginia Plain (3 each), Mother Of Pearl (2), Beauty Queen, Out Of The Blue, Same Old Scene, Bitter-Sweet & Casanova (1 each).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:36 am 

le freak wrote:
Windswept2 wrote:

If so, what is then the meaning of it? Don`t these lists make us any wiser? Will they all be different next time? If so, then I`m out of it. I would have expected this to be a bit more than fun.

Cher Le Freak,

Surely the whole point is to “Just have a really good, really good, really, really good, really good time “.

N’est-ce-pas ?

Salutations,

W2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:42 am 

Chers amis!

(While listening to the for me newly found masterpiece Rain Rain Rain - a proof that even a veteran listener can make discoveries now and then.)
This poll shows that - as most of us knows of course - that all Ferry is good Ferry as le grand W2 puts it. (With the exception of Is your love strong enough and Goodnight Irene). And of course it is all about having a good time!
Bonne Année à tous!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next