VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Avalon…….the last Roxy Music album
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:35 am 

Early this new year’s eve, I thought (rather than go to bed like sensible folk) I’d better reappraise the tracks on Avalon.

I have to say that it is a magnificent album, even though I grew up with and much prefer the earlier chapters of the oeuvre.

I’d really welcome other members’ views on the relative strength of the tracks. I’ve enjoyed “The Main Thing” as a show opener, for its rhythm and bombastic aplomb, but it isn’t something that calls to me when I need a bit of uplift.

Similarly, “ The Space Between” has never quite rung true for me, although I’d be happy to have written it. All that “listen, here, listen” stuff just doesn’t sound like something anyone would say. Moreover, there’s absolutely no chance of Bryan saying “this relationship ain’t right”. I doubt he’s ever said “ain’t” in has life! I ain’t going down to the Tate today!

Anyway, I ain’t trying to diss it!

For me, “While my heart…..”, “Take a chance……”, “Avalon”, “ India” and “Tara” are worth the admission price.

Thoughts of co-conspirators most welcome, as always.

Post subject: Re: Avalon…….the last Roxy Music album
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:01 pm 

Belated season's greetings to all members and thanks to Viva Voce for this topic....

As I have mentioned oh so many years ago, I love the Avalon a!bum as much as the debut album, but for completely different - probably age and relationship related - feelings.

Apart from FYP, there's usually one track, sometimes two, on every Roxy album that do next to nothing for me, and The Main Thing and Take a Chance With me are the runts of the Avalon litter imo. I like the sleazy legs akimbo punch of the Main Thing video, it adds to the Soho feel.....but otherwise subpar.

The Space Between and Heart Still Beating have grown stronger through the years (forgive the pun) to my ears and the latter was my highlight of the 2001 tour.

"Ain't" may well be an Americanism that's slipped into English usage since the hellish yuppie years but Bryan wrote Ain't that So? and of course loved the "ain't" in Shame Shame Shame!

Love to you all.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:03 am 

Most Elegantly Ageing Hipsters,
A huge bravo to VV on a brilliantly written missive and a New Years Eve well spent.
Windswept has always found ‘Avalon’ impossible to criticise.
The component parts are beyond good and the seamless construction of the album results in the ultimate smorgasbord of sound.
Our hero has often been accused of overworking and overproducing things but in this instance he got the balance absolutely right.
With regard to the individual songs, W2 purposefully forgets their names as he demands that they are all considered just pure ‘Avalon’.
Adding, subtracting or substituting a track would not only be a sacrilege, it would ruin an album that absolutely demands to be listened to in its entirety.
‘Concept’ doesn’t begin to describe it - one of the most important albums since the advent of vinyl.
Salutations a tous,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:29 pm 

I've always found Avalon my least favourite Roxy album and certainly least played. It definitely has its moments, but I always felt it would have benefitted from a couple of more up tempo tracks. The demos had some interesting unused tracks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:13 am 

Good evening all,

Dear Rendezvous, agreed, I meant to mention “Heart Still Beating” which, as you say, was a highlight in 2001 (eek, so long ago now). The stage lighting changed, I seem to recall, to an eerie purple, as it started (please correct me if I’m wrong……or I can unearth the dvd).

Re the “ain’t” word, I’ve been wracking my brain for its use on Roxy tracks before “Ain’t That So”. Can anyone remember an instance?

Cher W2, agreed, perhaps the most cohesive album of all the RM or BF output.

Thanks also Alan; I don’t think I know the demos. Can you elucidate please…….do you think they’ll ever see the light of day?

And good night all…………….

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:33 am 
Site Owner

VivaVoce wrote:
Good evening all,

Re the “ain’t” word, I’ve been wracking my brain for its use on Roxy tracks before “Ain’t That So”. Can anyone remember an instance?

This is not before Ain't That So but a year later on Lover...." but that ain't right"

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:38 pm 

Reaching a bit, but "t'ain't no big thing"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:06 pm 

Ooh, I think Bill looks like winning this one. Good spot, hiding in plain sight!

Best wishes,

VV

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:45 am 

initially Avalon felt slim to me because of the inclusion of 2 B sides India and To turn you on .. I remember being disappointed about this and felt it tarnished the album .. However, once I got used to these and saw them as part of the whole package I felt they were perfect for the overall mood. The Main Thing is one of by favourite tracks - the first time I heard it I felt it had a faint Grace Jones vibe - a cool funky energy. The weakest parts for me are Space Between ( too thin and the horns get annoying ) and Take a chance with me ( dislike the title and as a result chorus ). One song that hardly ever gets a mention is True to life - which for me is a highlight on the album - it has an epic sweep and I love the effects and instrumentation still. Having said all this I still play the album a lot and agree that it has the feeling of one piece of music - Unlike other Roxy albums it seems to exist simultaneously in an urban and rural environment

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:51 am 

As a child listening to music in the car my dad had a C90 cassette with Avalon on one side, and For Your Pleasure on the other.

The first two Roxy tracks that I consciously remember liking were Take a Chance With Me, and Strictly Confidential - strange bedfellows perhaps except that they both feature a lot of PM and oboe!

Regarding Avalon as an album - it took me a very long time to find any merit at all to The Space Between and True to Life. In fact I didn't appreciate True to Life at all until I heard Sophie Mahon perform an acoustic version with just her voice and acoustic guitar.