VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roxy Music LP Vinyl Re-issues.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:17 pm 

Now here’s a thing . According to Paul at Super Deluxe Edition, a man who knows his stuff , the forthcoming half-speed masters are a different beast from the 2015 box set.

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/hal ... -for-2022/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:14 pm 

I think the crucial words in the SDE article are:

"These are cut from the same source as in 2015. They are likely to sound very similar..."

Given that the changes to the artwork are rather cosmetic, I'm surprised that the price tag is as high as circa £30 per album.

Even the inveterate collector in me thinks this may be a reissue too far...

Now, the deluxe FYP really would be cause for celebration! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:36 pm 

I think this type of Catalog Churning is designed to capture the pocketbooks of newly arrived Bitcoin/Tech millionaires and the like who want to show off their new high end vinyl stereo set-ups and impress people with their ability to be hip...

Nothing wrong with that I suppose, and better Roxy on the turntable then some other bunch of retro-posers, but it's thin gruel for long time fans...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:39 am 

Hipsters,
DCJ speaks truth to power. This is indeed the thinnest of gruel.
Albeit W2 doubts that newly minted cyber/tech millionaires have sufficiently developed taste buds to appreciate the ‘Roxy’ soup.
That said, when considering ‘what else’ W2 gets a bit stuck.
Personally he would probably have liked a high quality coffee table memento but maybe there is more in the pipe ?
Salutations,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:22 am 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
I am sure there will be more to come this year as we are only half way through February so I would not be surprised if there is more to be announced..

J.O'B.

Dear John,

Phil said a few months ago that he worked on 12 Bryan tracks. Neil Jason also said a long time ago that Bryan was active during the Corona period. So that there is something new in the pipeline should certainly be expected.
But: is it conceivable that these songs will appear under the Roxy banner? In 2009, Bryan opted for a solo album (Olympia) rather than the long-awaited new Roxy album.

... Does he go the other way this time...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:08 am 

Assuming the information is true, Bryan is said to have not recognized himself enough in the studio sessions 2005/2006, which were briefly resumed in 2007. His influence was too small, there was too little Ferry in the recordings, so that later on he lost interest in the album and was not willing to write the corresponding lyrics.
Of course, that could now be a completely different requirement for a final Roxy album in the fiftieth anniversary year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:46 am 
Site Owner

Uwe wrote:
Assuming the information is true, Bryan is said to have not recognized himself enough in the studio sessions 2005/2006, which were briefly resumed in 2007. His influence was too small, there was too little Ferry in the recordings, so that later on he lost interest in the album and was not willing to write the corresponding lyrics.
Of course, that could now be a completely different requirement for a final Roxy album in the fiftieth anniversary year.

My take on the last Roxy sessions that could have produced the 9th Roxy Music album is that everyone took music to the project. Music that they all had lying around for a while and intended for solo work. When the idea of working together as a recording band again they individually took this music to the Roxy project instead. Some of this work would have ended up going back to being solo material be it Bryan, Phil or Andy's projects.

To me the only way a Roxy IX album would ever have worked is if they all got together with a blank real of tape (or data space as it would be now) and write new music together for the purpose of that album.

Everything I have said above is no more than an educated guess and what I take from quotes that some of the band members have said in the press.

As for Bryan, Phil or Andy's present work and future work, there is nothing I know of that would be my place to announce or discuss here. When there is some news to publish that I can publish then I would be given that information, but until then I have nothing new to say here about that.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:54 pm 

Dear John,

you are a very good diplomat. It wouldn't be serious of me to keep pressuring you here.

You are not responsible for the bad Bryan/Roxy management.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:28 pm 

Cher J’OB et les autres,
Honestly W2 doesn’t give a tinker’s preverbial about the latest vinyl release.
All he needs to know - is our hero in good health?
Salutations,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:38 pm 

Chers amis!

Je suis d´accord avec le grand W2 encore une fois. Let´s hope that our hero is healthy.
RM IX or not, we´ve got a string or very good BF records during the last decade or so, beginning with Olympia up to Bitter Sweet and live records added to that.
Salutations à tous!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next