VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Roxy Music LP Vinyl Re-issues.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:50 am 
Site Owner

http://vivaroxymusic.com/news.php?n=625

J.O'B.

Post subject: Re: Roxy Music LP Vinyl Re-issues.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:09 am 

Crikey, I hope this doesn't represent a highlight of the 50th anniversary commemorations!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:17 am 

UKRichard wrote:
Crikey, I hope this doesn't represent a highlight of the 50th anniversary commemorations!

My thoughts exactly. I assume this rules out any prospect of the long-rumoured deluxe edition of For Your Pleasure coming out this year as well. Maybe that will be released in 2023 to mark its 50th anniversary. Or maybe not. Didn't Steven Wilson complete a 5.1 mix on it years ago now?

Online fans of Queen and ELO to name but two seem similarly disappointed that the 50th anniversary of their favourites have been marked not with a bang but a whimper by those in control of releases. Still time for Team Roxy to buck the trend, but initial signs aren't promising.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:26 am 

UKRichard wrote:

I'm afraid it does :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:52 pm 

It's perfect for new listeners and trendy young audiophiles - and it might give the albums a brief appearance in the charts which is a good thing.

But...

The Jethro Tull boxsets released to coincide with each 40th anniversary are SO impressive and realistically priced. Most of them come with at least 3 CD and 2 DVDS - and the accompanying book frankly is worth the price of admission alone.

The Divine Comedy re-issued their first 9 albums - each album was remastered but came with a bonus disc filled with B sides, live versions, studio outtakes, live rehearsals etc - quite simply faultless.

And all I want - really - is a boxset of Roxy Music live, like a Deluxe Viva boxset. I've always found Roxy more interesting live, and it's such a shame that we are essentially forced to listen to bootlegs. I want a real product - ideally with DVDs too - and recollections from the musicians on each tour. It's not too much to hope is it!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:24 pm 

I should have seen this coming after the Ferry remasters last year.. i think adapting to items I want but don't need is key here. They should have released them in reverse chronological order , just for variety.
Its 1999 all over again .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:50 pm 

Perhaps understandably, it seems that no-one in a position of authority (ie BF) has the time or inclination to put much effort into anything like this anymore. Like the best of us, he’s getting on a bit and (not necessarily like the rest of us) has a hugely healthy bank balance, without worrying himself with this sort of stuff, which is really for the die-hards and therefore not massively lucrative.

It’s a shame that there’s no desire to invest the effort for old time’s sake, but I’ve never experienced RM as a highly fan-centered band. As other posts have suggested, it’s tended to be “we’re busy when we’re selling something”.

VV

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:12 pm 

Mes Amis,

For a 50th anniversary one has to conclude that this is, indeed, thin gruel!

Perhaps something more interesting will appear on the Ferry side of things ?

Salutations a tous,

W2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:52 pm 

Chers amis!
J´ai une question; is there any difference between these 50 anniverstity records to the ones in the 8 box the other year - in terms of sound & design?
I´ve been listening to Frantic this evening. Many good songs, like Cruel, Hiroshima, Fool to love, I thought... one just have to avoid the dreadful Goodnight Irene.
Will Bryan ever tour again?
Salutations à tous!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:59 pm 

WS2 got it right - Thin Gruel indeed!

Wow. Half Speed Masters at Abbey Road! I heard somewhere that the Beatles used to record there! Wow. Very impressive...

Churning The Catalog - Take 87

Sigh...