VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Guardian/other
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 9:32 pm 

Thanks for all the responses, colleagues!

Re IYM, I’m with the boss on this one. The songs just seem a bit leaden to me. I think BF has tried, at certain points, to appeal to a broader demographic and sell more records. For example he said that the Manifesto album was music for hairdressers. It has probably worked, now and again, but it didn’t on IYM. BF himself thought it “square” and I know what he meant. Even though I quite like the last bit of LMMA, where he sings “and should we meet again, etc……” it just doesn’t quite ring true. I like the extended string outro, but it must have taken Ann Odell all of five minutes to cobble that together.

Just not quite up there IMNSHS!!

Cheers,

VV

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 9:52 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
I think I am one of the few that no matter how many times I play In Your Mind I just can't get to like it

J.O'B.

John I think the main reason that I like it is the contribution of Chris Spedding. He brought in a new dimension and I think his playing is excellent on IYM.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 9:54 pm 

VivaVoce wrote:
Thanks for all the responses, colleagues!

Re IYM, I’m with the boss on this one. The songs just seem a bit leaden to me. I think BF has tried, at certain points, to appeal to a broader demographic and sell more records.

VV

I think TBSB fits into that category, as do the post TGPT Roxy albums.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 5:27 am 

The IYM album has a special place in my affections as it was the first album of new Ferry songs that I bought on release. I agree that it is somewhat formulaic but it is at least half a great album - the singles, the title track and LMMA are for me essential Ferry. And I still prefer it to TBSB.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 6:39 am 

Both are great albums. For different reasons, one is pop , the other soul., one from the extrovert Ferry, one from the introvert.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 11:25 am 

avalon_eyes wrote:
Both are great albums. For different reasons, one is pop , the other soul., one from the extrovert Ferry, one from the introvert.

Thank you, avalon_eyes, that's what I wanted to say! I am probably the only one who likes All Night Operator, One Kiss or Party Doll :D (great songwriting). And What Goes On, Carrickfergus or Take Me To The River (today you would call such an album 'Americana'). Unbelievable how productive Bryan Ferry was in the 70s: 6 Roxy albums + 5 solo albums - wow 8-) ! And, sorry Roger, no wrong musician ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 11:39 pm 

pianoman wrote:
avalon_eyes wrote:

Thank you, avalon_eyes, that's what I wanted to say! I am probably the only one who likes All Night Operator, One Kiss or Party Doll :D (great songwriting). And What Goes On, Carrickfergus or Take Me To The River (today you would call such an album 'Americana'). Unbelievable how productive Bryan Ferry was in the 70s: 6 Roxy albums + 5 solo albums - wow 8-) ! And, sorry Roger, no wrong musician ;)

Hello Peter. I always respect your comments and opinion. I just thought with TBSB that there were too many American session musicians used. It was a big change. I don't think that TBSB was a bad album and I like many of the songs, but I feel that things could have been so much better with input from the musicians that BF had trusted before.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 5:38 pm 

In Your Mind is Ferry's magnum opus. Great songs, fabulous horn section, fantastic drumming, gritty guitar playing. It also has the coolest album cover. And of course a memorable tour...

Ferry album Top 10
1. IYM
2. ATAP
3. Royal Albert Hall 1974
4. TFT
5. BAG
6. TBSB
7. Frantic
8. LST
9. Avonmore
10. ???

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 7:19 pm 

A list , great. I love them, but shouldn’t we move this to the Ferry forum?

10. Bete Noire

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 4:56 am 

Cher semtimental fool,

Your list shows our hero´s greatness. In my world, it´s upside down. Thus there´s candy for us all.
1) Mamouna
2) Bête Noir
3) Olympia
und so weiter...

Bonne journèe à tous!