VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Guardian/other
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:48 pm 

I’m sure colleagues will have spotted the nice little “readers’ interview” in the Guardian. BF is friendly about the band and mentions some songs he likes; look out for Manifesto, Sentimental Fool, Bogus Man and Mother of Pearl in the forthcoming set list. He also, candidly and sensibly, says Manifesto is the worst album and that he wouldn’t now listen to Cry, Cry, Cry, Trash, or My Little Girl. Hear, hear!!

The reference to Sentimental Fool sent me back to the footage of the 2011 tour. How strong his voice still was. I don’t think I enjoyed those gigs enough because I picked up on the chill onstage. Hope we avoid that this Autumn. It seems to me that it won’t be enough to roll out a weaker version of those shows. Hope someone is advising on how to ignite these big venues, figuratively speaking.

Looking back at Dave Gilmour concerts, he would roll out Bowie or someone. Clearly RM can’t do that, but I think they need a coup de theatre…..perhaps even just a new song. Perhaps Eno onstage for Virginia Plain? Or some radically different versions of songs.

I don’t know, but just think they should take a few risks.

Also, the congenitally reticent Ferry should get the band to the front at the end and thank them, and the audience, for the magnificent pageant that has unfolded, gradually, over the decades.

VVx

Post subject: Re: Guardian/other
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:12 am 

Thanks VV for an engaging post.

You're right, the Guardian "Interview" was quite interesting because it didn't sound like the same old, same old interview that BF has given many times over the past several years (although pit ponies did make an appearance).

I can't recall that he has ever mentioned the song Manifesto over the past couple of decades, but here he is singing its praises (while caustically dismissing several of the less weighty tracks on Manifesto's "West Side" - and he doesn't have anything nice to say about Trash from the "East Side")

So perhaps the song Manifesto will make it into the set list for Roxy 50. That would be rather remarkable methinks....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:19 am 

Good article thanks to the fan questions that were submitted and chosen.

I think Manifesto would make a great show opener (as it did in 79)on the anniversary tour, the instrumental build to the vocals kicking in which are not too taxing on the voice.
Quote:
Are there any Roxy Music songs that you feel were underappreciated and deserve another listen? DecafAmericano

Sometimes less obvious songs get overshadowed. I thought the opening, title track of Manifesto – with Alan Spenner playing great bass – was very strong. I’d done [1978 solo album] The Bride Stripped Bare with American musicians and was disappointed with how it was received. Punk had happened and I felt out of step, so I wanted to come back more in tune with what was happening. Sentimental Fool [from Siren, 1975] and The Bogus Man [For Your Pleasure, 1973] are also out-on-a-limb tracks that never got played on the radio, but are great if people have the time to listen.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/202 ... 4c3e3c257c
8-)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:08 pm 

Thank you, VivaVoce, for your post. I read the Guardian online from time to time but I didn't notice that the article was released now.

Good questions and not the usual answers. Interesting what he tells about the Manifesto songs. I liked the album - probably because there had been a long hiatus in and nobody knew if Roxy Music would ever reunite ... And yes, Trash had that new wave sound of 1979 - I always liked this song. And Dance Away. And Ain't That So. But not Cry Cry Cry ...

Interesting that BF mentions Sentimental Fool. It's one of the hidden gems on Siren. For everybody who attends one of the shows I hope they will perform it live.

- Peter -

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 10:32 pm 

I seem to remember around the time of F&B BF was quite critical of everything that went before it.............

Manifesto - IMHO Manifesto, the original Angel Eyes, Still Falls the Rain, Stronger Through the Years, Aint That So and Dance away are good tracks. STTYs - Roxy at their heaviest and darkest, shame it didn't happen more often.

Sentimental Fool - excellent track because Manzo was allowed some space to do what he does best, closely followed by TGPT. Shame that they didn't get the chance to do it more often.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 11:15 pm 

Forgot IYM. Good songs, wrong musicians.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 4:56 pm 

Roger wrote:
Forgot IYM. Good songs, wrong musicians.

Wrong musicians?!
John Porter
Paul Thompson
Phil Manzanera
John Wetton
Chris Spedding
David Skinner
Ann O'Dell
Neil Hubbard
Mel Collins
Chris Mercer
Martin Drover
Ray Cooper
Morris Pert
Frank Collins
Paddie McHugh
Dyan Birch
Jacquie Sullivan
Helen Chappelle
Doreen Chanter
Preston Hayward

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 6:30 pm 

My mistake, I meant the Bride stripped Bare. I think IYM is an excellent album.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 8:19 pm 
Site Owner

I think I am one of the few that no matter how many times I play In Your Mind I just can't get to like it

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 8:43 pm 

An enjoyable set of posts.