VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: ENO documentary coming
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 12:47 am 

Apologies if this should be posted elsewhere on the Forum, but there is a documentary forthcoming from Gary Hustwit on Brian ENO.

Please see the link below for further details.

https://www.hustwit.com/eno

Post subject: Re: ENO documentary coming
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 11:42 am 

Robertron wrote:
Apologies if this should be posted elsewhere on the Forum, but there is a documentary forthcoming from Gary Hustwit on Brian ENO.

Brian Eno was an important personality as a co-founder of Roxy Music, an influential producer of Bowie, Ferry (!), U2, Coldplay etc. He was the inventor of ambient music and he had always been a political man.

But in this respect I never understood why he supported + still supports, together with Roger Waters, BDS, a militant antisemitic group that only sees the Palestinian side of the medal. To me that's a shame - but I still like Enos's first solo albums and what he did as a producer.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 5:44 pm 

Eno is undoubtedly a significant force and presence on the landscape of late 20th and early 21st century music. He's clearly worth doing a documentary on.

That said, I think I'd be more interested in this project if it was being done without Eno's support and approval. He seems to me to be someone who is driven to define and cultivate his cultural standing as "An Artist" and to control his artistic legacy on his terms.

OK. That's his right. But, based upon interviews I've read of his over the years, Eno's take on Eno is not always that interesting.

Of course this latest project may turn out to be great and then I'll be happy to change my mind. However, I'm not so sure that will be the case...

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 6:07 pm 

pianoman wrote:
Robertron wrote:

But in this respect I never understood why he supported + still supports, together with Roger Waters, BDS, a militant antisemitic group that only sees the Palestinian side of the medal. To me that's a shame - but I still like Enos's first solo albums and what he did as a producer.

It's disturbing to bring in political views on what should be a forum on music.
But....
I recall an interview where Eno was visiting Palestine and one day was alongside a wall separating the Jewish and Palestinian "settlements" and met a Palestinian father carrying the remains of his son in a plastic bag. ... Eno had assumed he'd been shopping at the butcher's. That sort of thing is bound to create a distinct view about Israeli-Palestinian relations.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 2:31 am 

Okay politics aside, I'm sure there will be much to enjoy in this documentary. Also, I'm intrigued as to the various versions idea. Probably not a generative thing, like some of Eno's music and art installation stuff (you never know).