VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The voices of anticipation are silent now.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:58 am 

A reality check has stopped the dreamers. Any 9th album of Roxy has to be made of the three remaining members at equal level. -However, are you sure? Think of the two first Roxy albums. All songs are credited to Bryan. Only from the third album onwards, the other members are credited. Bryan has utterly stated that he`s not happy with that way of working, after that notorious attempt that should be well known by now. Presently, we are left in a limbo. Nobody knows whether that digital EP called “Love Letters” will materialize into something. We all know that both Phil Manzanera and Johnny Marr have done some recordings. Team Ferry are milking every drop of juice out of that old Roxy catalogue, plus a “Best of”. Does it sell? The band is probably rehearsing for this autumn`s anniversary shows these days. Who knows anything? A Bryan self-penned album, a “group” album, or a cover`s album? Are we talking the Christmas season or are we talking 2023 here?

Post subject: Re: The voices of anticipation are silent now.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:02 am 

Yeah nothing’s going to be released now - it would need to have been announced by now in order to release next month before the start of the tour.

To be honest the only thing I expected was probably a new greatest hits album to go along with the tour. Nothing new but maybe a 2CD set that went deeper into the back catalogue than the previous greatest hits did.

This wouldn’t have really meant much to us fans but I do find it strange that there is nothing ‘new’ being released to go with the tour. I know it’s a 50th anniversary but even a greatest hits that would have been easy to sell to the casual fan and have on the merchandise stand. Something like the Rolling Stones done for their 50th anniversary.
I know the reissues have been coming out but that only appeals to the hardcore fan and your casual fan probably doesn’t even know about them.

Anyway I think we’ll see Bryan returning to solo shows again next year - just hope there’s some new material for then or, at the very least, an expansion to the Love Letters EP.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:46 pm 

As a Roxy fan who can't go (or fly) to any of the last Roxy shows I also think of what this Roxy/Ferry year has brought us so far or could bring us in the second half :o .

I bought my last LPs in the 80s so the new editions of Roxy LPs aren't relevant to me at all :roll: .

Bryan's 4-Song-EP was a nice gift I didn't expect. Unfortunately only as download - but I remember that Smudge awoke hopes that some day we could buy it as a physical recording medium. Maybe a complete album :D ?

The 9th Roxy album? It's as realistic as the yeti or the monster of Loch Ness (I know our Scottish friends may see that in a completely different way :lol: ). But never say never: I remember how we all requested a new Ferry album in 2014 and as nobody believed that would ever happen again we suddenly got "Avonmore" (and it was not that bad IMHO).

FYP SE: Only for the diehard fans - like me :D .

Roxy Live 2022 as DVD/BluRay? For the diehards and some casual fans (to be published in 2023 or whenever). I'd buy it, of course :roll: .

A new Roxy greatest hits (double) album plus two, three or four new songs from the ominous 9th album seems to be the only realistic release to promote the tour. The new songs could be played live at the shows in US/CAN/UK :D.

Well, the tour. Why not Stockholm, Brussels, Paris, Munich, Rome or elsewhere on the continent? Due to the Brexit bureaucracy/costs? Maybe this puzzle will be solved one day, maybe not :oops:.

PS: On my birthday some days ago Mrs Pianoman and me watched the 2001 Roxy at the Apollo DVD. Fantastic 8-) , apart from some very quickly played songs (Oh Yeah, Editions Of You etc.).

PPS: Instead of a Roxy concert we go to a stage play dealing with the life of David Bowie - in our home town. We are very excited ... :D.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:01 pm 
Site Owner

le freak wrote:

Think of the two first Roxy albums. All songs are credited to Bryan. Only from the third album onwards, the other members are credited. Bryan has utterly stated that he`s not happy with that way of working, after that notorious attempt that should be well known by now.

Team Ferry are milking every drop of juice out of that old Roxy catalogue, plus a “Best of”. Does it sell?

Two points I am curious about the provenance of,

I have heard Bryan say often how he likes to collaborate, I have never heard him say he is not happy with that...and what 'notorious attempt' are you referring to?

Any Roxy product, be it a tour, a best of on vinyl etc is a Team Roxy thing so I am curious why it is assumed this is a Team BF thing.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:41 pm 

Well, I`m refering to some dialogue between Bryan and Andy some time ago about the 2005/2006 Roxy recordings. I don`t remember the circumstances, but I understood it was a rare case of the two band members discussing quite a hot topic in public. It seemed Andy had Bryan on the phone by initiative of some mag/homepage, and Andy asked when those recordings by the band were going to be finished. To my memory, Bryan answered that he wasn`t very happy with what they had achieved together.

I assumed it`s Team Ferry and not Roxy as the former has been the most active part in recent years.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:28 pm 

I assume rightly or wrongly that if Bryan wants something Roxy related to happen then it happens. If he doesn't then it doesn't.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:25 pm 

le freak wrote:
Well, I`m refering to some dialogue between Bryan and Andy some time ago about the 2005/2006 Roxy recordings. I don`t remember the circumstances, but I understood it was a rare case of the two band members discussing quite a hot topic in public. It seemed Andy had Bryan on the phone by initiative of some mag/homepage, and Andy asked when those recordings by the band were going to be finished. To my memory, Bryan answered that he wasn`t very happy with what they had achieved together.

I assumed it`s Team Ferry and not Roxy as the former has been the most active part in recent years.

Would this be the interview you refer to le freak? An Audience with Bryan Ferry from UNCUT magazine January 3013? https://www.uncut.co.uk/features/an-aud ... erry-1989/
I don't think they were on the phone but some famous names had submitted questions to be asked. 8-) I have the magazine but managed to find the same article online.

Would you like to finish the LP we started in 2006?
Andy Mackay
Not sure. Was there quite a lot of work done on it? Not really. I didn’t get excited about it at the time. I tried to, but then I ran out of enthusiasm for it. The big tour we did in 2001 was one of the best tours I’ve played on. We hadn’t played for 18 years, and you felt this wonderful excitement every night. We did a lot of shows, but taking it into the studio is a different thing. A lot of the onus is on me. Over the years, I got so used to making what we call solo albums – but they’re not really solo albums, they’re where I choose who plays on what, and I wanted to do that again. So the songs I had kicking around then I ended up using – certainly “Reason Or Rhyme” – on Olympia. My heart wasn’t in it, and it was pointless doing it. If one of the guys in Roxy came to me with a fabulous tune, then I might change my mind.

8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:25 pm 

Yes, that was it. -Good work!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:08 pm 
Site Owner

Did Andy Mackay not post a statement why he withdrew from the Roxy Music album?

I don't think it was solely Bryan that wasn't happy with the project.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:08 pm 

New Roxy Album

Guy Pratt in 2006:
It is coming along fine, I have been involved here and there and it is a pleasure to work with these guys, a band whom I have admired since I was a kid. I shouldn’t comment too much on the album at this stage as things change all the time but I am sure it will be a great album.

Phil Manzanera in 2007:
We have producesd 18 Tracks, some of them sounds fantastic.

I think it was Bryan who preferred to continue his solo career. The mood of the band on tour in 2011 was very cold and frosty.

And I stand by the fact that I read the following on Phil's homepage for a brief moment: New album and Roxy tour.

And I know exactly that someone from this forum also read that, unfortunately I forgot his name.

This post on Phil's homepage disappeared again after a few minutes...