VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: BBC Radio 2 Roxy Music at 50 3 , 3 part series
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:35 pm 

Miniluv wrote:
I wholeheartedly agree with Dean - it’s well worth a listen, all three hours of it if you can. I would also say say mostly recorded this year as well, with the occasional regular quote being repeated, such as “Trash by name trash by nature” by Phil. Which is a bit harsh really but as he wrote it he can say what he likes about it.

To also answer Dean’s question the person mentioned by Phil and Andy about the Studio 54 era is the late Ahmet Ertegun cofounder and president of Atlantic Records (plus the New York Cosmos soccer team).

Many thanks Miniluv. Hadn't heard this guys name mentioned in relation to Roxy before, which is yet another endorsement for the originality of this doc.

Some of the interviews do appear to have been recorded recently but I'm still not certain they all have. It would be a mistake to think they've come from the archives just because we've heard a few of the stories before. Phil and Bryan in particular are prone to repeating anecdotes but it's the youthful vitality of BF's voice at points that gives me most cause to wonder. It's a nice contrast either way to the jaded old University Professor/ Antique Shop owner that we've become accustomed to in recent years but maybe he's just upping his game here to match the vibrancy of the other band members and/ or in response to the the originality of the questions that are being posed to him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:54 pm 

One other thing I was slightly taken aback by on this doc was Jo Whiley talking in quite definitive terms about Amanda Lear being a transexual. I always knew this had been the subject of some speculation despite Lear herself denying it but it appears documents recently came to light confirming that she was indeed born a male. Not that it should be a big deal in these days of gender fluidity but I guess I'd always just taken her word for it especially as her & BF were apparently romantically involved around the time of the FYP cover shoot. Perhaps this explains why he buggered off & did it without telling the rest of the band!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:26 pm 

Ahmet Ertegun is credited on The Bride Stripped Bare album as "Counsel"

Probably the most important counsel Ertegun offered to BF was for BF to drop TGPT as the drummer for his solo albums. This is how the American studio drummer Rick Marotta showed up on TBSB

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:58 pm 

Boston Gig just got moved to a 5000 seat concert hall from the 20,000 hockey stadium. Should be a sell out now and acoustics better as this place (which opens in 2 weeks) is built for concerts.
Waiting to see what seats I got reassigned.
With now both Philly and Boston moved, waiting to see about NYC show at MSG...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:56 pm 

Really enjoyable.