VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2022 Set list
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:51 am 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
Hi Uwe, will you be at any of the UK shows, I remember us meeting in Oslo 2016 along with Oberon and some others.

J.O'B

Hello John,

there are two Uwe registered in the forum, the other is Uwe2. I think you met him back then in Oslo.
I too will watch the Roxy Show at the O2 Arena with my wife.

Warm greetings
Uwe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:19 pm 

I see that JG was (like in SanFran) dropped from the playlist in LA. I got to thinking that this might relate to the fact that it is the only song on the 20 song list that wasn't written by BF (or co-written with either PM or AM). Anybody who publicly plays/covers a John Lennon song is supposed to pay the heirs to his catalog/estate (essentially Yoko) a fee for performing it. How much this is I don't know, but I'm quite sure it's more than a nominal amount. That might have factored into the decision to drop JG from the setlist.

Of course this line of reasoning doesn't help with understanding why SOS was dropped (because BF wrote it). But publicly performing a song written by any of the Beatles doesn't come cheap in my estimation...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:39 pm 

On the subject of royalties, I know someone who knows someone who found out that no less than the Andy Warhol estate sent a cease and desist letter for unauthorized use of his paintings in the video package accompanying Editions of You. A shame as this is perhaps the most photographed song juxtaposing Warhol paintings with the striking Karl Stoecker Stranded band inside cover images.

The video package was notably missing from the Los Angeles show yesterday. Hopefully they can make some “quick” edits or come up with a plan B for the next leg of the tour.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:51 pm 

If any of that is true about the royalties to the Lennon estate and the Andy Warhol unauthorised use then that is really amateur stuff.

You would know before a tour what permissions you need and what money you may have to pay out etc. You wouldn’t just use images and other peoples songs without knowing what needed to be done to gain the permissions.

That would be poor stuff - not from the band obviously but their management who should be dealing with all that. As I say though that’s only if it’s true.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:52 pm 

On the surface it could look like they are tired. -Songs gradually disappearing from the setlist. A woe to the fans.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:00 pm 

Roxy and Brian have played JG a thousand times. Why would a royalties issue suddenly kick in now?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:17 pm 

All I'm saying, bottom line, is that one of the consequences resulting from Roxy not playing JG at San Fran or LA is that, for those two shows, no payment need to be paid to the Lennon estate (or whoever owns Lennon's post-Beatle publishing rights) for the simple reason that no Lennon song was performed at either of these shows.

Now, was that "the reason" that JG was dropped from the setlist, or simply a consequence. I don't know. But owners of the Lennon catalog have an interest in the other gigs on the US tour where JG was played. And they have no financial interest in the LA or SF shows.

It will be interesting to see if JG is reinstated for the three British shows that conclude the tour...

BTW, there is no "set fee" for performing an artist's songs - such fees can vary and at times seem quite exorbitant. There's an interesting clip on Youtube from David Lettermen's show a while back where the question arises whether Paul Shaffer's house band might play part of an Eagles song. And one of the show's producers is adamant that no Eagles song be played because, if they do, it seems it will cost $250,000 for a single on air performance. Why so much? Simply because that's what the Eagles' management demanded...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orgARa3sC_8

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:20 pm 

One should also remember that the band will get their royalties on their compositions - eg Andy will get them for Tara, Heart Still Beating and LITD and Phi for Out of the Blue

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:03 pm 
Site Owner

My father was the secretary of our local brass band which, he my brother and myself played in.

Part of his role as secretary was that he had to complete the performance rights form after public performances. The amounts to be paid were relatively small even though the music was from giants such as Beethoven, Mozart, Eric Ball etc.

I would say that the money on the 'Money Out' column for this tour and previous tours will have performing rights costs on there and budgeted for but they will be relatively small compared to the other costs and if there were money to be shaved off the overall cost of a show or tour I think a cover at 2 shows would not make much of a difference to merit it being dropped from the set.

If you look at Bryan's solo tours it has lots of covers on there and even in some cases at least 50% so based on that I don't think that is why Jealous Guy was dropped on 2 shows.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:13 pm 

OK, let's assume that performing rights fees are irrelevant to the decision to drop JG from the set list. So why do it and, along with dropping SOS, reduce the set list down to 18 tunes?

I looked at the VRM set lists from BF's March 2020 mini-tour of six gigs, and all of them presented at least 23 songs (and two had 25 songs). So, by that standard the 2022 Roxy tour was already rather abbreviated, with a max of 20 songs per gig. To then further reduce the set to 18 songs - one of which was their only #1 hit (albeit in Britain) - seems a bit strange.

Maybe the crowds weren't huge in LA and SF, but most of the people there paid hundreds of dollars for the privilege. So why limit the show to 18 songs? Hmmm...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next