VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Opening Night
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:41 pm 

owhawell wrote:

I don’t really understand the level of vitriol on this forum concerning the set lis…..

Cher owhawell,
W2 doesn’t see any “vitriol” here. Just genuine fans expressing honest opinions and there’s nothing wrong with that.
The launch evening set list may appeal to the casual fan but for many of us it is pedestrian in the extreme.
Many on this forum have invested years in Roxy and dearly want to see them go out on a high. Windswept will play to ‘The Penshaw Gods’ that this will still happen but there is a feeling that qualitatively this tour may prove to be a bridge too far.
Many of the cuts that learned Roxologists would like to hear are intricate, high energy numbers that vocally may well be beyond our hero’s reach. Indeed, this was W2’s worry from the get go and was why he would have preferred another solo tour.
The tides of time are difficult to reverse.
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:10 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:
owhawell wrote:

I don’t really understand the level of vitriol on this forum concerning the set lis…..

Cher owhawell,
W2 doesn’t see any “vitriol” here. Just genuine fans expressing honest opinions and there’s nothing wrong with that.
The launch evening set list may appeal to the casual fan but for many of us it is pedestrian in the extreme.
Many on this forum have invested years in Roxy and dearly want to see them go out on a high. Windswept will play to ‘The Penshaw Gods’ that this will still happen but there is a feeling that qualitatively this tour may prove to be a bridge too far.
Many of the cuts that learned Roxologists would like to hear are intricate, high energy numbers that vocally may well be beyond our hero’s reach. Indeed, this was W2’s worry from the get go and was why he would have preferred another solo tour.
The tides of time are difficult to reverse.
Salutations,
W2

Well said W2. This forum has always been a place where Roxy/BF fans can express their opinions openly and that's how it should be.
I was listening to the BBC recording of the Glasgow 2001 gig. It still comes across as being very safe as might be expected t the start of the tour. Perhaps we're seeing the same here?
Just a couple of other comments. I don't believe the band have run out of ideas. In particular Phil has produced a lot of excellent material over the last few years. He's also put a lot of effort into putting together his gear.
As regards Eddie Jobson. Let's remember that he was in Roxy and with BF for a very short time. Before Roxy he was in Curved Air, afterwards Frank Zappa, Jethro Tull, Yes (a bad experience, but then that's how it is in Yes - even Rick's son Olivier Wakeman was hired and fired!), UK, UKZ etc. He's lived in the USA for a long time and perhaps his presence would have helped sales on that leg of the tour. However, the truth is that Roxy were a small part of his career. Was he asked, did he decline, would he have been paid enough.............who knows?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:16 pm 

The great sadness here is that it is all about money. The inescapable conclusion is that some or all of the band wouldn’t have been the slightest bit interested in a 50th anniversary tour without the promise of a big cheque.

There’s been no effort to reflect on lesser known tracks the fans would love to hear, or new ways of arranging well known numbers. Just a basic plod through the obvious choices.

Imagine the counter-factual! A small but cleverly augmented Roxy Music playing daring arrangements of some hits but also lesser known (except to the cognoscenti) songs in theatres across the UK and Europe. A quieter tone, no battling against two drummers (this sounds awful, btw).

Unfortunately, the business in show business took over and the dollar grab has won, at the expense of everything, and everyone, else. I’m very much regretting signing up for Manchester and London, the tickets, the trains, the hotels, the drinks…….

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:22 pm 

VivaVoce wrote:
The great sadness here is that it is all about money. The inescapable conclusion is that some or all of the band wouldn’t have been the slightest bit interested in a 50th anniversary tour without the promise of a big cheque.

There’s been no effort to reflect on lesser known tracks the fans would love to hear, or new ways of arranging well known numbers. Just a basic plod through the obvious choices.

Imagine the counter-factual! A small but cleverly augmented Roxy Music playing daring arrangements of some hits but also lesser known (except to the cognoscenti) songs in theatres across the UK and Europe. A quieter tone, no battling against two drummers (this sounds awful, btw).

Unfortunately, the business in show business took over and the dollar grab has won, at the expense of everything, and everyone, else. I’m very much regretting signing up for Manchester and London, the tickets, the trains, the hotels, the drinks…….

I can only assume that the second drummer is on stage to get familiar with things in case Paul has a problem with his wrist. I don't get the second drummer, but then in one version of King Crimson there were 3 drummers and who am I to argue with Robert Fripp!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:56 pm 

I have to admit to being a bit disappointed and even somewhat surprised with the set list.
After all the talk of the 50 years and the snippets of interviews I thought we were in line for some nice surprises in there. I understand that they need to play the ‘hits’ but if you think there was a 20 song set list then I would have expected some surprises. If you think about it they could have done a 10/10 or even 12/8 split of rarities/hits.
Surely as well some imagination could have been used for a different opener/closer.
Also there was some nice backdrop images but again there’s the chance to be showing some old video footage on there as well - singing Jealous Guy for example they could have some footage of the video in the backdrop.

For what it’s worth I don’t think this tour is being done solely for a pay cheque (no one obviously turns their nose up at money though) but I do think there was a genuine feeling to mark the great occasion and especially after not being able to tour for near enough two years.
Maybe older age has bought about a feeling to play it ‘safe’ and not step out of the comfort zone. Easier to do it with an album that someone plays in their house rather than in front of thousands.

As for Bryan’s voice then we’ve all witnessed it’s change over these past 23 years of touring - again maybe another reason for playing it safe.
I really think Bryan would suit touring small intimate venues with a small string band singing in the style of ATGB, Jazz Age and even the latest EP. Hopefully that will be something he’ll do for his next tour and album.

I really hope that they have a change to the set list for the UK dates - we’ll see how much it changes, if any, during the rest of the US dates. Hopefully, with there being a break in between, they can go back to the drawing board a bit and Re-make Re-model that set list!

Sorry I’ll get my coat for that final pun! :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:58 am 

-Oooh, there`s much. It`s about getting unmanageable. It`s this feeling of standing in front of a luxury band. We`re not that adult, are we? They should be inspired amateurs, even the late period stuff would have benefited from that. Now they`re twice the size of a normal band. I miss Three And Nine, All I Want Is You and If It Takes All Night, the last one would give Andy a chance to show off. -Plus a couple of new songs for good measure, is there really so much to loose?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:36 am 

Set list from tonight. Same as before just with a slight rearranging of songs here and there.

RMRM/Out of The Blue/Bogus Man/Ladytron/While My Heart Is Still Beating/Oh Yeah/If There Is Something/IEDHAH/Tara/To Turn You On/Main Thing/Dance Away/Same Old Scene/My Only Love/More Than This/Avalon/Love Is The Drug/Editions of You/Do The Strand/Jealous Guy

Six songs from Avalon which is fair enough considering it’s the US leg but you would think they could drop a couple of those for the U.K. leg and give us a couple of earlier numbers.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:22 am 

I’d love to be proven wrong, but this seems to confirm the worst suspicions that the setlist is static. With the graphics prepared to accompany each song, there’s probably considerable time and effort that would be wasted on a bloated list of nightly song swaps.

If I didn’t know better, I would think this was a tour in promotion of the vinyl release of The Best of Roxy Music. I’m sure I’ll still have *A Really Good Time* at the show, it’s just disappointing that a band with such a deep, sometimes rarely performed catalogue would arrive at a setlist in which 10 of the 20 songs (if you include Jealous Guy) are the obvious hits from Avalon or Flesh + Blood.

1 song from Country Life and 0 from Stranded is beyond curious, particularly when the graphics and marketing clips surrounding the tour seem to borrow on the early Roxy Music aesthetic.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:55 am 

I’m sincerely hoping for changes for the UK dates. I would ditch the Avalon stuff, bar the singles maybe, and bring in Street Life, Mother of Pearl, A Song For Europe, All I Want is You, Prairie Rose and Both Ends Burning. To virtually ignore Stranded and Country Life is astonishing. Likewise Virginia Plain. Without that being on Top of The Pops and becoming a huge hit would many of us ever heard of Roxy Music?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:03 am 

A thoroughly critical report from the opening show in Toronto.

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/m ... 50th-anniv

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next