VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Glastonbury 2023
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:28 pm 

Really ? the Legends slot?
I’m not sure if these rumours are , well, mere rumours.
Also not sure that this is a slot I’d like to see my favourite band take.

Post subject: Re: Glastonbury 2023
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:44 pm 

I had always assumed that the show at the O2 Arena would be their last appearance together.
I don't think so anymore. They would have already announced it.
Who knows if they'll be interested in performing at Glastonbury. It's only a rumor so far, but there's often something to it.
Let's assume this rumor is true, what could it possibly mean: they have sparked speculation that they'll be coming back in an even bigger fashion at the legendary Worthy Farm music festival.
Eno ? New songs, new album?
As we know, Bryan has been in the studio for a long time. And Phil has been on 11 songs by his own admission.
Is Bryan going the other way this time? Olympia was originally supposed to be a Roxy album... maybe he decided to turn his solo album into a last Roxy album, with a corresponding tour?
Very exciting.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:21 pm 
Site Owner

Uwe wrote:
Olympia was originally supposed to be a Roxy album...

None of the material on Olympia started off on the Roxy 2006 sessions.

the origin of a lot of the RM 2006 sessions had material initially intended for Bryan & Phil's respective solo projects. They worked on some of that material during the Roxy sessions. The material ended up back with the respective solo projects.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:28 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
Uwe wrote:
Olympia was originally supposed to be a Roxy album...

None of the material on Olympia started off on the Roxy 2006 sessions.

the origin of a lot of the RM 2006 sessions had material initially intended for Bryan & Phil's respective solo projects. They worked on some of that material during the Roxy sessions. The material ended up back with the respective solo projects.

J.O'B.

Is it just me or? "The material ended up back with the respective solo projects."

-So none of the material on Olympia started off on the Roxy 2006 sessions. However, a lot of the RM 2006 sessions had material intended for Bryan & Phil`s repective solo projects. The material ended up back with the respective solo projects, but not on Olympia, as you say. Then we are left with at least only 2 Bryan albums, Dylanesque and Avonmore.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:49 am 

Hi John,

Thank you for your answer.
I think i know what you mean. With a bit of luck, however, Olympia could have become a Roxy album. It shouldn't have happened.
The Olympia album contains recordings from the Roxy sessions.

Once rumored to be a full Roxy Music album, Bryan Ferry's latest album features original Roxy Music members Andy Mackay, Phil Manzanera and Brian Eno.
There was a point where Olympia would become a new Roxy Music album. It would have been the band's first since 1982's Avalon.
At some point in the process, however, this became another Bryan Ferry solo album with original Roxy Music members Andy Mackay, Phil Manzanera and Brian Eno, and Ferry brought in a number of collaborators, some old, some new, to round out the album , his first featuring original songs since 2002's Frantic .
For Olympia, the founding members of Roxy Music have met in the studio for the first time since the '70s.
Brian Eno and Phil Manzanera feature on some tracks. [Andy] Mackay plays a little oboe. Having her with you is like a talisman. I (Ferry) even considered making a Roxy Music album out of these tracks, but then realized it wouldn't fit. If we do another Roxy Music record, it should sound more abstract, more experimental.

Maybe they'll surprise us next year...