VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Roxy Split after Avalon
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:45 pm 

True2Life wrote:
There are quotes from Bryan in Uncut's Roxy special issue from a couple of years back, saying that with hindsight he wishes he'd done Boys and Girls as a Roxy album but that he was very tired at the time. This was the start of Bryan's studio process becoming recording numerous musicians playing their parts and then him picking the one(s) he liked best to assemble the songs like some patchwork. I can't help feeling that if Andy and Phil had been working on it as a Roxy project then it would have added some discipline and a timescale for finishing it, rather than have it drag on for years unfinished and at great cost.

Also Bryan of course didn't tour Boys and Girls, apart from his Live Aid performance, and dived back into the studio to start Bete Noir. I can't help thinking that a Roxy tour would have given him time away from being creative to recharge the batteries.

Very good post, True2Life, and probably very true ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:24 pm 
Site Owner

Richard wrote:

There are some quotes from Phil and Andy about wanting to record brand new songs not ones that Ferry had half-finished and wanted Roxy to finish them.

Bryan was not the only one to bring work intended for their respective solo projects to the Roxy project.

To me Roxy IX needed to be fresh ideas made by everyone at that time for that album and I think they all realised that themselves eventually.

Just an opinion
J.O'B.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:29 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
Richard wrote:

There are some quotes from Phil and Andy about wanting to record brand new songs not ones that Ferry had half-finished and wanted Roxy to finish them.

Bryan was not the only one to bring work intended for their respective solo projects to the Roxy project.

To me Roxy IX needed to be fresh ideas made by everyone at that time for that album and I think they all realised that themselves eventually.

Just an opinion
J.O'B.

Thanks for clarifying John and I agree needed to start from a blank sheet so to speak. Its tough as there will always be bits and pieces lying around but unfair to bring something where your mind is almost made-up about its final form

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:23 am 

Back in May 2006, an interview was conducted with Eno.
For the band's album, which is to be released in autumn, he provided two songs at the band's request and finally a keyboard contribution to other tracks.

Interview with Phil Manzanera in March 2011:
As for the debated Roxy Music album from 05, where Eno was briefly back in the ranks?

A few tracks ended up on a Ferry album (“I haven't heard it, I've been told it's good – I seem to have written a track on it”), but most of the material was unfinished and everyone turned to other things.

Andy Mackay in January 2019:

In 2007 you guys started working on a new album. What happened? Why didn't it come out?

We did it the same way we did in the Stranded days - get a rhythm track, then let Bryan work on the lyrics and vocals while we worked on other songs. Bryan already had some songs half-done, which he later adapted into his album Olympia. For me, we didn't want to work on it anyway. All five of the original Roxy members, plus Guy Pratt on bass and Chris Thomas producing us again, we really should have been able to start again with brand new songs. What we did, we had seven or eight really good backing tracks.
I personally would love to revisit these tracks. I haven't heard her for a long time. I would like to see if there is a way to work on it. But Bryan is very busy. He likes to work. He's doing live work at the moment. He does a lot of it, so he's not really thinking about the studio right now.

Brian Eno was involved in this album right?

He was. The original five members, with Guy Pratt on bass, made up the line-up. Chris Thompson produced. It was a great lineup. Who knows? Something may or may not come of it. Who knows? It might not be very good. We won't know until we finish it.
But the one project we really should finish is that Roxy album. It's down to Bryan to decide. I can't ever read his mind. We've done a lot of great work together, but he's quite stubborn in the directions he wants to go in. I feel we owe people that album. Rock 'n' roll has given me a great life and the people who supported Roxy would like more, so I think we should try to do it.

The current tour dates came after the band reunited to be inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in 2019.

They performed six of their most popular songs at the ceremony. . . In every dream home a heartbreak, out of the blue, love is the drug, more than that, Avalon, Editions Of You.

The current shows are based on what Mackay refers to as "the three periods of Roxy Music".
https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/musi ... ating-pop/

Personally, I totally agree with Andy. Let the fans decide if the 9th Roxy album is good or bad. It doesn't matter whether it's material that everyone brought in back then, or whether it's partly new productions.

But I'm afraid that Bryan has forgotten how to compromise in his many years as a solo artist.

I find the statement that the US tour is more of a contractual obligation of the RRHOF interesting.
And I thought that during a cup of tea over Christmas 2021, Bryan and Phil spontaneously dreamed up this tour to celebrate the band's 50th anniversary...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:21 pm 

I believe Andy when he describes the Roxy recordings of 2005-06.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:18 pm 

pianoman wrote:
Gardner wrote:
For me .. If one song were to capture the musical and emotional possibilities of an imagined future Roxy Music it would have to be ‘I Thought’ …with ‘Reason or Rhyme’ a close second. Both of these songs capture the elusive qualities that I love in archetypal Roxy songs like Beauty Queen or Mother of Pearl

... and what about New Town, Limbo and Kiss And Tell? IMHO Bête Noire was the most Roxyesque BF album.

Pianoman - Sorry I didn't respond earlier - I'm not sure how to incorporate your contribution ( hope this works ok ) - Anyway what were we talking about ? Yes Bete Noir ! Well, I do love New town and can see your point about that particular song - but as a whole album I find BN suffers from the contributions from Patrick Leonard - for me this dates it and makes it sound too much like the work he did with Madonna .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:41 am 

Gardner wrote:
pianoman wrote:
Gardner wrote:
For me .. If one song were to capture the musical and emotional possibilities of an imagined future Roxy Music it would have to be ‘I Thought’ …with ‘Reason or Rhyme’ a close second. Both of these songs capture the elusive qualities that I love in archetypal Roxy songs like Beauty Queen or Mother of Pearl

... and what about New Town, Limbo and Kiss And Tell? IMHO Bête Noire was the most Roxyesque BF album.

Pianoman - Sorry I didn't respond earlier - I'm not sure how to incorporate your contribution ( hope this works ok ) - Anyway what were we talking about ? Yes Bete Noir ! Well, I do love New town and can see your point about that particular song - but as a whole album I find BN suffers from the contributions from Patrick Leonard - for me this dates it and makes it sound too much like the work he did with Madonna .

Hi Gardner, I think my short post could have really been misleading, sorry. I regarded the song material from Bête Noire irrespective of the production when I said it was the most Roxyesque album (and I think I read that New Town was originally some kind of outtake from Manifesto).

We know that Ferry had several (co-)producers in his solo career, from Rhett Davies and Colin Good to Robin Trower, Dave Stewart, Brian Eno, Nile Rodgers or Patrick Leonard. Of course each of them has left his fingerprints be it sonic treatments, a wah wah guitar, funky guitar riffs, a slap bass guitar sound or what else. Each sound in its own time - that's why I like the Leonard production, too, but I can understand if somebody doesn't.

Apart from that I found this thread very important even if there were only a few new aspects. During these times of Roxy touring CAN/US/UK more than a few of us think about what could have been if Roxy Music would have carried on ... album No. 9 in 1987 (after Boys + Girls), Roxy Music No. 10 in 1992 (called "Horoscope") or whatever one's vivid imagination could think of.

Maybe Roxy could have worked similar to the Genesis/Collins/Rutherford/Banks output in the 80s. At least for one more decade. Everybody could have pursued his own interests, but the band would have been their common basis.

Since the new millennium began, a lot of bands reunited, mostly without producing new material: Roxy Music, Led Zeppelin, Genesis with Phil Collins, The Police etc. - with the exception of The Eagles (double cd album in 2007 and not bad!).

Well, that was the course of history. It remains to be said that I wish a lot of fun and excitement to all my fellow VRM members who attend the shows in Scotland and England!

- Peter -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:46 pm 

pianoman wrote:
with the exception of The Eagles (double cd album in 2007 and not bad!).

Hæh, not bad. -No it`s not very bad. Professional critics are not kind to albums like this, with a reason. Think of all the mediocre Glen Frey stuff on side 4 of the double LP. The 10 minutes title track "Long Road Out of Eden" luckily lifts the whole album, imo. You would have to be very critical to call it Hotel California 2, like some critics have. Elsewhere there are some too sweet boy band songs and some enervating Joe Walsh songs, but otherwise an album I wouldn`t be without. -Just a digression.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:25 pm 

Uwe wrote:
Back in May 2006, an interview was conducted with Eno.
For the band's album, which is to be released in autumn, he provided two songs at the band's request and finally a keyboard contribution to other tracks.

Interview with Phil Manzanera in March 2011:
As for the debated Roxy Music album from 05, where Eno was briefly back in the ranks?

A few tracks ended up on a Ferry album (“I haven't heard it, I've been told it's good – I seem to have written a track on it”), but most of the material was unfinished and everyone turned to other things.

Andy Mackay in January 2019:

In 2007 you guys started working on a new album. What happened? Why didn't it come out?

We did it the same way we did in the Stranded days - get a rhythm track, then let Bryan work on the lyrics and vocals while we worked on other songs. Bryan already had some songs half-done, which he later adapted into his album Olympia. For me, we didn't want to work on it anyway. All five of the original Roxy members, plus Guy Pratt on bass and Chris Thomas producing us again, we really should have been able to start again with brand new songs. What we did, we had seven or eight really good backing tracks.
I personally would love to revisit these tracks. I haven't heard her for a long time. I would like to see if there is a way to work on it. But Bryan is very busy. He likes to work. He's doing live work at the moment. He does a lot of it, so he's not really thinking about the studio right now.

Brian Eno was involved in this album right?

He was. The original five members, with Guy Pratt on bass, made up the line-up. Chris Thompson produced. It was a great lineup. Who knows? Something may or may not come of it. Who knows? It might not be very good. We won't know until we finish it.
But the one project we really should finish is that Roxy album. It's down to Bryan to decide. I can't ever read his mind. We've done a lot of great work together, but he's quite stubborn in the directions he wants to go in. I feel we owe people that album. Rock 'n' roll has given me a great life and the people who supported Roxy would like more, so I think we should try to do it.

The current tour dates came after the band reunited to be inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in 2019.

They performed six of their most popular songs at the ceremony. . . In every dream home a heartbreak, out of the blue, love is the drug, more than that, Avalon, Editions Of You.

The current shows are based on what Mackay refers to as "the three periods of Roxy Music".
https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/musi ... ating-pop/

Personally, I totally agree with Andy. Let the fans decide if the 9th Roxy album is good or bad. It doesn't matter whether it's material that everyone brought in back then, or whether it's partly new productions.

But I'm afraid that Bryan has forgotten how to compromise in his many years as a solo artist.

I find the statement that the US tour is more of a contractual obligation of the RRHOF interesting.
And I thought that during a cup of tea over Christmas 2021, Bryan and Phil spontaneously dreamed up this tour to celebrate the band's 50th anniversary...

That's a great interview with Andy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:42 pm 

Yes a class interview from Andy!