VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: What a week for Roxy Music fans ....
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:05 pm 

Uwe wrote:

- Yes, the British, a topic in itself. There were still many seats available 10 minutes before the concert began. I said to my wife that, in contrast to the previous reports, it is probably not sold out today. But then the people came, some took their places with their mobile phones flashing, only during the third or fourth song. So you could always get up. As soon as they sat down, they got up again and bought beer in large cardboard bowls, which was then distributed to others over the heads of the concert-goers. It was very annoying, and after every beer the conversation got louder and louder. Very disturbing. And these were really not isolated cases. Unfortunately.

Hello Uwe
I understand the problem that you describe. I also takes place at premier league football games and cricket test matches in England too. Basically the people you describe are "corporate guests" of large companies. Whether it be football, cricket or a Roxy gig, they never get to their seats on time, drink far too much and are generally anti-social. They are there for the free drinks, food and to say that they were there. If I had paid a large amount of money for travel and a concert ticket there is no way that I would behave like that. Of course London is the financial centre of England so it may also have been highly paid bankers just having a night out. Other than that I hope you enjoyed your time in London.
schöne Grüße
Roger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:27 pm 

To those who have commented about a few mistakes made by the band. These things happen in live music, particularly on a short tour. Remember that Roxy had played over 50 gigs before the 2001 DVD was recorded. It's 10 or so years since Phil, Andy, TGPT and Bryan have played together. Be kind to our heroes :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:33 pm 

Roger wrote:
To those who have commented about a few mistakes made by the band. These things happen in live music, particularly on a short tour. Remember that Roxy had played over 50 gigs before the 2001 DVD was recorded. It's 10 or so years since Phil, Andy, TGPT and Bryan have played together. Be kind to our heroes :)

That's exactly what I wanted to say, Roger. I often played with bands where some mistakes during shows happened (sometimes caused by myself ;) ) but we always got back in tune - and: nobody (except from some befriended musicians) noticed any of these mistakes ... So please be kind to our Roxy heroes!

To Oberon: Although I love to read your posts because I know it's from the prospect of an artist this time I am sure you overshot the mark when you classified Phil's guitar style as noisy and loud :oops: . Phil always had a great talent to create a certain mood within the Roxy songs - be it with the sound or the chords he played. And yes, he is no Al di Meola or Steve Hackett but that's not really necessary. Remember that without Phil who promoted the memory of the band over the years, in 2022 Roxy Music would be a footnote of rock music history, 40 (!!) years after their last studio album.

By the way: Thanks for all your reports and comments on the RM anniversary tour 2022. I can imagine the shows and hope we get a dvd/blu ray some day for those who could not participate in one of these great concerts. I wish all the best to the band, especially health - who knows if it really was their last fandango. Europe's still waiting ... 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:28 pm 

Cher pianoman,
You are right. No doubt that PM is a great musician. But I am not so fond of his sound. By the way, I don't like Mozart either, much prefer composers like Debussy and Chopin, for exemple. So this is all about personal taste, not an attempt to judge.
And in my little world RM = BF. Albums like Boys&Girls, Bête Noir, Mamouna, Olympia are dearer to my than any RM recording.
All that said, it was a privilege to be able to attend the concert at O2.
Salutations à tous!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:49 pm 

Oberon wrote:
Cher pianoman,
You are right. No doubt that PM is a great musician. But I am not so fond of his sound. By the way, I don't like Mozart either, much prefer composers like Debussy and Chopin, for exemple. So this is all about personal taste, not an attempt to judge.
And in my little world RM = BF. Albums like Boys&Girls, Bête Noir, Mamouna, Olympia are dearer to my than any RM recording.
Salutations à tous!

Thank you for your quick response, Oberon! You don't have to be a fan of Amadeus as long there are Debussy, Ravel, Satie, Tchaikovsky, Mendelssohn, Schumann and other composers of the Romantic era. (My classical/baroque hero is Bach 8-) ).

As you said it is all a matter of personal taste. And don't forget what Windswept always told us: Roxy is a broad church ... So take from the Roxy/Ferry/Manzo/Andy/Eno back catalogue the records you like best - may you be happy while hearing them :D !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:22 am 

Oberon wrote:
Cher pianoman,
Salutations à tous!

I like Mozart and the first 4 Roxy albums are dearer to my than any Ferry album. :)

Last edited by jeanjean on Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:24 pm 

jeanjean wrote:
Oberon wrote:
Cher pianoman,
Salutations à tous!

I like Mozart and the first 4 Roxy albums are dealer to my than any Ferry album. :)

Hipsters,
With over 24 studio albums spanning 50 years, W2 can’t think of any other artist - living or dead - whose musical journey has encompassed so many different musical sub-genres whilst remaining distinctly original.
In this scenario it is little wonder that fans have their favourite epoch.
Being sufficiently wizened to have been there at the beginning, W2
has come to regard Ferry as his musical mentor as much as a favourite artist.
His foray into the great American songbook and into Jazz together with his many different interpretations of other peoples songs has often provoked W2 to research those sub-genres, broadening his appreciation of music en route.
No other artist has done this for him to the same extent and having been in lockstep all these years it is little surprise that although he has favourite songs from every album his taste tends to move with the ‘Taste Tarantula’ and “Next time is the best time, as we all know” is more than just a lyric - it often turns out to be true.
Salutations,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:24 pm 

Cher W2,
Tu as raison (comme presque toujours).

Bitter Sweet - now I'm talking about the jazz vinyl/cd - is another masterpiece. During the last three years or so, it has been the most played record in my house.
I know that Bryan Ferry got a medal from the late Queen some years ago. That was well deserved after all these years of first class delivery.
Stin yamas!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:54 pm 

Give me Berg, Webern, Bartok, Quiet Sun and the first five albums.

And I'll add that I love PM's tone. His sidework with Nico and John Cale is among my favorite of his playing.

(Always the contrarian :mrgreen: )

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:46 am 

[quote="Oberon"]
………..Bitter Sweet - now I'm talking about the jazz vinyl/cd - is another masterpiece. During the last three years or so, it has been the most played record in my house.
[quote]

Mes Amis,
Une fois de plus, Oberon se montre un home d’un gout consommé.
‘Bitter Sweet’ is indeed a masterpiece and is much under discussed in this hallowed cyber hall.
Although The Penshaw Gods have not been kind of late, W2 continues to pray for a ‘Love Letters’ solo tour that incorporates the ‘Bitter Sweet’ version of ‘Boys & Girls’.
Perhaps if we offer a communal prayer something will materialise.
Nous vivons dans l’espoir !
Salutations a tous,
Windswept.