VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: What a week for Roxy Music fans ....
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:27 am 

What a week for Roxy Music fans - Glasgow was like a dream - and all the other reviews have been ecstatic. For those like myself who doubted Ferry's vocals .. these fears were swept away by the intensity of the night.. an avante-garde, musical, visual and emotional triumph. It really feels that their time has come and they will forever be recognised as one of the UK's most influential bands. This time it will be written in stone. After all the concerns .. the set list made perfect sense - although I'd have liked a longer Bogus Man with even more Manzanera and some Ferry 'Chi Chi'. ..and I feel that an epic 'Chance Meeting should've replaced 'While my heart.. ' The opening line of CM would've been perfect for the occasion and at the end the band could've cooked up a spine tingling storm

Post subject: Re: What a week for Roxy Music fans ....
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:04 pm 

Indeed, what a week.

On balance I enjoyed Manchester more than London. Partly because at the O2 I was next to the mixing desk and the technicians were shouting at the top of their voices all night, not giving a stuff for the paying guests. Nevertheless, they’d obviously worked hard on the set and the amazing visuals.

I’m sure many of us crave more. I had a walk down the King’s Road on Saturday morning, hoping to bump into Bryan grabbing a designer coffee but, oddly, it didn’t happen!

Imagine a slimmed down Roxy playing theatres. Two nights at each, the first is RM and FYP, the second Stranded and CL. All sold out. No one would mind the whispery voice and they’d still make a few bob. But I guess they are rich and elderly and don’t particularly need or want more hassle.

A collective interview would be nice, reflecting on the tour and commenting on any potential future.

Love to all!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:53 am 

Gardner wrote:
.. these fears were swept away by the intensity of the night.. an avante-garde, musical, visual and emotional triumph. .. the set list made perfect sense - although I'd have liked a longer Bogus Man with even more Manzanera and some Ferry 'Chi Chi'. ..and I feel that an epic 'Chance Meeting should've replaced 'While my heart.. ' The opening line of CM would've been perfect for the occasion and at the end the band could've cooked up a spine tingling storm

Mes Amis,
Great words from Le Jardiner. He sums up W2’s sentiments completely sauf his preferred set let adjustments would have seen the inclusion of ‘ASFE’ and ‘MOP’ with the resting of ‘Avalon’ and “Jealous Guy’.
Musically there was just so much to admire.
The voice held up, TGPT’s drumming was spot,on as was Manzanera’s guitar. The absolute troubadour of the night though was Andy Mackay. Boy oh boy did he blow up a complete storm - he was fabulous and did all the heavy lifting.
Windswept and W2 junior (although he is quite senior) also thought the backdrop visuals extraordinary.
Indeed, had it not been for the truly awful O2 London venue it would have gone down as one of the great fandangos.
Venues are so important in Roxy world and W2 has seen Roxy & Ferry in some great locations and a good venue enhances the experience enormously whilst the reverse is also true.
Apart from the agony of getting to and from the O2, W2 was stuck behind this idiot who insisted in blocking an already limited view by waving his mobile contraption. Polite requests to stop were ignored and It was only when Windswept suggested it would be positioned in a part of his anatomy that would have required surgical removal that he ceased and desisted.
No sooner was that out of the way, then the idiot behind unleashed a search light that he had attached to his contraption that nearly blinded everybody. This was short lived because the row on mass turned on him.
Windswept wonders what is it with these people? Have they no manners at all. Surely to God they be happier at a ‘Bay City Rollers’ concert.
Sadly therefore W2’s enjoyment was completely marred by the venue and its Morons - such a shame because performed at TRAH it would have been the pinnacle.
But ‘Next Time Is The Best Time As We All Know ….’ but please Penshaw Gods not at the O2 or the crowd will be one down !
Salutations a tous,
Windswept

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:06 am 

I enjoyed London far more than I expected to. From looking at the set lists from the US shows and seeing them unchanged for the UK, with too many hoped-for treats for the faithful such as Manifesto and my long-lost All I Want Is You nowhere to be seen, my expectations were on the low side. They need not have been. What lifted the show to its heights was the apparent return of the camaraderie of the four being on stage together again, which as others have noted, seemed to have well and truly left the building by the end of the 2011 shows. This was joyous - the Ferry voice did all it needed to, supported by the backing vocalists. And the 2 Ms, messrs Mackay and Manzanera, were nothing short of magnificent. The Great Paul Thompson's return was surely the glue holding this mighty ensemble together.

I fear that hopes for future shows at smaller London venues, such as say the Royal Albert Hall, will fall on deaf ears as the finances of filling a 20,000 capacity venue for one performance as compared to 6,500 at the RAH will always come down in favour of a show at the bigger venue no matter how soul-less.

Was it the last time? I expected it to be but now I really don't know. But I know and you know, we all know, I had a really good time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:20 pm 

My summary after I'm back in Germany.

- great concert, great musicians, very interesting stage show. The Roxy Guys all had a great time that evening. It was palpable.

- The concert arena is impressive because of its size. The acoustics are really not good, the music often echoes back.

- Yes, the British, a topic in itself. There were still many seats available 10 minutes before the concert began. I said to my wife that, in contrast to the previous reports, it is probably not sold out today. But then the people came, some took their places with their mobile phones flashing, only during the third or fourth song. So you could always get up. As soon as they sat down, they got up again and bought beer in large cardboard bowls, which was then distributed to others over the heads of the concert-goers. It was very annoying, and after every beer the conversation got louder and louder. Very disturbing. And these were really not isolated cases. Unfortunately.

- Nevertheless: thanks Roxy Music for an outstanding show. Everyone, including Bryan (I was very concerned about his voice beforehand) put on a great show. I was really happy to have seen the concert with my wife at the O2 Arena. It will always be remembered as a special experience.

- Back to the British: the vast majority of people are very helpful and nice. I have to acknowledge that. Unfortunately, there are also people in Germany whose social behavior is getting worse and worse.

- Then the next morning. We met Phil and his wife (?) in the morning. They waited in line to be assigned a seat at the breakfast buffet. I plucked up all my courage and approached Phil. What can I say ? He is handsome and fit, he was really polite and nice. No hubris or arrogance that unfortunately defines other people. When asked if it was the last Roxy concert, he said: maybe.
Wait. Bryan seemed to have enjoyed himself very much. That's a good sign ! I haven't seen him on stage in such a good mood for a long time.
Later I met Andy. He was at the reception saying goodbye to his family. At that moment I didn't want to disturb. But later I followed him in the direction of the elevator and thanked him for an extraordinarily great concert experience. He was also very nice and not a bit arrogant and took his time.
I didn't see Bryan, who was also in the hotel.

- You Brits are lucky to have Roxy Music. They made music history around the world and I hope it's not over yet.
It would be a shame. Because they really are in very good shape.
All. Of course also THE GREAT PAUL THOMPSON.

Thank you Roxy!

Uwe from Germany.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:57 pm 

Great to hear your thoughts Uwe, that you met Phil and Andy and that their courtesy and affability were all that we could hope for. True gentlemen.

Yes I think the fact that Bryan seemed to enjoy himself so much holds the key to any future fandangos, assuming that all are fit and well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:58 pm 

Uwe wrote:
My summary after I'm back in Germany.

- great concert, great musicians, very interesting stage show. The Roxy Guys all had a great time that evening. It was palpable.

- The concert arena is impressive because of its size. The acoustics are really not good, the music often echoes back.

- Yes, the British, a topic in itself. There were still many seats available 10 minutes before the concert began. I said to my wife that, in contrast to the previous reports, it is probably not sold out today. But then the people came, some took their places with their mobile phones flashing, only during the third or fourth song. So you could always get up. As soon as they sat down, they got up again and bought beer in large cardboard bowls, which was then distributed to others over the heads of the concert-goers. It was very annoying, and after every beer the conversation got louder and louder. Very disturbing. And these were really not isolated cases. Unfortunately.

- Nevertheless: thanks Roxy Music for an outstanding show. Everyone, including Bryan (I was very concerned about his voice beforehand) put on a great show. I was really happy to have seen the concert with my wife at the O2 Arena. It will always be remembered as a special experience.

- Back to the British: the vast majority of people are very helpful and nice. I have to acknowledge that. Unfortunately, there are also people in Germany whose social behavior is getting worse and worse.

- Then the next morning. We met Phil and his wife (?) in the morning. They waited in line to be assigned a seat at the breakfast buffet. I plucked up all my courage and approached Phil. What can I say ? He is handsome and fit, he was really polite and nice. No hubris or arrogance that unfortunately defines other people. When asked if it was the last Roxy concert, he said: maybe.
Wait. Bryan seemed to have enjoyed himself very much. That's a good sign ! I haven't seen him on stage in such a good mood for a long time.
Later I met Andy. He was at the reception saying goodbye to his family. At that moment I didn't want to disturb. But later I followed him in the direction of the elevator and thanked him for an extraordinarily great concert experience. He was also very nice and not a bit arrogant and took his time.
I didn't see Bryan, who was also in the hotel.

- You Brits are lucky to have Roxy Music. They made music history around the world and I hope it's not over yet.
It would be a shame. Because they really are in very good shape.
All. Of course also THE GREAT PAUL THOMPSON.

Thank you Roxy!

Uwe from Germany.

Thanks Uwe - glad you enjoyed the show

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:25 pm 

What an interesting read from everyone so far ! It was lovely to see the band gel together and lots of smiles everywhere. Yes the set list held no surprises and agreed that a Song for Europe ( but with Colin Good playing the piano .... ) and Mother of Pearl should have been included . I went to the London gig and due to financial restraints sat in the Upper Tier with binoculars so I did not quite get the atmosphere and some guy on the row behind had dropped his phone under the seat and a lot of shuffling and chat ensued. For me, as others have said, Andy was the star, with the others very close behind. Bryan's voice sadly faded in the later stages and I am sorry to say but " More than This " was not great. I was not impressed with the percussionist who added very little to Paul's drumming, but I have since found out that the band had doubled up in case anyone fell ill with Covid so Tugg was really a kit player. Talking of TGPT- his playing of the HH and BD in To Turn You On was exquisite. Its a pity Julia Thornton and Lucy Wilkins weren't playing ( the violin solo was sorely missed in OoTB ).

I totally 100% agree with Windswept 2 regarding the venue. The O2 is too cavernous for Roxy and those high seats are not for those suffering with vertigo. They are terrifying ! Unfortunately as True 2 Life ( I think ) said these large venues bring in the big bucks unlike the Royal Albert Hall etc . One can but hope and pray but I think if Roxy do continue to play live it will be at festivals and big venues . Sigh ! It was great to see you John after all this time and Jocelyn.

Glad you met Phil and Andy at breakfast . We came down to breakfast early having heeded the letter from the hotel and instead saw Paul who was as friendly as ever.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:17 am 

A few more things to add to my post yesterday.

- Roxy fought his way into the concert on Friday. Like a professional football team that manages to pull the game more and more onto its side. They fought and gave everything and gradually reached the audience and took them on their journey. In view of their age and the enormous and powerful joy of playing, it was the most impressive Roxy concert of all time (for me). Chapeau!

- To Bryan: I'm pretty sure he started singing too early on the song LITD (perhaps those closer to the stage may have observed better). If that's the case, then it was incredibly professional how he handled the situation and got back to routine. Only someone who has many years of experience in stage presence can do this.
After the closing song Do THE Strand, all four Roxy Guys waved goodbye to the audience and received a long and never-ending applause. Bryan seemed to be the first to leave the stage. He returned to the three others and shook Paul's hand in thanks and appreciation. A grand and fair gesture. That was an emotional moment for me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:09 am 

Uwe - Bryan came in late on LITD. He was fiddling with his jacket. The backing singers sang the opening line in the correct place and then sang it with him a second time.

Paul also started to drum over the piano solo on RM/RM.

IMHO Manchester was the best gig sound wise and performance wise.