VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: No Live ShowsThis Year
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:07 pm 
Site Owner

I have had it confirmed that there will not be any Roxy Music or Bryan Ferry live shows this year.

J.O'B.

Post subject: Re: No Live ShowsThis Year
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:10 am 

It was a furious finale at the O2 Arena in London. I think it's good that no further live performances are to be expected. This is how the beautiful memory is preserved.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:19 am 

That's sad news. Not so much on the Roxy front given it was the 50th anniversary that brought them together last year, more so expectations around BF performances, given his prolific live work these last 20 years. That said, after over 50 years and in his 78th year, maybe our expectations are just too high?

I wonder though, where this leaves his new album, almost a decade on from 'Avonmore'?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:56 am 

It is sad but not totally unexpected. Bryan will be 79 next year and his voice is frail - maybe energy levels too. I guess he will concentrate on finishing off one last album. Maybe he and Phil & Andy will finally get the FYP deluxe edition out. Would be nice if they could get the films of the two Wembley shows from 1975 out.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bryan does a farewell concert next year, say at the Albert Hall with special guests.

Just my thoughts, but hey, what do I know?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:55 am 

Mes amis!

Mon Dieu, that was sad news. First of all, let´s hope that our hero´s health is fine.
So, in my case, 2023 will be a year of Mahler and Sibelius.
Salutations à tous.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:54 pm 

UKRichard wrote:
That's sad news. Not so much on the Roxy front given it was the 50th anniversary that brought them together last year, more so expectations around BF performances, given his prolific live work these last 20 years. That said, after over 50 years and in his 78th year, maybe our expectations are just too high?

I wonder though, where this leaves his new album, almost a decade on from 'Avonmore'?

At least some sequences from the 20005-2007 Roxy sessions found their place on the Olympia album. Is it the other way around this time? Maybe the BF material will become a new Roxy album... he left the stage (possibly with Roxy?). Why shouldn't Bryan dedicate one last album to the band that has remained loyal to him for so many decades. It would not surprise me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:36 pm 

A bit disappointing but not surprising. I would have been shocked for Roxy to be back out. The 50th was a milestone to be recognized but more than this, now the party's over....
As for a BF tour... not sure there is a big demand for another Roxy cover band outing which has been pretty much non stop for so many years. I suppose if he gets that solo album out before health/travel becomes a bigger issue , than maybe a 2024 final tour offering. Would think if he wanted to do another tour it would have been back half of this year....needs to happen sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:40 pm 

Slightly disappointed but not entirely surprised - I don’t think any of us expected further Roxy shows this year no matter how much we wanted them.

I did hope for a Ferry solo tour but with no sign of any new material imminent, in which a tour would follow, it’s not really surprising.
We know Bryan is getting older and won’t tour forever but hopefully there is one last solo tour - albeit on a smaller scale than previous ones.

Overall though I hope this is just down to Bryan wanting and getting some well earned rest and to enjoy some time in the studio.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:01 pm 

I'm not surprised by the "No Tour this year" announcement. I doubt that the economics of BF or Roxy touring a major band/assemblage this year could result in much positive cash flow. And as Alan points out, BF's voice is indeed "frail."

Presumably BF is still working on his "New Album" but things move slow in BF World. Perhaps a deluxe version of FYP will appear this year, but who knows?

I would like to be able to buy an enhanced/enlarged deluxe version of Viva! with extra live tracks from the '73-'75 era but I have no expectation this will actually happen.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:15 am 

Quote:
I would like to be able to buy an enhanced/enlarged deluxe version of Viva! with extra live tracks from the '73-'75 era but I have no expectation this will actually happen.

The abiding irony I feel when I think about things like this is the inevitability that recordings like these will be 'discovered' and released long after most of us here are gone. :roll: