VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The end of ROXY MUSIC ...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:34 pm 

UKRichard wrote:
I'm being somewhat facetious there, but I do fervently believe the world as a whole is dumbing down (and from the top down) and as we race headlong to the bottom we throw out all manner of baggage like heritage and culture in our bid to get there faster. :roll:

Very well expressed, UKRichard, I am afraid it's true :?.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:35 pm 

Excluding compilations and wholly BFO credits, BF's UK chart performance in the UK stacks up somewhat better than Germany but, as his 'home market', that's to be expected:
Boys and Girls - 1 Platinum
Bete Noire - 9 Gold
Taxi - 2 Gold
Mamouna - 11
As Time Goes By - 16 Gold
Frantic - 6 Silver
Dylanesque -5 Silver
Olympia - 19
Avonmore - 19
Bitter-Sweet - 60
Live 1974 - 18
Live 2020 - 18

That BF still charts at all is quite an achievement. Some of his contemporaries from the 70s, 80s and 90s might be managed better and have a higher profile, but are either no longer recording or don't sell new music in sufficient quantities to trouble the charts at all. Of course, chart placings are a crude measure as an album's longevity and time of release play a huge part. In terms of sales accreditations, all of Roxy's studio albums achieved Gold status in the UK except their final two, both of which went Platinum. In BF's case, the awards are shown above, but for earlier albums, the accreditations are:
TFT, ATAP, IYM - Gold, TBSB - Silver.

With the exception of more recent BF albums (at a time when Roxy were inactive anyway), I'd say it's largely a case of 'honours even'. Fittingly perhaps, the biggest sellers are most of the compilations, of which most are shared BF/RM tracks, no more so than the three-times Platinum Ultimate Collection.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:29 pm 

pianoman wrote:
UKRichard wrote:
I'm being somewhat facetious there, but I do fervently believe the world as a whole is dumbing down (and from the top down) and as we race headlong to the bottom we throw out all manner of baggage like heritage and culture in our bid to get there faster. :roll:

Very well expressed, UKRichard, I am afraid it's true :?.

Cher UKRichard,
Malheureuesement tu a raisin !
Mais take heart fellow Ferryista.
W2 refuses to dumb down.
He’ll never dress like a refuse collector and subscribes to the mantra that ‘A Ferry A Day Keeps The Doctor Away’ !
Worry not, ‘The Jazz Age’ will be back with us soon and all those tick tockers will burn in hell.
Salutations a tous,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:44 pm 

Still can’t believe that Roxy aren’t at least signing off with a visual/audio set from last years tour. It would have just wrapped the tour up and given us a memento of what was a great and unexpected occasion.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:53 pm 

Quote:
Mais take heart fellow Ferryista.
W2 refuses to dumb down.
He’ll never dress like a refuse collector and subscribes to the mantra that ‘A Ferry A Day Keeps The Doctor Away’ !

Words for us all to live by! :)
Quote:
Still can’t believe that Roxy aren’t at least signing off with a visual/audio set from last years tour. It would have just wrapped the tour up and given us a memento of what was a great and unexpected occasion.

Well the 2001 tour video was out within 7 months and 2011, errm, well...least said, the better! So for 2022, 'it's not looking favourite', as they've been known to say in my part of the world. You'd think, if anything, there'd be even more demand this time around given so many fans around the world were denied the opportunity to witness it first hand. :(

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:49 pm 

I do hope that a cd of "Roxy Live 2022" shows up at some point in the not too distant future.

I have found BF's "Live RAH 2020" to remain quite enjoyable after many repeated listens. Lately it has been my "late night" cd of choice as I unwind before hitting the hay... Pyjamarama is a stand out track! Also, Your Painted Smile. However, I will admit I'm a bit bored with Casanova at this point...

I think BF's production team does a great job mixing live performances. In contrast, studio productions like Love Letters don't hold my interest at all.

Regarding Roxy "officially" breaking up, I doubt this will ever happen, simply because the business enterprise that is Roxy (BF, PM, AM) will continue to exist long after the principle parties have passed on. Witness how the Beatles "broke up" in 1970, but the business enterprise (comprised of principles and widows/heirs) remains very active in promoting the catalog. Even if Roxy official "broke up," the three principals/heirs would still have to interact in managing the catalog/intellectual property that is Roxy.

Of course, one of the principles could (conceivably) buy out the interests of the other two principles and take over sole ownership of Roxy. but that would require a bit of capital to pull off. But even then, there would still be a Roxy of some sort on paper.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:40 am 

UKRichard wrote:
Quote:
Well the 2001 tour video was out within 7 months and 2011, errm, well...least said, the better! So for 2022, 'it's not looking favourite', as they've been known to say in my part of the world. You'd think, if anything, there'd be even more demand this time around given so many fans around the world were denied the opportunity to witness it first hand. :(

Ah yeah the 2011 DVD/CD set - we were actually told that this was getting released, even teased on BF YouTube with the backdrops from songs etc and then nothing!
Why I don’t know - superb set list! In fact probably better than any of us could have imagined when the tour was announced. Bryan in fine voice and the band as tight as ever. Just strange that nothing materialised especially with the fact that they said there would be a release.

Totally agree with you as well that there’d be a demand for this one - especially considering the very few shows that they actually played.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:56 pm 

A decent enough read, summarising Roxy's albums. It's a contemporary piece, so I'm not sure what the writer means by:

"Until news of their upcoming new release, Avalon was long-seen as an appropriate final studio album from Roxy Music."
:?:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:03 pm 

@UKRichard

How did this statement come about, or where can I read it? Thanks Richard for your answer.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:50 pm 

Uwe wrote:
@UKRichard

How did this statement come about, or where can I read it? Thanks Richard for your answer.

Ahh thanks Uwe - what an idiot I am! That previous post of mine was supposed to contain a link and I completely forgot it. The article in question is at https://www.loudersound.com/features/roxy-music-best-albums

I posted in this thread as an appraisal of their albums seemed appropriate to the topic, but the sentence in question is puzzling.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next