VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: MEN Arena Concert 30th Jan 2011
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:26 pm 

Hi Jo C,

Please remember I am a Roxy fan, its the sound quality that was bad in the seat I was sat!

I also liked the "unpoppy" tracks they released such as 2HB, Bittersweet, In Every Drean Home etc etc

As I've already said, the Apollo Live DVD sounds much better on my HTC system than last nights gig.
I'm sure when re-edited, mixed-down and tweaked, the new DVD will sound fine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:28 pm 

That's why at concerts you have price ranges.
If you buy a cheap £35 ticket your at the back and don't hear as well or see as well.
If you buy a £77 ticket like I have (twice) you are on Row B and hear and see everything perfect.
That's just how it works!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:35 pm 

Peanut wrote:
@ Barbados_Rum:

I hear you. I'm a regular gig-goer around Manchester. I'm out several times a month at university and club shows, venues in the region of 250-800 capacity. Rarely anything larger than that. I've seen a lot of arena shows in the past, and enjoyed many, but I'm not prepared to pay the outrageous prices most bands charge these days. I'd rather support young, up-and-coming acts in intimate venues, of which Manchester is blessed with many.

Roxy are one of the few bands I'm still prepared to break my own rule to see. But even then I have to have seats in the front block. If block 109 was all that was available, I'd pass, or go the tout route on the night. I haven't been that far back in over 20 years and no matter how great the performance, it's no way to experience a gig.

Hello again Peanut,

I wholeheartedly agree with all you say in the first paragraph ;)

I also take on board what you say with regards to front row only lol
I just wish I knew what you know about the MEN's shortcomings.
Thanks for the advice :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:01 pm 

I lived abroad for many years, so last night was only my second time at the MEN. The last time was David Bowie in 1995. I was on the front row then, too. But my point is not to brag. I know everyone in a 15,000-strong crowd cannot be on the front row; it's physically not possible. My point is that I rarely step into the world of arena rock anymore, but when I do, I try to maximise my enjoyment by being as close to the stage as possible. This isn't so much advice as it is a personal ethos.

I'm sure Roxy Music would like everyone to come away happy. And many in the cheap seats probably did. I'm sorry you didn't. It doesn't reflect well on the band, ultimately.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:14 pm 

Hello,

First time seeing these guys play live and I wasn't too familiar with at least half of the setlist seeing as how I'm a fair-weather, greatest-hits merchant when it comes to Roxy.
I'm fairly sure that most of the audience (not a sell-out with about 10000 in the arena) were in the same boat asme, but the band have decided to avoid the totally obvious choices song-wise: fair enough.

They were surprisingly muscular sounding: Manzanera's guitar sounded pretty glorious (although a special nod should go to the 12 year-old who supported him on the other side of the stage...he was dynamite!) and Paul Thompson was thunderous on the drums when he let it go.
Andy Mackay's oboe (fnarr, fnarr) and sax still sound like something from another world at times- Lord alone knows what folk made of it 40 years ago. I don't know why I should be so surprised but the level of musicianship was outatanding at times.
Of course there were additional players onstage and three ladies to help Mr. Ferry with the vocals, although he sounded exactly like how you'd hope Bryan Ferry to sound!

The other thing that struck me was the decision to light the band very sparingly, with the emphasis on the projection screen behind them, over which camera shots of the players were overlaid. This was fine for us lucky folk near the front but I did wonder how it looked from further back...muted, that's how. However, a lot of thought and work had gone into all this.

Obviously with the better-known material the crowd gave an even better repsonse and Ferry really enjoyed this: no escaping what the folk want, Bryan, and it was a privilege to hear the sheer craziness of 'Do The Strand' and 'Virginia Plain'- everyone around me was loving this!

The closing number saw the band play 'For Your Pleasure' during which they left the stage one-by-one, with only the pianist left by the end. Unusual (to me, anyway) and a very effective way to close the show.
On the way out I heard only positive comments from the crowd which is recommendation enough.

Cheers,

Si.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:19 pm 

Peanut wrote:
I lived abroad for many years, so last night was only my second time at the MEN. The last time was David Bowie in 1995. I was on the front row then, too. But my point is not to brag. I know everyone in a 15,000-strong crowd cannot be on the front row; it's physically not possible. My point is that I rarely step into the world of arena rock anymore, but when I do, I try to maximise my enjoyment by being as close to the stage as possible. This isn't so much advice as it is a personal ethos.

I'm sure Roxy Music would like everyone to come away happy. And many in the cheap seats probably did. I'm sorry you didn't. It doesn't reflect well on the band, ultimately.

I'm sure that there was no "bragging" intended ;)
I saw Emerson, Lake & Palmer at the Royal Albert Hall and was on the second row.... AWESOME!
The same with Led Zep, David Bowie and a few others.

I wouldn't call last night cheap, it cost £180 in total.
Admittedly, £40 of that was on food and drink at Hard Rock Cafe (another first for me) and the food was superb, well suprised :)

So, lesson learnt, front row from now on lol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:42 pm 

@ Si:

Great photos, man! Thanks for sharing.

Manzo is an axe-god. And yes, Ollie Thompson is brilliant, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:22 pm 

Peanut wrote:
@ Si:

Great photos, man! Thanks for sharing.

Manzo is an axe-god. And yes, Ollie Thompson is brilliant, too.

I second that...... crackin photo's ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:20 pm 

I agree. I saw Roxy at Wembley 1982 and had a front row ticket for 2 nights and for the 3rd night I had a ticket somewhere near the back. The front row shows were superb. The night when I was near the back was worse than rubbish ! Ever since, I refuse to see any band any further than 10 rows back !

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:34 pm 

Yeah, those photos are great and if you look on Youtube, some of the footage from the side of the stage (where i was) is excellent!!! The MEN is not the best place for sound, the Liverpool Echo Arena I think has learnt from this and is much better. The problem is production and the constraints of an arena, whereas an open air gig normally has delay towers for the people at the back. I think we're all agreed now though that they've ALL still got 'it'! :)