VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nottingham mini review
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:36 am 

After lurking for many moons i finally caved in and registered after last nights gig.

I LOVED it. The sound was great, the band were on form, the lighting was darkish but not as bad as some mentioned, but above all, the set list...was amazing!

We got '...dream home' which was just too exciting for words. Didn't see that coming. I thought they'd settled into a static set list and didn't expect any more additions. I had a theory that it was so tightly rehearsed to the video screen that they couldn't change the set much but '...dream home' had it's own video so is obviously long pre-planned.

My only issue with the set list would be to change the order slightly. I do agree that for the casual fan the middle stretch is a bit ponderous and lacking in light/shade. I love all the songs played but maybe dropping in Jealous Guy or Same Old Scene earlier would help. My wife is actually quite indifferent to Roxy - typically loves the hits but not much else and she was bored stiff during this segment and went all sleepy. Now i know it's my fault for dragging her along but the last homestretch she loved - in the end she finally got a sense of what Roxy mean in the scheme of things, especially with the wonderful backing video for Do The Strand. I think that momentum could have started much earlier in the set.

As others have said though, the audience reaction left a lot to be desired. LOADS of casual fans looking bored and talking. Even some fans near me who were nodding in appreciation when they played the older stuff didn't bother clapping - very odd!!

Slight gripes though, otherwise it was wonderful.

Post subject: Re: Nottingham mini review
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:14 pm 

I loved all the songs, but like you say, the order is a bit heavy on the ear for the casual fan. After the first 3 songs, there seems to be a huge chunk of lesser known songs. It could do with the odd big single , every 2 songs and then finish off with 5 or six big uns . But 23 songs is still fantastic. Even in the Manifesto, Flesh an Blood and Avalon days, you were lucky if you got more than 16. Apart from that, no complaints !

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:58 pm 

Maybe you are right concerning the mixture of the playlist, but in general I thought they played certainly enough 'well known-ones', even more than expected (talking about Birmingham, as Belgian the only show I saw). I actually would have loved even more of those, and less songs such as Jealous Guy, The only Love, Love is the drug .... they played lots of the big hits on festivals, which is normal, but these were supposed to be gigs for the real fans, ment for songs they hadn't played much live before, no? I was also very surprised that there was no 'encore' (bis numbers), I truly missed that to give the gig a proper end. But I was glad I made the trip, don't get me wrong!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:16 pm 

I suppose they could end the show and do For Your Pleasure as an encore. I think the way they leave the stage one by one is a good way to end the show, so For Your Pleasure should be the encore.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:21 pm 

A mixed bag this concert. Bryan sat down at the keyboard for several songs in the first half which took away the momentum (a sign of age??) and the lighting was quite sombre. He made very few comments to the crowd yet this was the "40th anniversary" concert.... how nice it would have been for him to have said a little about some of the songs. Having said this, it was wonderful to hear a really varied set with some songs I have never heard live before. Also Bryan's voice was much better than I expected (after hearing the poor effort on the Jonathan Ross show). The final part of the show was wonderful with a real buzz going through the crowd, mainly because Bryan started to interact with us! The crowd clearly contained too many fans who didn't know the early stuff but for me songs like Amazona and Street Life were awesome!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:10 am 

Many gigs have become 'greatest hits' shows for the people who have never bought the original albums.
So what a treat this show was for those of us who have been there from the beginning !

Many of the early songs are absolute classics, and have certainly not been played enough through the years. I cannot recall hearing Amazona, Just Like You, Prairie Rose, and Sentimental Fool live before. It was almost a surreal experience for me to do so.

The 'greatest hits' guys and gals in the audience were probably a bit confused or disappointed (Oh dear !)- but the rest of us were ecstatic.

I admire the band for giving the true Roxy fans a memorable night.

My only criticism is the for venue in Nottingham. It is is too large, and totally lacking in character and intimacy.
The sound quality and atmosphere suffer accordingly.
The audience are totally detached from the performance which is a shame.

Viva Roxy Music !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:34 pm 

I have followed this amazing website for many years and incidentally been a fan of RM since 1972/3 but have finally been prompted to join as I wanted to add my views re. the tour. I was at Nottingham with my husband and his brother. The latter had never seen Roxy before so hubby swopped his £65 seat next to me for his brother's £50 one in the next block. We had a fabulous evening with Bryan's voice much better than I'd been expecting. Unfortunately it was not the same for my hubby who said the sound was ..... and that it was the worst concert he had been to. He said other people near him had left etc. etc. What a shame - it appears that those who are in the cheaper seats ( still £50 mind !!) are losing out and being ripped off.
As for the concert - well the music was fantastic and the set list absolutely BRILLIANT ( with Every Dream Home as an added bonus ). Agree the lighting was too dim for my tastes and as a professional percussion teacher myself, I thought that if Tara Ferry had to be there it would have been better for him to add some timbre such as congas, tamb, marimba rather than just doubling up what Paul was doing very capably by himself. I would have liked to see Lucy Wilkins there with violin as she always enjoys herself. I thought that there was an air of detachment between members of the band. Still overall the music was wonderful and I am pleased that I went along. It was nice to say Hello to Bryan afterwards albeit briefly - there was a very pushy PR woman in attendance. There were only a few fans waiting and we didn't even get to see the other members of RM and we were all longstanding fans. Still waiting to meet Andy Mackay .......sigh !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:24 pm 

2HB wrote:
My only criticism is the for venue in Nottingham. It is is too large, and totally lacking in character and intimacy.
The sound quality and atmosphere suffer accordingly.
The audience are totally detached from the performance which is a shame.

Viva Roxy Music !

Nottingham Arena is one of the smallest of the main UK arenas so we had one of the most 'intimate' evenings!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:22 pm 

I agree Prairie Rose. It felt to me that Bryan, Andy and Phil were having nothing to do with each other. Professional yes but also perhaps turning up for the money. I am still glad I went as I can't get the tunes out of my head and I didn't want to miss seeing Bryan et al. one more time. I do think though that it will be the last time. I hope that they really go for it at the O2.

Did Bryan have a cold? He seemed to be struggling a little and wipng his nose a lot! That might explain all the sitting down.