VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Manchester 1979
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:05 pm 

I've been searching for bootlegs of the Flesh + Blood tour, but so far was unsuccessful. I've found some blogs mentioning them, so I know they must be lingering around. Even though F+B is generally disliked by RM fans, I have to admit I like most of the songs on the album and I play the album regularly. Hearing them live has been a rare pleasure, even though this footage prooves the songs translated very well to the stage (at the time). If anybody here could help me find a bootleg, I'd appreciate it.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:01 am 

I really appreciate the links in youtube that you shared..

fake diploma

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:49 am 

Link for Wembly 1980 Radio broadcast
http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=446
Soundboard recording from last night at Wembley 1980.
http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=455

I think the radio broadcast was from 31st July 1980. The 2nd link is from 2nd August 1980. Just listen to Manzanera's guitar on Thrill of it all. I was there, not too many rows from him and he was loud !! Rock n Roll !!

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:20 pm 

Thanks a lot - great stuff!

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:51 pm 

I think Flesh+Blood was overproduced, but you have to remember that it came out in 1980. Some of the songs came over really well live. They performed Midnight Hour (some shows) , Flesh+Blood, Rain, Same old Scene, Oh Yeah , My Only Love, Over You and Eight Miles High, all of which sounded great live apart from Midnight Hour which they soon dropped from the set list. It's not my favourite album but if you look at the songs on their own merits, they were all pretty good, although I still prefer the original versions of Midnight Hour and Eight Miles High to Roxy's. .

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:16 pm 

IanS wrote:
, although I still prefer the original versions of Midnight Hour and Eight Miles High to Roxy's. .

Eh? are you kidding? "F+B" is a much maligned album, which has some great songs on it, especially the singles which were released from it. It always brings back good memories for me, amazingly 31 years ago!, and I still think it is far superior to the dreadful, overrated "Avalon".

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:59 pm 

Flesh and Blood brings back, to me, the happiest of memories of all the Roxy albums. For me, it's by far the best of the three "comeback" albums. I remember, vividly, one hot sultry, summer Friday evening around midnight, yep, The Midnight Hour, walking home and stopping outside of some private function and "Over You" was blasting out from inside. If I remember rightly, the album had just been, or was about to, be released, and people were stopping outside just to hear this one track. I think (know) I was hopelessly (happlessly?) in love at the time as well hence, the words "and so it came to be our song", I related to the whole of F&B. For me it was (and still is) a love album. Love it, and the singles that came from it. It also brings back great memories of The Rock Garden pub in Queen Street in Glasgow who had the album on every day at lunch time that whole summer. Oh the memories...

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:22 pm 

I'm glad at least some Roxy fans share my enthousiasm for F+B. Personally I prefer it to Manifesto, which has great songs too (especially Manifesto itself, one of Roxy's best), but feels less strong as a whole. F+B is Roxy's most 'pop' album, which is probably the reason why so many dislike it, but why for pop fans as me it is a feast for the ear.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:52 am 

There are plenty of interesting points in the string above.

I agree with IanS when he says that there are lots of good songs on F&B when listened to individually. What he doesn't actually say, but what I think he implies and what I feel is the case, is that the overall result is less than the sum of the individual parts - a kind of reverse synergy if you like. I think this is because F&B is Roxy's most one dimensional album by far. One of the distinctive features of other Roxy albums (in particular the pre-split albums) is the variation between tracks and, often, the variation between phases of individual songs - but there is not much of this going on in F&B and it suffers as a result.

Also, I have always felt that sticking covers on this album was a bit lazy ( was this to appeal to the North American market?) and I too prefer the originals. Wilson Pickett's is the definitive Midnight Hour and the Byrds were breaking new ground with Eight Miles High - so RM were never going to surpass either of these originals. Despite the odd foray, Roxy have never been a covers band and they should have stuck to doing original music in their own inimitable style and left interpretations for BF's solo output. He does this so well, after all !

I enjoyed SB's personal recollections of the summer that F&B was released. He doesn't make it clear, but can we assume that the object of his affections at that time was not the eponymous Sadie? If she was then (given his moniker) that relationship doesn't appear to have moved on much in the intervening 30 years.

SB's post flags up an often overlooked point about our musical likes and dislikes. It is not all about the quality of the music. The situations that we find ourselves in, and the emotions that we find ourselves going through at the time that we are getting acquainted with a piece of music colours how we respond to it - and this sticks with us through the years. I can't be the only one for whom certain tracks and albums can trigger traces of my attitudes and emotions from when I first listened to them? Obviously not, because F&B takes SB back to his own Summer of Love!

I was a gallus teenager who thought the world was mine for the taking when the early Roxy albums were released. Their brash newness, their swagger, and the promise of even better to come completely matched my self perception at the time. While the real world has knocked a lot of that out of me, I still love those albums and, almost 40 years later, they can still bring out that teenager like no other music can.

I was under a bit of a cloud and finding out that life was tougher than I expected by the time F&B was released - so, putting the disappointing musical direction of the reformed Roxy aside, I was not predisposed to be particularly receptive to it. I don't look back on that period of my life with much warmth and I guess this impacts upon how I feel about this album, even now !

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:14 am 

I enjoyed watching the links that you shared in youtube.

Thank you!

Voucher Codes