VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: RIP Steve Harley
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:43 pm 

Very sad news: Steve Harley, the founder and mastermind of Cockney Rebel is dead. An outstanding band with a big touch of Roxy Music (clothes, makeup etc.). I loved the album The Human Menagerie, songs like Mr. Soft and, of course, Make Me Smile with its drive and its guitar solo. Unfortunately Steve Harley couldn't catch up with the charts in later years but he will never be forgotten. Any other Cockney Rebel fans in here?

-p-

Post subject: Re: RIP Steve Harley
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:42 pm 

No, I`m not a fan, but I still have the ol` seven inch "Make Me Smile" vinyl. It has a tremendous drive and an acoustic guitar solo. It was soft, a bit like Roxy`s "Three and Nine". I think that was how it conquered the masses; the combination of softness with a tremendous drive, plus the "doo-appa" chorus.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:54 pm 

I re-engaged with his work about a decade ago, having been a fan in the 1970s, and it has been fun catching up with his back catalogue.

Have attended half a dozen gigs in that time and the small group acoustic shows were, if anything, even better than the Cockney Rebel ones.

Such a pity that he didn't live long enough to pen his memoirs; his dry humour would have ensured a good read.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:17 pm 

Very sad news indeed. I like almost all his records. From the 70s megastardom to his return to the UK in the 80s and 90s. He also released some wonderful stuff in this millenium, like The Coast of Amalfi, Stranger comes to town etc. I also saw him 6-7 times, the first time i 1989. He had a fantastic stage presence, smiling, joking, great anecdotes. (Not always so in the 70s I've heard)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:28 am 

Always been my second favourite band/artiste after Roxy/Ferry. Seen him many times at various Glasgow venues over the years. Never disappointed. Very sad that he has passed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:44 pm 

I've downloaded Steve Harley's last album 'Uncovered' and I'm really enthusiastic about it 8-) . His 'swan songs' include compositions by Lennon/McCartney, Jagger/Richards, Bob Dylan, Cat Stevens and ... David Bowie ('Absolute Beginners').

Unfortunately no Bryan Ferry tune (what a mistake :D ), but nevertheless a wonderful collection of acoustic interpretations. I especially like his version of 'Emma' by Errol Brown/Hot Chocolate. Try it! (I've burnt the songs to CD - liner notes are available via Wikipedia).