VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Legends Are Dying ...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:01 am 

Another musical legend is dead: Glenn Frey, founding member of country rock heroes 'The Eagles' is dead. His music (including his solo work) has accompanied my life for many decades. Rest in Peace, Glenn and: Thank you for the Eagles show in Munich 2009!

PS: In his last solo album 'After Hours' from 2012 he did what so many others did - he covered old jazz standards like Bryan Ferry, Robert Palmer or Boz Scaggs.

Post subject: Re: The Legends Are Dying ...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:57 pm 

I knew they were great. See my previous post:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2222

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:47 pm 

le freak wrote:
I knew they were great

So we are the Roxymaniacs here who also have a friendly ear for The Eagles, le freak :lol:. I am a fan of many bands who fell out of favour with the critics during their career: The Eagles, Toto, R.E.M., Coldplay etc. Roxy Music and Bryan Ferry as a solo artist as well received less critical acclaim after their first records. To me it seems that critics in the media love to discover completely unknown artists, they are proud to be the first to have reviewed their albums. After one or two records they lose interest whereas the artists develop or/and become mainstream. But an album isn't necessarily bad because it's so-called 'mainstream' ...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:59 pm 

I`ve often thought that fat riffs are for the less sophisticated. With no fat riffs, the music gets awkward, and success in the US gets difficult. Critics can be bad for many artists. After many a slaughter Bryan released "Frantic". A Swedish critic; a hipster, and not of the ageing kind, called it "pub rock", so you can`t please everybody, can you? However, I often sympathise. David Gilmour deservedly got 4 out of 6 points for his latest album, to a lot of protests in a Norwegian newspaper. This is a really wry critic called Morten Ståle Nilsen. "Wry" in the puplic view, that is. He gave Bowie`s latest 5 out of 6 points. He is stern, but just, in my view. Maybe they`re a bit grumpy, but they have listened a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:06 pm 

Sorry to hear about Glenn Frey, though I must confess I don't know many songs by the Eagles :oops:

Quote:
The Legends Are Dying ...

Yes... We're coming to that age where our legends are dying. Because the people we're looking up to are a generation older than we are....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:57 pm 

Glenn Frey and Don Felder were not best friends.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:32 pm 

Lonely Dreamer wrote:
Yes... We're coming to that age where our legends are dying. Because the people we're looking up to are a generation older than we are....

That's it, Lonely Dreamer. My musical heroes are between 65 and 70 years old. I'm thankful for every pop + rock 'earthling' (the name of a Bowie album) who still shares the same planet with me. And that's the reason why I visited so many concerts during the last 7 years - you never know whether it could be the last chance to see (a) musical icon(s) on stage ... In terms of The Eagles it was :cry:.

le freak wrote:
Glenn Frey and Don Felder were not best friends.

No, le freak, they weren't. For a long time they had been an estranged band until they found a way to let hell freeze over :lol: . And after the sacking of Don Felder the last lineup of The Eagles (Henley/Frey/Walsh/Schmit) really seemed to be a good team. What a pity that it 's all over now ... And isn't that a shot across the bows for the members of Roxy Music to complete their ninth album as long as Ferry/Eno/Andy/Phil + TGPT are still alive?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:57 am 

I am so sad about all of the recent losses
Of Truly legendary musical artists

To call David Bowie, Glenn Frey or
Bryan Ferry anything less than that.....

We really want to think that they will be here forever
And they will through the music they have left for us

I agree with you Lonely Dreamer, we are the generation
Who are coming to terms with age now
How can David Bowie be gone?

And there are So many great songs by The Eagles
As an American I can honestly say we were Captivated by them

Pianonman, I know you are a Man of Excellent Wide Ranging Musical Tastes... You must let me know if you had a chance yet to sample any of the songs I referred to you.. 8-) ;)

And I am So Very Thankful that Bryan will come to my neck of the woods...
The Fox theatre in Detroit was one of his too few US dates,
And I have Never seen him live!!
I cannot tell you how fortunate I feel to finally get the chance to.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:18 am 

I feel sorry for them. Good bless theirs souls. David Bowie was a best musician ever. I really enjoy his music in my favourite bar. Now the best artists are gone. They have created so many awesome music during all those years.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:21 pm 

And isn't that a shot across the bows for the members of Roxy Music to complete their ninth album as long as Ferry/Eno/Andy/Phil + TGPT are still alive?

That, right there. Yes. And how about several well-aimed cannon across the RR Hall of Fame's bow to get Roxy/Ferry in, also while they're still above ground. A shameful/loathsome/pigheaded/art-blinddeafdumb omittance imo.

I know, why be so mild-mannered about it right?
Cannonballs landed squarely on the HoF poop deck, that's the ticket. A fusillade. Yup.