VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Royal Albert Hall 2020 Out on Friday
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:46 am 

avalon_eyes wrote:
Heart Still Beating needs more consideration .......

Cher avalon_eyes,

C’est Vrai !

Albeit it is a bit of a strange bird.

W2 was at Fréjus and it was a great fandango - Ferry’s crab walk alone was worth the ticket.

Mais, malheureusement the album is strung together from a series of gigs and it’s evident so you don’t really get the feeling of the night.

Also, the fact that the best track, ‘Like A Hurricane’ had proceeded it by some years and that Ferry had delivered great solo work in the interim combined to eclipsed it.

Indeed, when Windswept scratches his newly coiffured and nearly unlocked Barnet in contemplation, he thinks that the best live renditions are actually the ATGB, ‘Le Grand Rex’ fandango and the yet to be officially released AEWBF, ‘Tollwood Show’.

ATGB because it was one of the fandangos of the century. Fabulous musicians, fabulous set list, fabulous costumes, fabulous programme. That show had it all and for that DVD to be slung out there without even a companion CD is criminal. Sorry Bryan but W2 has to speak truth to power.

Windswept dreams of a re-release with the show DVD, CD and a vinyl of the original album in a hardback box set animated by the show programme. W2 wouldn’t know how fast to get his £150 out !

Ditto for AEWBF. Albeit as this was a German radio broadcast, who owns the rights ? Nonetheless, the blistering versions of ‘NYC’, ‘Hard Rain’ and ‘Move On Up’ together with the Jazz Age interventions make this one an absolute must.
W2 remembers this fandango so well. He took it in at both the RAH and Brighton where the cognoscenti got to meet ‘The Bonny Lad’. Windswept was positively levitating when those Jazz Heads and Ferry’s rock band gave it full throttle with Mayfield’s classic. Another must release. For it to remain in the archives would be a sacrilege.

Much to do Bryan ... much to do. Your public awaits !

Salutations a tous et tres bon vaccination .

Windswept.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:31 pm 

pianoman wrote:
Hi John,

I can fully understand your point of view as I was never a collector of live recordings. Not that I have seen so many Roxy-related concerts as you have (on the contrary, only 2 x Roxy + 4 x Ferry + one Roxy concert where I was ill / 1980 and one / 2005 when Roxy preferred to play in Berlin instead of Stuttgart).

The thing is that I love studio recordings - they show me the original intention of an artist or a band how a song should sound. And that's why I will once again start to play the complete Roxy/Ferry/Manzanera/Mackay/Eno/801 etc. studio catalogue on my hifi system within the next days.

Nevertheless do I listen to RAH 2020 with great pleasure and more often than I ever did to Live 2015, Viva!RoxyMusic - or the voiceless Jazz Age experiment. The Bogus Man, Casanova, Limbo, Just Like You, Don't Think Twice or Make You Feel My Love are worth a second or even a fifth listening!

And: Why I listen to this live recording could have something to do with the fact that we cannot expect new studio recordings from BF (or RM). So let's love the things we have in this crazy, dangerous and dark times!

- "pianoman" Peter -

Hi Peter,
I am the opposite of you because I prefer live recording to studio recordings. My reasons are as follows:
1 Advances in recording technology/software mean that many tracks on a song are available now as opposed to 8 or 16 tracks of a few years ago. Add this to over mixing/over production and IMO you can end up with a bland soup.
2 Quite often musicians find it difficult to determine when a recording is in it's final state. BF has quite often been guilty of this. However, once a studio recording has been completed the track played live can grow and change.
3 IMO the VEVO recordings of the mighty Sam Fender are better than his album tracks. The same applies to David Gilmour's best offering "On an Island". The live versions of songs from this CD offered more than the album tracks. I'd also mention Phil's "Listen Now album". The live tracks he did on tour I enjoyed far more.
4 In a live situation a band can react to what the audience are doing. Robert Fripp has some profound things to say about this.

One thing that I don't like about some live albums are the overdubs which detract from a so called "live" performance.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:08 pm 

Hipsters,
W2 violently agrees with Roger’s assessment of his preference for live recordings.
He articulates exactly why Windswept thinks why they are so important.
Salutations,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:38 pm 

Chers amis!

Enfin, the snail has arrived with the signed Vinyl + CD.
My wife is out so I have been playing the record really loud while having an early aperitif. I´m not fond of dark covers, so let´s not talk about that. This record is such a great souvenir from the "last concert on planet Earth". The sound is great and our hero´s voice goes well with the good, old wine that I´m drinking. Highlights for me are Hiroshima, mon amour, Limbo and Your painted smile. The versions of Bogus man & Dance away are very good.
Perhaps needless to say, but I like all BF;s live recordings. Pathetic or not, I can confess that I´m playing "Live in Lyon" as well as "2015" every week.
The only little cloud is that the record ends with early, noisy RM stuff. Why not replace the tedious VP and Editions with you with, for exemple, Chain reaction and Running wild. And, indeed, that magic Friday, the show ended with Jealous guy.

Salutations à tous!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:30 pm 

Oberon wrote:
Chers amis!

Enfin, the snail has arrived with the signed Vinyl + CD.
My wife is out so I have been playing the record really loud while having an early aperitif. I´m not fond of dark covers, so let´s not talk about that. This record is such a great souvenir from the "last concert on planet Earth". The sound is great and our hero´s voice goes well with the good, old wine that I´m drinking. Highlights for me are Hiroshima, mon amour, Limbo and Your painted smile. The versions of Bogus man & Dance away are very good.
Perhaps needless to say, but I like all BF;s live recordings. Pathetic or not, I can confess that I´m playing "Live in Lyon" as well as "2015" every week.
The only little cloud is that the record ends with early, noisy RM stuff. Why not replace the tedious VP and Editions with you with, for exemple, Chain reaction and Running wild. And, indeed, that magic Friday, the show ended with Jealous guy.

Salutations à tous!

Cher Oberon,
Windswept is delighted that you are enjoying the album.
W2 finds himself playing more and more ‘live’ Ferry.
It’s a way of participating in real life until the world fully reopens.
Salutations,
Windswept.