VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Where Is Our Hero ?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:19 pm 

Quote:
others have morphed into caricatures of their former selves: ‘Rod The Mod’ and Phil Collins and Elton John to name but three.

As far as Rod n Elton are concerned, I don't see anything that suggests they're caricatures of their former selves - still making decent music (very successfully too) and having fun in the process. Elton's tantrums aside, neither have a history of exactly taking themselves too seriously and that's as true today as it's ever been.

As for Phil Collins, how has he become a caricature? He's been largely absent from the music scene for years prior to the recent Genesis outing. The wisdom of undertaking such a tour given his state of health might be questionable. It strikes me as a rather bold, arguably brave thing to do, but is he a caricature? I don't see it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:05 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:
Whilst others have morphed into caricatures of their former selves: ‘Rod The Mod’ and Phil Collins and Elton John to name but three.

Caricatures? Definitely not! I have listened to the recent albums of Rod and Elton and they sound good. And poor Phil has still a fabulous voice. You mentioned Boz (Scaggs) - he turned from a soul to a jazz and Americana singer. Although I like his new material I don't think that every artist has to turn into a jazz musician at the end of his career. Even Bryan has mostly performed rock and pop material in the years before Covid.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:59 pm 

Well, Rod did produce 5 volumes of the 'Great American Songbook'! Bryan has tended to explore different genres and make a definitive album such as ' As Time goes by'. Rather than strip mining the genre like Mr. Stewart.
Don't get me wrong I enjoy a lot of Rod's work. I just think that Bryan has remained an innovator.Moving on to new work while other artists linger behind.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:30 pm 

Manifesto wrote:
Well, Rod did produce 5 volumes of the 'Great American Songbook'!

That's true. And while Robert Palmer and Bryan (except from the earlier TFT, SGIYE + YGTMH) were the first to explore this genre and performed very well as we know, Rod didn't have the voice nor the personality for swing. I never understood how he could do five albums of TGAS ...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:38 am 

I wouldn't say the direction this thread has taken is one of comparing BF with the other artists mentioned, but one of ascertaining how said artists have become 'caricatures' of their former selves.
Since the last installment of Rod Stewart's questionable American Songbook outings in 2010, he's produced three pretty fine original albums (not including a rather dodgy Christmas album in 2012) that sit well alongside his best work. I've listened too to Elton's latest and it's a decent collection of largely very credible songs, each a collaboration with a contemporary artist, none of whom I believe would put their individual reputations on the line to work with a 'caricature'.
I have the utmost respect for W2 - he's articulate, witty, knowledgeable and a staunch defender of BF and his work, but Monsieur you diminish such a mighty fine reputation with these occasional bouts of what can only be described as musical snobbery!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:46 am 

Chers amis!

The last posts have not so much to do with our main concern; how is our hero and what is he up to?
Anyway, we all have different taste. Personally I find that Phil and his mates in Genesis are very good musicians even though their music is not what i listen to these days and, as the great pianoman puts it, it is brave that they are touring. Rod has his voice and charisma, but musically, well, I leave that to others. Old Reg´s popularity over the years has been something of an enigma to be. But why spend time on this? I´d love the idea that BF is remaking/remodelling Bête Noir, but it should surprise me. let´s hope that he is healthy and that we will have some exciting news soon. Artists never retire!
Salutations à tous!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:23 pm 

Cher Oberon,

it's always nice to hear from you - hope you are fine. As for your wish to get a re-made re-modelled Bȇte Noire: Hopefully it will come true. As for me I hope that my wishes (FYP Deluxe + new Ferry material) are still in the race for 2022 ;) .

Meilleures salutations de la Bavarie

- pianoman -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:38 pm 

UKRichard wrote:
W2 - he's articulate, witty, knowledgeable and a staunch defender of BF and his work, but Monsieur you diminish such a mighty fine reputation with these occasional bouts of what can only be described as musical snobbery!

Cher UK Richard,
W2 accept’s completely your assessment of him. Particularly the “musical snobbery” of which he is particularly proud !
It was never Windswept’s intention to upset fans of Rod the Rooster, Rotund Reg or Diminutive Phil.
He apologises unreservedly.
W2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:18 pm 

Hipsters,
Enough is enough - where is our hero ?
No update on his website since June ‘21.
Quel Bordel - what is going on ?
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:41 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:
Hipsters,
Enough is enough - where is our hero ?
No update on his website since June ‘21.
Quel Bordel - what is going on ?
Salutations,
W2

You are right. Does he prepare a surprise for 2022 or should we be worried about him?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next