VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: thoughts on Taxi
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:29 pm 

I was wondering what other peoples' thoughts are on the Taxi album. I think it ranks as one of Ferry's best solo albums, as it shows a more original slant on cover versions than those on, say, Dylanesque or The Bride Stripped Bare. In that way, it's a bit of a throwback to some of his first solo tracks. It's also a pleasingly coherent album, with a similar sound on all the tracks which I think still avoids sounding repetitive.

Post subject: Re: thoughts on Taxi
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:32 am 

I have always liked 'Taxi', covers or not there is a 'Ferry' sound to this record. He has a way of blending musicians like no one else. The mark of a good Ferry/Roxy track for me is to take his voice off it and you still know it is his record. I much prefer this album to 'Another Time, Another Place' or 'In Your Mind'

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:52 pm 

Hi! I agree that Taxi is a very good album. I am especially fond of the first track, I put a spell on you - a perfect opener for live shows. I was lucky to attend a couple of Tokyo shows in the year of 95 with that setting.
Not being a Dylan fan, I found Dylanesque to be far better than Dylan!
As for new releases, my wish is that Bryan Ferry will do a solo album with mostly self penned songs. I doubt that a new Roxy album will ever appear. The task is just to heavy; be faithful to the early era, be as elegant as Avalon - and then to throw in something new as well. It is to ask for too much. We should be ;) happy for the outstanding 8 that we have.
Cheers to you all, Magnus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:28 pm 

I also like Taxi, there are a couple of dubious covers on the album (Amazing Grace & All Tomorrows Parties), but the fact that it was all recorded around the same time with Robin Trower doing a great production job the album does sound coherant and well recorded, I like the less dense sound that has bogged Ferry down so much, pre & post this album. It is possibly Ferry's last great album as a vocalist, as his voice has sounded weaker on subsequant albums.
I Put A Spell On You, Answer Me, Rescue Me and Taxi are all top Ferry solo songs, brilliant covers.
As I've said AG & ATP's I don't think work that well, but the main dissapointment of the album for me is Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow, I think that Ferry would have nailed this song around the time of These Foolish Things with a simple piano/acoustic arrangement. I still like Ferry's version, but think it could have been so much more, much like A Fool For Love on Frantic, great song, but fails in it's arrangement and recording. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:37 am 

I hate to be the only dissenter, but i find Taxi. unlistenable. It is as bad in my mind as Mamouna. I think Will You Love me Tomorrow is cringe-worthy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:26 pm 

>>I hate to be the only dissenter, but i find Taxi. unlistenable. It is as bad in my mind as Mamouna.<<

I'm sure you're not the only one EERO. Different strokes for different folks. It's great that we are all different, have different opinions, love and hate different Roxy/Bryan albums.

Personally I love Taxi, I love the whole mood of the album. It was amazing that Bryan managed to come up with such a great sounding album so quickly, have been bogged down with the Horoscope project for so long. I would say that of his albums solely devoted to covers (including ATAP) it's my favourite. Particular fav tracks are I Put A Spell On You, Girl Of My Best Friend and Taxi, the one dud (and it's a big one) is Amazing Grace.

As for Mamouna...well that my favourite Bryan solo album...with Your Painted Smile the fav track. I love it's layered texture, the way it works as a whole mood. Even now having listened to it countless times over the years, I can still find some new sound hidden deep inside.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:55 pm 

One of the things I disliked about Taxi is the keyboard noise
which I think was called "The witch"...... it appears all over the album whooping through the songs and to my ear sounds uncomfortable ...

Having said that , I do like " Rescue Me" and the cheeky version of "Answer Me" .
I also like the title track ,
particularly the piano noise at the intro when it falls into the melody ... I know this sounds cheesy but it reminds me of songs from the mid seventies by bands like Chicago and makes me feel nostalgic for that time in my life.
Some tracks on Mamouna also have that annoying "Witch" noise .. most notably ... "NYC" and "Gemini Moon" - weak tracks which have
" Filler" written all over ..
BUT on the whole I find Mamouna a hugely satisfying album .. "Which Way to Turn" is gorgeous and epic ..
A Chain Reaction is like a half remembered dream about seventies soul
music ... as fragile as a spiders web .. each part supporting the next
before the song almost falls apart - I think it's beautifull and will suggest that the piano at the end is like a hommage to Aladdin Sane. So much of this Album is hard to categorize in a way similiar to early Roxy - " Don't want to know " comes to mind here - "The Only Face" pulls at all the heart strings .. the chorus in the title track is almost Rockabilly.. Ironically, the least said about the collaboration of Wildcat days, the better...........
We had to wait a few more years for "I Thought" before that worked out !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:04 pm 

I think its his best solo album - I love the feel of it - funky but atmospheric