VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Book Rights
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:42 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:
... and both Paul and Lawrence Watson signed all 2000 copies ...

And that's one thing I don't understand concerning the 'Avonmore' SE. Wouldn't it have been possible for Bryan Ferry to sign ALL of them and not making a lottery out of it? It's a heavy price and the guarantee to get a personal autograph would have been absolutely appropriate, in PMNSHO. That could have even opened my wallet ...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:41 am 

Bryan Ferry : Journey of the pit ponies to studio 54

I imagined a Richard Hamilton collage of Roxy album covers, studio 54 and Bryan rather than Bianca astride a pit pony wearing a disco ball pit helmet.

I find autobiographies formulaic and with the Internet and Wikipedia they don't give much more. Bryan is not likely to 'kiss and tell' so it could also be rather dull.

He is well read though with a keen interest on art, fashion and music. The 'essay' type book on these themes interwined with own tales could be fascinating.

I too thought the picture book was going to be more than Avonmore. Maybe it's a taster for things to come.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:33 am 

Topiary wrote:
I find autobiographies formulaic and with the Internet and Wikipedia they don't give much more. Bryan is not likely to 'kiss and tell' so it could also be rather dull.

He is well read though with a keen interest on art, fashion and music. The 'essay' type book on these themes interwined with own tales could be fascinating.

Cher Topiary,
W2 thinks it depends.
Frankly, Keith Richards' 'Life' is a work of genius as was Sylvie Simmons' 'I'm Your Man: The Life of Leonard Cohen'. And, although not a particular fan of Ronnie Wood, Windswept thought he made a good fist of his biography. Largely because the way he described the gigs and recording sessions was so good it virtually made you feel that you were in the room with him.
That said, Jools Holland's was hugely disappointing and Eric Clapton's opus was boring beyond belief.
What it hinges on is really their capacity to be able to describe what inspires them in their music, the feelings it evokes and their relationship with other musicians. If they focus on their work, they can be hugely informative and entertaining in a way that the internet and Whikelapedia can never be.
The Bonny Lad's contribution to modern music is up there with Sinatra's and his story deserves to be told but it should be told by somebody really good.
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:40 pm 

Agree, potentially a fantastic and essential read and, yes, has to be written by someone equally good. Someone he can trust too.

The brief interview Bryan did about Isabella Blow was the best I've experienced - unguarded, personal and very touching. And part sampled on the Lost remix.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:41 pm 

Both Topiary and Windswept2's posts make excellent points, I wholeheartedly agree with their views.

Now, dear W2, why don't the pair of us offer our services, we can knock on his Kensington door and start with the opening lines:

"Annabel's, Sunderland 1972, you spilt my pint!"
:lol:
"And nicked me lass." :x

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:41 pm 

rendezvous wrote:
Now, dear W2, why don't the pair of us offer our services, we can knock on his Kensington door and start with the opening lines:

"Annabel's, Sunderland 1972, you spilt my pint!"
:lol:
"And nicked me lass." :x

Cher rendezvous,
W2 spilt his pint (actually a large Hendrick's & tonic these days) when he read this.
Hilarious and probably more true than you'll ever know!
Great days - Windswept used to love that place and remembers discussing Roxy's first album with John Harker (RIP) for hours. What a great DJ that guy was.
Salutations & have a great week-end.
Windswept

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:22 pm 

Applying the usual BF lead-in times and delays, this ought to be due any decade now, shouldn't it?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:43 am 

UKRichard wrote:
Applying the usual BF lead-in times and delays, this ought to be due any decade now, shouldn't it?

I heard the knot in Ferry's tie was sitting 0.35mm too low in the image being used for the dust jacket so there will be at least another five year delay. ;)

8-)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:54 am 

Roxy wrote:
UKRichard wrote:

I heard the knot in Ferry's tie was sitting 0.35mm too low in the image being used for the dust jacket so there will be at least another five year delay. ;)

8-)

Mes Amis,

‘UKRichard’ and ‘Roxy’ have nailed it mais, can you imagine the angst of the ghost writer ?

One can envisage Ferry having him or her incarcerated in a cottage at the bottom of his orchard. An NDA prohibits them leaving or discussing contents until the opus is delivered.

So far, they’ve been incarcerated since the release of ‘Boys & Girls’ and have only completed two chapters.

Ferry’s PA has scheduled weekly meetings with all bar one being cancelled. The last 34 years have not been easy for the unnamed incarcerated author but the living is good.

The project stalled at the end of chapter 2 when Bryan couldn’t find the words to describe his parents wallpaper.

Hope still springs eternal. Bryan knocked on the cottage door last week but the author’s hopes were dashed when they discovered that he was only looking for a tennis partner. His regular had cancelled due to the Coronavirus outbreak!

W2 will keep you posted regarding developments.

Salutations a tous,

Windswept.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:34 am 

Ahhh W2, precisely the sort of levity we need right now. Speaking of levity, and entirely unrelated to anything remotely RM/BF, https://youtu.be/xBJmHS5I4do :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next